Over the Garden Fence - Gardening Forums

I wear the doggone pants. Translation: Help me

Pull up a chair and grab a cup of Java for a cozy chat about what's on your mind and what's happening in your neck of the woods. This is a strictly for fun non-gardening topics.

Re: I wear the doggone pants. Translation: Help me

Postby Eeyore » Aug 18, 2012 1:11 pm

Well Dumbo, you are pooched! LMAO! You set yourself up and the family jumped through all the hoops. I agree with Dave though, that dog will end up bonding with you above all the others mainly because you are the one there most of the time and we all know that you talk tough but are a real softy at heart.
Yes, there are doggie diapers and Brenda is right keep her on a short leash and in the house until she's out of heat. A dog house is a good idea and a caged lightbulb and straw will provide enough heat in the winter. If she is anything like the husky mix we had at one time she'll likely sleep in a snow bank anyway!
She is cute, and looks to be pretty docile. What is her name?
Lyn
AB, Zone 3A
----------------------------------
“Those who say it can't be done are usually interrupted by others doing it.” ` James Arthur Baldwin"
Eeyore

Postby B_BQ » Aug 18, 2012 2:25 pm

Another thought Marc!
Even if you have a fenced yard - beware! Huskies are notoriously good jumpers.
There are several types of 'Huskies' - Keeshund, Malamute, Siberian; but the one we know more about is the Siberian.
We had friends who very rarely got away for a weekend because they boarded dogs, bred dogs themselves, showed, and had a Best in Show winner Siberian Husky. They asked us if could look after the Siberian for the weekend. They had seen our set-up and felt that she would be safe. We had 6' high runs - not very wide but quite long, with gates that locked from the outside. So, she had plenty of room to move around. Of course we didn't mind. We took her for walks on leash, as we did with our own dogs, but put her in what we thought was a very safe 'run' for the evening. After a couple of hours we checked on her ----- gone!!!!!! Gate was still locked! She'd either scrambled up and over or half scrambled and jumped the rest over the top, and took off! Talk about panic!!!! We spent several hours looking for her, and eventually did find her fortunately. They sure can jump and run fast!
A funny story - another friend had a black Labrador who was in heat. They watched her like a hawk but did put her in an outside run for a couple of hours so that they could get other things done. When they looked again she had a male companion - INSIDE the run. I think there were 3 or 4 mixed breed pups from that meeting! They put a top on the run after that!
~BBQ
Zone 5b
South/Central Ontario

Every day may not be good, but there's something good in every day
~ Author Unknown
B_BQ

Postby Dumbo » Aug 18, 2012 7:13 pm

bluewillow wrote:I've been enjoying this saga Marc.

Now, have you considered a dog house for the wee lady and has she been named?

Well I'm glad. I about bust a blood vessel in my head. I'm still majorly ticked off.

Dog ran away this morning. WHO do you think they came running to? Told them it's part of their job, go find it. And they found it 20-min later.

I don't know how it got out of the yard. Only way possible was jumping the gate area which is 4-feet high, rest is 6 feet high. Find it hard to believe that little poop machine jumped that.

Then they tied it on the side of the house (outside the gated area). Never have we seen a dog in this area. What do we see? this little tiny terrier dog trying to hump it. Told them they better do something, part of their job.

I'll buy the food. Told them my job ends there.

The fricking ugly name is what the previous owner called it, mooshy or mooshie. I call it ahole.

B_BQ wrote:Even if you have a fenced yard - beware! Huskies are notoriously good jumpers.

ah. think we found that out around 8 this morning. Will know what other traits it has soon enough, I guess.

Malamute, yeah that's what the guy said. and the rest must be german shepard, as you mentioned.

There is no way possible to keep this thing in the yard. If we tie it and it jumps the fence again it will likely hang itself, eventually. The only place is where I did my garden. The rest is all swimming pool. I'm surprised it hasn't drowned yet.

Tie it in the driveway/side of the house, it gets humped. Where the heck did this this other dog come from?

And the vet won't touch it for 2 months from whatever day it decides to stop bleeding all over the house. Grrrr

Puppies... Don't get me going.

Wife sure was nice last night and this morning... She never makes me a coffee.

Kids actually think i'll gas it, so they are walking it every hour instead of playing on facebook. At least that's one plus. I doubt this will last more than a week or two.

