Over the Garden Fence - Gardening Forums

I wear the doggone pants. Translation: Help me

Pull up a chair and grab a cup of Java for a cozy chat about what's on your mind and what's happening in your neck of the woods. This is a strictly for fun non-gardening topics.

Re: I wear the doggone pants. Translation: Help me

Postby Dumbo » Aug 18, 2012 10:12 pm

wow nice colour on that doberman. I've only ever seen (up close) the regular black and a blue doberman that a friend has. The blue one will hunt down a running grown man while running on it's hind legs only while biting down on your neck. I made this mistake once while playing with it. Once it's close to you, front legs go on your shoulders and teeth go in your neck. It chomped down on the side of my neck. Glad it was in play mode. Not sure if all dobermans are like this...
The internet is a very, very, serious entity created solely for commercial gains.
Canadian Gardening made me a hardcore separatist
Dumbo

Postby styric » Aug 18, 2012 11:51 pm

Dumbo wrote:wow nice colour on that doberman. I've only ever seen (up close) the regular black and a blue doberman that a friend has. The blue one will hunt down a running grown man while running on it's hind legs only while biting down on your neck. I made this mistake once while playing with it. Once it's close to you, front legs go on your shoulders and teeth go in your neck. It chomped down on the side of my neck. Glad it was in play mode. Not sure if all dobermans are like this...

Not at all, that dog is terribly trained. 100% owner fail. Any large powerful dog that does that needs an attitude adjustment. He is not my first working breed, as you can see. Rotties also have alot of the same requirements, and equally as ruined by a bad owner.

Dobes are big, very rambunctious, powerful dogs and mouthy as pups. However it is owner's job to teach them NOT to. These are working dogs, and they have higher training and exercise requirements than most other breeds. They were bred to be independent minded, stubborn, demanding and not biddable. They also have instinctive same sex aggression that makes them not a good candidate for dog parks or loose settings. On the flip side, they are also exceptionally intuitive of their owner's needs and adjust their energy levels accordingly. When I'm too sick to work him, he's willing to sleep all day at my feet. When I'm fine, he'll run for hours. He reads my moods perfectly, alerts when I'm getting ill. They, as a breed, are also incredibly velcro. They're pretty much permanently attached to your leg and if they could they'd invent a way to be petted 24/7. ANY breed fan will tell you that once you get one, you never pee alone again. As a bonus, he also adores children and is extraordinarily gentle with them. If he could, he'd take them all home and snuggle them. Today he nuzzled a 3 month old girl, and curled up around her stroller making sure her daddy knew she was dirty and needed a change.

To ethically care for one, obedience to a CGN level is a minimal must IMO, and the opinion of most decent breeders. These are not beginner dogs, and require firm but fair leadership. They're very intelligent, very emotionally sensitive, and have a sense of fair play that doesn't take well to alpha rolling/jerk and yell type training. However they're also not very good with 100% positive reinforcement/clicker training either as they'll walk over you like a doormat if given half a chance.

I assure you, if any of my dogs dared to a fraction of what that dog did to you, they'd realize within a second that they have VERY MUCH made a grave error of judgement. I don't allow jumping up, I don't allow nipping or placement of mouth on skin, or even bad manners in general, or I reign hell upon them. :lol: Mommy is not to be crossed, and every single one of my dogs knows which side their bread is buttered.

Doberman is even more extensively trained, if he's going to be an SD, he's expected to uphold IAADP standards for public behavior. He's SSA (same sex aggressive), but he wouldn't dare even posture at another male with my hand on his leash. He's also intact, and doesn't mark, hump, clack or harrass females. I don't put up with that nonsense in my household, and nip it in the bud as soon as he starts thinking he's the big man.

I wish all owners knew what these dogs required before they got one. They're the sweetest, best dogs ever, but they are by no means a wash and wear one.
The most effective mosquito repellent is a shotgun.
styric

Postby davefrombc » Aug 19, 2012 12:00 am

Get the shot right away Marc.. If my friend had known at the time there was a shot available her dog would not have gotten prego from the single time her dog got caught .. She ended up with raising 7 puppies and her kids begged me into taking one.Her dog is spayed now , and I have another dog after I said no more. He was a real handful as a pup. Ate a lot of things with his puppy chewing ; but I will not give him up now .. Still a high energy handful at 20 months, but getting better.
BC Fraser Valley zone 7/8
davefrombc

Postby styric » Aug 19, 2012 12:19 am

It is called a mismate shot. It has a high list of risks (sterility, pyometra etc) so vets discourage it and will try and talk you out of it. However you're spaying directly after, as soon as the safe window is entered, so it shouldn't be as much a risk since most of the risks are uterine risks which you are removing anyways. Pregnancy is equally as risky, for more lives at stake.
styric

Postby styric » Aug 19, 2012 12:25 am

Also, you can try prostraglandin if you're out of the window. http://www.dogchannel.com/dog-breeds/do ... 295-2.aspx

Again, you'll have to have words with your vet to even be offered this option.

