Over the Garden Fence - Gardening Forums

I wear the doggone pants. Translation: Help me

Pull up a chair and grab a cup of Java for a cozy chat about what's on your mind and what's happening in your neck of the woods. This is a strictly for fun non-gardening topics.

Re: I wear the doggone pants. Translation: Help me

Postby Dumbo » Aug 20, 2012 6:01 am

Katherine wrote:If I can dare to weigh in with an opinion, taking on a bitch in heat when you dont even really want one, and no one is in the family is knowledgeable or realistic about their care, is not going to do the dog any good at all. Also its going to be really hard on the family, starting out like this. Talking about setting your selves up for conflict!

I agree 100%. You should have saw my face after the guy left and I saw the trail of blood. My eyes were rolling to the back of my head.

As for the rest of it: I refuse to take part in it. They did the dumb move, they can now take care of all.

Katherine wrote:I would be willing to bet this poor animal is pregnant now. Who ever sold the dog to your wife (did I get this right?) in this condition (the dog not the wife) should take it back.

I couldn't agree more. Not sold, but given. Guy had to get rid of dogs. SPCA was on him. He had no way of taking care of them. Seems this idiot tried to make money selling fake huskies. It came very close to a fight at the front door. Guy left pretty fast when he saw me, my face and my attitude. It being in heat was the icing on the cake. I have zero doubts it was humped before he brought this thing to us after leaving it running loose, as this guy did.

Katherine wrote: This whole thing, (and Rons language too) is disgraceful, actually.
It actually really is disgraceful. I'm pretty put off by the actions of my wife here. I find this whole thing completely idiotic.

But, since I'm not lifting a finger, and with them doing the work, there is no better way for them to learn. I'm just ignoring it.

Wife agreed to bring it back to the jerk if it is pregnant. But I dunno, I'm the type of person where a pet is for life and not one of these idiots who buys a diff dog every 2 two years while sending the old one packing.

So the wife could be in for a surprise if I change my mind, find out it's pregnant and me saying you have to keep it now. Good luck. heh

B_BQ wrote:This thread is really upsetting.
There's rarely such a thing as a bad dog. Bad owners for the most part, who can't be bothered or who are pretty dumb when it comes to teaching the dog how it should behave.
I cannot believe that intelligent(!) people would just tie a dog up outside and leave it there. What is that teaching the dog. It's certainly not teaching a dog how to interact with people. It's cruel and sad.
For the sake of a few minutes of teaching per day most dogs will learn - they need to learn and most want to learn what their 'people' want from them.

I think your imagination is getting the best of you.

Actually, each time it's out, we have no choice but to tie it. It will hop the fence from a sitting position. It will jump 4 feet high over the fence and then what.... take off and get hit buy a car? No choice. Has to be tied when we put it out. The only time it won't take off is if you are with it.

Should I tell the wife, people said don't tie it? And when the dog is gone, will you drive over to find it? It jumps the fence.

Thing needs no training. It's actually a very good dog. I'm sorta surprised. But it refuses to be left alone in the yard. Maybe once it's operated on (if it isn't pregnant) it will calm down and not jump the fence.

B_BQ wrote:If a dog is not wanted in a household then it shouldn't be in that particular household.
I would like to see someone take responsibility for this poor animal in Marc's household.

I agree, want my wifes phone-number? You can tell her what she did is wrong on more than one level. Maybe this will serve as a lesson for all women here plotting things and going behind their significant others back.

Nothing in this topic, absolutely nothing, concerns me here. This is all the result of a woman doing things behind someone back.

So feel free not to use my name in this, since I had zero to do with any of it.

styric wrote:or Dumbo's attitude on this

Um, excuse me, but, Dumbo didn't even know till it got here.

What would be your attitude if your husband bought you a nice pregnant snake w/o your knowledge and turned your sun room into some sort of snake aviary? This is no different.

People here seem to be including me and my name while I was in the dark about it. I think you should all realize this is all something performed and done by no other than a sneaky woman.

She did it, she can take care of it and maintain it. After-all, I'm sure she thought this all through... Except for the heat thing, except for the fence jumping, except for all the stained furniture, except for the stained carpets.

Easy to point a finger, but that finger needs to be pointed at one person and what that one person did wrong.