Grrrr. Donna is the only one who made any sense here. Even if she did called me gay.
The internet is a very, very, serious entity created solely for commercial gains.
Canadian Gardening made me a hardcore separatist
Dumbo

Postby styric » Aug 18, 2012 8:33 pm

Okay. First off. The dog got loose in heat. Everybody in the house needs a good smack upside the head. NEVER LET A DOG IN HEAT LOOSE IN A YARD WITHOUT SUPERVISION! EVER!! EVER EVER EVER! They will jump an 8 foot fence, or a male will breed through the slats. I'm dead serious. Any one of my four dogs could clear 4' from a standstill, without breaking a sweat.

Take that dog to the vet now, and get an anti-pregnancy shot. Otherwise you're paying for a spay abort. I can nearly guarantee she got bred or went looking while out there. Do you want puppies?

If you can't keep her in the yard, take her out to do her business on a leash or 10-20' check line (just a rope with a clip on the end hooked to her collar), which you should be doing while she's in heat anyways.

If you don't like the blood, then take boy's boxers and put them on backwards on her, with her tail out of the fly slot. Put a feminine pad in to catch the blood, and you'll have no more messes in the house and no need to have blankets and towels everywhere.

Second, if you don't like shedding, put her on a better diet. Not grocery store food, but one that http://dogfoodanalysis.com/ rates at 3-4*+. Bad food affects skin, which makes shedding worse. The food you can get from grocery stores is equivalent to mcdonalds. Good for a snack, but NOT something you want anybody to eat day in and day out for health reasons.

She should be brushed every day or two, which will also help with the shedding.

Mutts don't necessarily mean free from defects. My 7yo has hip dysplasia, arthritis and progressive blindness. She's a mutt. My purebred Doberman on the other hand, has seen the vet once for his shots, and gets diarrhea if you shake a stick at him. That's it.

Get into obedience classes, and make your kids and wife go. An introduction 'here's your new dog, and here is how to train it' is a very good place to start.

I can guarantee the dog knows your opinion of her and is trying to make you happy. Give her the time of day, and make your kids and wife do the work. You get to pet her, they get to deal with her. Stick to your guns, they MUST keep the responsibility. But you need to change your attitude about her, if only to her. She's done nothing wrong except existing and having the bad luck of being with the owners who had her as a breeding machine then being abandoned.

If you're not willing to make sure the family puts what is needed into her, then I'd find her a new home. Dogs are a commitment, and have exercise, living and household requirements. And I really don't believe in outdoor living dogs to be honest, especially with a 4' fence. Chaining them 24/7 is cruelty.

Yes I'm harsh. But I bust my butt 24/7, while disabled and in excruciating pain at all times, to make sure that mine are well cared for and happy. Dogs are my joy. I have a purebred 10 month old Doberman and service dog prospect puppy who still has his wedding tackle from an extremely reputable kennel in the states, three rescued females.. a 2 year old GSD/coyote, a 7 yo Rottweiler/Lab/Golden, and a 13 yo husky whippet. All but the GSD were put through at least one heat to fully develop before spayed, and my Doberman is never out unattended or off leash off my property.
The most effective mosquito repellent is a shotgun.
styric

Postby styric » Aug 18, 2012 8:43 pm

Forgot to mention, an older female rescue will be the best dog they could have come up with once she settles into the family. She's past the puppy stupids, and just wants a couch to sleep on and a family to love her. She'll be an awesome addition for your family
styric

Postby Dumbo » Aug 18, 2012 9:11 pm

styric wrote:Everybody in the house needs a good smack upside the head.

+1
I love you.
You are now my fav person (after Donna, even if she did call me gay).
Can I pay you to come here and smack them?
Who woulda thought I would hire a hit-woman in a garden forum?

styric wrote:Take that dog to the vet now, and get an anti-pregnancy shot.

That exists? Vet said it's after she stops bleeding, whenever that is, will be when the trouble will start.

styric wrote:Yes I'm harsh.

Harsh?
When can you get here and give the smack down?

You and Donna are on my Xmas list.
The internet is a very, very, serious entity created solely for commercial gains.
Dumbo

Postby Clyde212 » Aug 18, 2012 9:18 pm

I also have been enjoying reading about Dumbo's tribulations. It has all reinforced what I have always known...I am not a dog person. Lovely creatures to cuddle at someone else's house but I will stick to cats (have 2). I mean, 6 foot fences aren't enough! Yikes!

FYI - Marc, did you ever really wear the pants?
Montreal Zone 5a/b
Clyde212

Postby styric » Aug 18, 2012 9:36 pm

Dumbo wrote:
styric wrote:Everybody in the house needs a good smack upside the head.

