Over the Garden Fence - Gardening Forums

I wear the doggone pants. Translation: Help me

Pull up a chair and grab a cup of Java for a cozy chat about what's on your mind and what's happening in your neck of the woods. This is a strictly for fun non-gardening topics.

Re: I wear the doggone pants. Translation: Help me

Postby Dumbo » Sep 06, 2012 9:36 pm

oh.... I didn't tell you the story about the maggots, did i?
The internet is a very, very, serious entity created solely for commercial gains.
Canadian Gardening made me a hardcore separatist
Dumbo

Postby Big Smile » Sep 06, 2012 9:43 pm

Dumbo wrote:oh.... I didn't tell you the story about the maggots, did i?

Maggots,,,what next??
Thats a pretty neat fountain!! Your dog is spoiled !!!!
Big Smile

Postby kelly_m » Sep 06, 2012 9:47 pm

geez Clara...I was just going to say Holy frig!! LOL

Yep...spoiled Mooshie...

Maggots? in the water?
Kelly
Zone 5a/b

OLD GARDENERS NEVER DIE. THEY JUST SPADE AWAY
kelly_m

Postby Dumbo » Sep 06, 2012 10:00 pm

We only go through a little white garbage bag a week here. Everything mostly ends up in the recycling bin, or the city compost bin outside. Both are well tied up/secured, outside.

So... Remember when I said the dog wouldn't eat any can food. My wife, for some reason, decided not to put the old canned dog food it didn't eat in the compost and tie it up good. Instead she just tossed it in the kitchen garbage can.

A couple of days ago i was saying, WTF is that smell in the house. We looked all over and found nothing. Blamed it on a dish rag and tossed it in the washer. The next day I still smell it and so I figured it was another dirty dish rag... who knows what kids do type thing.

Then last night I hear.. Eeeeeiii, aaaaaaaaah, Maaaaaaaaaaaarc, eeeeeeeeeeeiii, aaaaaaaah (insert puking sounds) aaaaaaaah Maaaaaaaaaaaaarc.

I run out and said what the hell is wrong. Why are you screaming. Wife points at the floor while gagging and almost puking. FULL of little white maggots all over the floor.

Worse part (or in my view, the best part), I always put my shoes away. Wife and kids have a 2 foot pile of shoes near the door I always fall over. The maggots were falling off into their shoes. HAH.

So when I checked where it was coming from, it was the old canned dog food they tossed in the garbage can. Wife screamed at me to get rid of it. So I did, then walked away.

Told her it was her dog, her shoes, her problem. Live and learn.

I heard puking sounds for a good hour before she finished up and broke out the Lysol. :p Kids were also gagging.

Was a fun lesson.

So that my new dog story and another lesson learned for her.

I refused to touch it. I never wanted a dog. Bet they don't toss old food and leave it rotting in the kitchen garbage can again.

EDIT:
This is up there with her walking in dog poop. :p
The internet is a very, very, serious entity created solely for commercial gains.
Dumbo

Postby Dumbo » Sep 06, 2012 10:13 pm

Big Smile wrote:Thats a pretty neat fountain!! Your dog is spoiled !!!!

Dog seems to like it. Cats don't know what to make of it yet. It looks exactly like the picture except bigger. Has a carbon filter on it and a reservoir.

All these neat little toys....
Dumbo

Postby Eeyore » Sep 06, 2012 10:19 pm

This isn't about Marc liking the dog at all. It's about the toys and Marc's inner scientist. I'm sure he's buying all the bags of dog food so he can analyze them somehow.
Lyn
AB, Zone 3A
----------------------------------
“Those who say it can't be done are usually interrupted by others doing it.” ` James Arthur Baldwin"
Eeyore

Postby Dumbo » Sep 06, 2012 10:27 pm

Well... Not analyzing. But comparing ingredients, fillers, etc yeah. Of course. But it doesn't matter. It won't eat more than 2 cups of each diff thing I buy. After that it won't look at it.

But yeah, some of the toys are neat :P

EDIT:
Can't wait to build a dog mansion.
Dumbo

Postby Dumbo » Sep 07, 2012 10:25 pm

Hundreds of dog house designs on the net. Is there any one that is better than the rest?

And, I gave up trying to feed this thing dog food. So I looked up balanced homemade dog foods and will makes batches myself. Many of the so called experts say to add cod liver oil and a calcium supplements. But I'll have to find dog daily allowances and try and balance that I guess.

So I did one today with chicken breast, diff types of rice, veggies etc. I thought I was smart and mixed in some dry dog food in it before giving it to the dog. Kid distracted me and said, "is that our supper"? I said yeah, stuck a spoon in it and said, want a taste? To show her I stuck the spoon in my mouth... forgot I had just put dry dog food in it. I vomited on myself. :/ Kid laughed at me.
Dumbo

Postby DonnaZn2SK » Sep 08, 2012 12:42 am

Marc,
There is lots of information online about feeding dogs a raw meat diet. You can either prepare it yourself or buy frozen pucks of food, which would be more expensive.

You might not know it, but I think you and the dog are bonding over poop and maggots.
DonnaZn2SK

Postby Dumbo » Sep 08, 2012 12:55 am

Raw food won't happen. Bro-in-laws kid was snipped at and actually got salmonella from the dog bite. Doc said it was from a raw food diet the bro-in-laws dog was on.

I'm reading that they are discouraging this now-a-days.

DonnaZn2SK wrote:I think you and the dog are bonding over poop and maggots.

LOL
Today I put a handful of white rice in the better-halfs running shoes. As she went to bring the dog for a walk all i heard was AAAAH AAAAH AAAAAH AAAAH

ahahaha I almost peed myself. was worth being whacked with a shoe.
Dumbo

PreviousNext

Return to Over the Garden Fence