Do you women do things like this behind your husbands backs? Has me curious. Don't be shy, tell me.
The internet is a very, very, serious entity created solely for commercial gains.
Canadian Gardening made me a hardcore separatist
Dumbo

Postby Dumbo » Aug 20, 2012 6:10 am

Ron Evers wrote:I am not a dog person, we had one once, it was just a shit factory. We kept it tethered but the bitch would sometimes get away thinking it was a blood thirsty Indian & come home chewing on feminine hygiene products. It was raped on our porch unable to get away & had a bunch more shit machines.

Yeah I know some people who are not dog people, and when they try to be, there is just no use. You either like them (in your home) or you don't.

Yeah, that's why we have to keep it tied when it's out in the yard.

But to some people here this is cruel for some reason, and they would rather it jump a fence and really make sure it gets pregnant, or hit by a car.
The internet is a very, very, serious entity created solely for commercial gains.
Dumbo

Postby B_BQ » Aug 20, 2012 7:33 am

A misunderstanding about tieing up a dog outside.
In your case Marc you really don't have a lot of choice at this time.
I was talking more in general terms of having a dog that spends its whole life on a rope or chain outside 24/7.
I'm sorry about the whole situation for you.
I would very much like to have another small dog or cat, but that's only a vote of 1 so it's not going to happen.
~BBQ
Zone 5b
South/Central Ontario

Every day may not be good, but there's something good in every day
~ Author Unknown
B_BQ

Postby Dumbo » Aug 20, 2012 8:21 am

heh. This isn't the first time she pulls this. The last time was with a cat. A small gang of 16 year old kids tossed out by their parents living in some hell hole had a cat and couldn't take care of it. They never fed it since they had no money to feed themselves.

Wife finds out.. Voila I'm the owner of a bag of bones. Thing doesn't even have a tail. Never did hear how some kid musta swung it around his head till tail came off. What causes a cat to loose it's tail?

So she brings this home, told her I want nothing to do with it. It ran and hid behind the bed and she starts bawling that if I don't get the cat and pick it up then I don't love her. WTF! Seriously... WTF!

So like an idiot I pick up this hissing bag of bones. I still have the scar from that. And still have that cat, which is fat and obese now.

B_BQ wrote:I would very much like to have another small dog or cat, but that's only a vote of 1 so it's not going to happen.

So? Doesn't seem to stop my wife. Why should it stop you? Go get them today and join the club.

I want to see everyone here reply how your husband is the bad guy and whatever other rhetoric they will say about his "poor attitude" as you bring them in. :lol:

Do it. I want to giggle.
Dumbo

Postby Dumbo » Aug 20, 2012 8:25 am

BTW, has anyone here ever bought pet insurance?

Was looking at this thing:
http://www.petsecure.com/

Worth it? Not worth it? What are you annual dog vet bills like?
Dumbo

Postby Ron Evers » Aug 20, 2012 8:39 am

I found this thread to be quite humorous & my post was meant to be in kind. FAIL!

Our dog was always tethered outside, either @ the porch or to the clothesline. When we moved out here in the country she was allowed to run free as there were only farms nearby.
Ron.

The wood is clear between the knots.
Ron Evers

Postby Dumbo » Aug 20, 2012 9:48 am

I have no issue with your poop machine tale. Or is it tail? Or is it a tale of tail?

Even has truth to it.

I'm in suburbia no where for this thing to run free, like it did with the previous owner and all his dogs...
Dumbo

Postby styric » Aug 20, 2012 12:07 pm

My fury is at tying an in season dog outside, unattended, or outside where they can get out.

Take her out, on leash. Stand there until she's done her business. Bring her back in.

If you're sure she's pregnant, find another vet and demand a spay abort. Poor girl needs a break.

If the guy handed her over in heat, you're in big trouble. He set you up and probably knows she's pregnant. Are you sure she didn't pay for the dog? Most of those guys are pretty scummy and will say any sob story for a buck.

Contact rescues in your area and offer to surrender her and pay the surrender fee (covers food and vet, and will get them more likely to find room). If they're full, ask for help in sourcing a foster home for the girl and her impending puppies.