+1
I love you.
You are now my fav person (after Donna, even if she did call me gay).
Can I pay you to come here and smack them?
Who woulda thought I would hire a hit-woman in a garden forum?

styric wrote:Take that dog to the vet now, and get an anti-pregnancy shot.

That exists? Vet said it's after she stops bleeding, whenever that is, will be when the trouble will start.

styric wrote:Yes I'm harsh.

Harsh?
When can you get here and give the smack down?

You and Donna are on my Xmas list.

I was including you in said smack.

Yes, the vet can, and if they didn't tell you about it when you told them your bitch got out in standing heat, then get a new vet.

It's used to prevent a bred female from continuing the pregnancy. And is not cheap. If it's too late (has a 72 hour window, think of it as morning after pill for dogs), then you have the option of something called a spay abort. That's where they do a risky spay, and remove the puppies as well as the uterus. This is not cheap surgery, and is dangerous to a point. With her age, situation and prognosis, I'd pretty much say Do It. There is no need for more mutt puppies out there, and a C-Section if she runs into pregnancy trouble costs more and I've had three friends in the last two months lose either an entire litter of puppies as well as the female's breeding abilities, and in two cases lose the puppies AND the mother. These were well bred, titled showing bitches, who were very loved and their extremely experienced owners took the most precautions they could and spared no expenses. Not one of those bills was less than $8000. Do you have that much cash sitting around, on top of partum care, checkups, puppy checks to make sure pregnancy is progressing properly, whelping box etc?

Not to mention you could have anywhere from 1-14 of the blighters running around, that you must pay for food, vet care, shots etc until they're minimum 7 weeks old. Then you'll have to find homes for each and every one of them, and make sure they're spayed/neutered.
styric

Postby Dumbo » Aug 18, 2012 9:52 pm

styric wrote:I was including you in said smack.

Me? What did I do? I don't want this thing. I want nothing to do with it. I was glad it took off this morning. Didn't expect to see it back here. This thing is not my problem, nor will I let it be.

Wife can use her gym membership money and the kids can drop some sports to pay for the dog and it's operations. Let them learn about "costs associated". I won't. I won't lift a finger for it. I absolutely refuse.

Told wife about this shot, she will call Monday and ask about it.

Clyde212 wrote:FYI - Marc, did you ever really wear the pants?

Appears not...
tutu.jpg
tutu.jpg (6.13 KiB) Viewed 1145 times
Dumbo

Postby styric » Aug 18, 2012 9:57 pm

By Monday it'll be too late, that's already 72 hours out. Call tomorrow, or tonight.

I was smacking you, because you have an awesome chance to help an old girl who probably has never had anybody to call family before. She deserves a chance, with somebody. I'd take her if I could legally have more, but I'm at capacity both space and money wise. Four are NOT cheap to feed properly! :lol:

To cheer up the thread, here's my four poop machines:

The 2yo GSD coydog who is my son's best friend, husband's running partner and the resident couch puppy. She's really low energy so awesome. She plays hard from 6-11am, then crashes until 4pm in her crate, gets her run in the evenings and spends all evening playing with her toys and the Doberman.

The 7yo Rottie X. She's my retired sport dog, and has cost me a FORTUNE in vet bills over the years. $1500 in a single fell swoop at 6 months old, and went on from there. She has hip dysplasia (which was kept under control by a very strict conditioning regime) that went arthritic just this year. She started losing her eyesight two years ago, and I retired her from agility and rally though we still go and pootle. She's medium-high energy, and was a walking sh*tstorm as a pup. Always will be my best girl. She sleeps 3/4 of the day now.

The 13 yo Whippet x. She's my husband's old dog, and his best friend since she was a very little pup. She's been everywhere, done everything, and is more than slightly messed up in the head. She is bombproof now that she's older, and the best family dog eva. She sleeps almost all day.

And the newest addition as of May, this is my Doberman service dog prospect. He's currently in training for CGN obedience and rally-o, slowly, as I'm trying not to blow his mind. He is from a very respected kennel in the states and washed out from showing due to an accident on his show side ear. He's the most stable, sane, quiet puppy I've EVER met. He's the most loving, velcro, sweet thing on four legs, protective of me and the house, adores children (he wants to take them all home and name them squishy), and quiet for a Doberman who are high energy dogs. He's also a complete a@@ now that he's figured out what girls are... Can you tell he annoyed me today peeing on everything taller than three inches and generally being a dork?

styric

PreviousNext

Return to Over the Garden Fence