Stick to your guns.
styric

Postby Dumbo » Aug 19, 2012 1:25 am

Well I'm pretty sure it didn't get humped today, but, what I don't know is what has been going on before the jerk brought this dog here.

As far as I know it's been running around loose before it got here.

Told the wife not to get too attached to it, if that thing is pregnant i'll be driving it back personally.
The internet is a very, very, serious entity created solely for commercial gains.
Canadian Gardening made me a hardcore separatist
Dumbo

Postby Ron Evers » Aug 19, 2012 6:46 pm

I am not a dog person, we had one once, it was just a shit factory. We kept it tethered but the bitch would sometimes get away thinking it was a blood thirsty Indian & come home chewing on feminine hygiene products. It was raped on our porch unable to get away & had a bunch more shit machines.
Ron.

The wood is clear between the knots.
Ron Evers

Postby Katherine » Aug 19, 2012 9:00 pm

If I can dare to weigh in with an opinion, taking on a bitch in heat when you dont even really want one, and no one is in the family is knowledgeable or realistic about their care, is not going to do the dog any good at all. Also its going to be really hard on the family, starting out like this. Talking about setting your selves up for conflict! I would be willing to bet this poor animal is pregnant now. Who ever sold the dog to your wife (did I get this right?) in this condition (the dog not the wife) should take it back. This whole thing, (and Rons language too) is disgraceful, actually. Its actually really sad to read it.

I love dogs, but I will admit they can be a lot of work. Especially a pregnant female or a female in heat.

The poor thing.
Katherine

Postby B_BQ » Aug 19, 2012 9:20 pm

This thread is really upsetting.
There's rarely such a thing as a bad dog. Bad owners for the most part, who can't be bothered or who are pretty dumb when it comes to teaching the dog how it should behave.
I cannot believe that intelligent(!) people would just tie a dog up outside and leave it there. What is that teaching the dog. It's certainly not teaching a dog how to interact with people. It's cruel and sad.
For the sake of a few minutes of teaching per day most dogs will learn - they need to learn and most want to learn what their 'people' want from them.
If a dog is not wanted in a household then it shouldn't be in that particular household.
I would like to see someone take responsibility for this poor animal in Marc's household. Give it the attention it needs, get it veterinary care if it's needed, and then find it a wonderful home where she will be trained, loved and wanted. And let her be happy and loved for once in her life.
If you can't afford the vet fees then let me know!!!!
~BBQ
Zone 5b
South/Central Ontario

Every day may not be good, but there's something good in every day
~ Author Unknown
B_BQ

Postby styric » Aug 19, 2012 10:30 pm

B_BQ wrote:This thread is really upsetting.
There's rarely such a thing as a bad dog. Bad owners for the most part, who can't be bothered or who are pretty dumb when it comes to teaching the dog how it should behave.
I cannot believe that intelligent(!) people would just tie a dog up outside and leave it there. What is that teaching the dog. It's certainly not teaching a dog how to interact with people. It's cruel and sad.
For the sake of a few minutes of teaching per day most dogs will learn - they need to learn and most want to learn what their 'people' want from them.
If a dog is not wanted in a household then it shouldn't be in that particular household.
I would like to see someone take responsibility for this poor animal in Marc's household. Give it the attention it needs, get it veterinary care if it's needed, and then find it a wonderful home where she will be trained, loved and wanted. And let her be happy and loved for once in her life.
If you can't afford the vet fees then let me know!!!!
~BBQ

[/quote]

Amen. I cannot believe Ron's attitude, or his language, or Dumbo's attitude on this. It infuriates me when people are this smart in their normal life, and so cruel to those who have no voice.

If the dog is pregnant, it's your fault. If you tie her outside on the porch, or let her loose in a yard with a short fence and she gets that way. That's owner fail. Now it's your responsibility to do something about it. Take her to the vet, and get that dealt with. If you think it's too much money, just remember that YOU let her get that way. It's not her fault.

So is not giving the dog training, love, attention and the things she needs to thrive. She's not a thing. She is a living, thinking, breathing creature with emotions. If you can't accept this, take her to the vet, and find her a home where people DO understand this and are willing to step up to the plate.

I'm truly floored, and infuriated.
styric

PreviousNext

Return to Over the Garden Fence