And no, it's not a woman habit to do things behind husband's back, that's your wife sadly and I find it as obnoxious as you do. That cat thing about you not loving her if you don't pick it up, is passive aggressive and manipulative, and I'd probably be in the same state of mind as you about it.

I respect my husband too much for that, and expect the same in return. He has his two dogs, and I have mine. Hubby didn't really want the Doberman, but none of the dogs we already had qualified for service dog training due to temperament, build or age. I still didn't get him without hubby 100% on board. Four dogs is alot of walking, alot of nails, alot of poop and alot of hair.

I don't even really bring plants home without asking him first. He never objects if they're under $1 or in the save-me bin, but I still ask. In return he asks before he brings some new rusted hunk of junk he wants to mess with before it shows up in my kitchen or in the drive way. I know a few marriages where this isn't the norm, but I don't think I could do it. It's just not fair to anybody involved =(

You're getting it from all sides here, and if this is her usual MO.. I wish you luck and a very good counselor. :shock: I can loan you a few books on dog care that might put her head on straight if it might help?
The most effective mosquito repellent is a shotgun.
styric

Postby davefrombc » Aug 20, 2012 12:26 pm

Ahhhhh Good to see the forum getting a little stir now and then. . I do get some evil pleasure in seeing knickers get knotted when some see only what they want to see when reading a thread.
Ladies ... Are you really that upset about Ron's shitty language? :lol: I'm sure you've said much worse, and heard much worse on network tv and everyday conversation ..It may not be appropriate all the time , but I think it was very fitting here .. Did I just tighten the knicker knots a little more ? :mrgreen:
Hopefully the dog isn't prego and doesn't have any other medical problems . I'm sure Marc will deal with them if they arise. In the meantime, I'll keep watching this thread in anticipation of another giggle and hope there's no really sad notes.

A side note .. You sure wouldn't want to hear the language I used many times when my pup chewed up the deck, house , clothes, brand new 7 x 50 binoculars and other items and cases.. He survived his teething days; and I have a few more grey hairs. The blue haze has been disappearing from the air. He's good meeting other animals and sharing food with the cats, but still has a ways to go with meeting strangers. He still jumps and challenges them some if they go to pet him, but much less so now. He's never nipped, but sure made them jump with a bark and false lunge.. A couple of sit ups to say please, or shake a paw for a piece of milkbone, and they're friends allowed to pet..
Stopping him from wanting to chase cars , bicycles or ATVs is a work in progress.
BC Fraser Valley zone 7/8
davefrombc

Postby Eeyore » Aug 20, 2012 1:10 pm

I find a lot of things about this tale despicable.
1) giving up a dog in heat and probably pregnant? - Despicable
2) Dumbo's wifes actions without regard to his input? - Despicable, actually this is the saddest part.

At this points it sounds like a battle of wills. If I were in Dumbo's postion I'd be pi$$ed too. As a plan of action I would eiter return the dog or as styric recommends surrender it to the SPCA. Suck it up and pay the fee. Surrendering it sounds like a better option here than returning it to the a$$ that brought it to you. THEN negotiate terms with wifey about what is acceptable in a dog. There are lots of rescues out there that will be already spayed or neutered. Insist on a non-shedding breed and specify what size you are willing to accomodate. Make it absolutely clear that you will not be responsible for any poop duty or walkies if you do not want to be. HAVE THE KIDS & WIFE SIGN A CONTRACT THAT THE DOG IS THEIR RESPONSIBILITY. Of course you have to realize that should the dog become neglected and you have a heart you are going to end up feeding it and making sure it's physical needs are met. Be aware however that a lot of rescues come with their own sets of problems. Find a well loved dog that can no longer stay in it's master's home and adopt it.

Personally, if you don't want it I would absolutely refuse to get one. I've already told hubby that Sammy is our last dog..... at least until we reach our dotage and can't travel anymore then I may re-think it but not at this stage in my life.

Keeping the dog in it's present condition is cruel, both for you, the family and the dog. The dog needs care that can be provided by someone with experience right now. It's the best solution for everyone and everydog involved.
Lyn
AB, Zone 3A
----------------------------------
“Those who say it can't be done are usually interrupted by others doing it.” ` James Arthur Baldwin"
Eeyore

PreviousNext

Return to Over the Garden Fence