Over the Garden Fence - Gardening Forums

Between a rock & a hard place....

Pull up a chair and grab a cup of Java for a cozy chat about what's on your mind and what's happening in your neck of the woods. This is a strictly for fun non-gardening topics.

Re: Between a rock & a hard place....

Postby Dumbo » Aug 29, 2012 6:33 pm

The internet is a very, very, serious entity created solely for commercial gains.
Canadian Gardening made me a hardcore separatist
Dumbo

Postby LeeInEdmonton » Aug 29, 2012 8:58 pm

The aids that I have been using on 30 day trial are digital. They have four channels: (1 for regular listening (2 for dampening background sounds such as in a restaurant (3 for watching TV & (4 which is automatic for use with the telephone. You can select channels 1 - 3 manually. Volume control is also manual. I'm told hearing aids have gone through a lot of improvements over the past years & if your aids are more than 4 years old they will be obsolete compared to the new ones.

Lee
LeeInEdmonton

Postby mebbie » Aug 29, 2012 10:36 pm

CC is now called described video. Don't ask me why. It is still CC on the menu list. Sometimes, depending on your TV, it is a task to find it,and then to set it up. If you have your own TV, it can be left on all the time. Mine is, and the family one isn't, but I can change it quickly enough there now.
It's worth using and learning a bit more about the systems.
It's also great for those middle of the night wake periods when you don't want to rouse the house.
mebbie

Postby davefrombc » Aug 30, 2012 12:58 am

CC and described video are two different things.. Described video is an actual description of what is presented in the video , while CC is just the dialog in print ..
All videos my Chinese friend sends me have both Chinese and English closed captions. That is the way most movies produced in Hong Kong are produced for the mainland Chinese tv
BC Fraser Valley zone 7/8
davefrombc

Postby LeeInEdmonton » Aug 31, 2012 12:21 pm

This is an update on my hearing aids status. I went in for my appointment relying on my natural hearing such as it is, fully disappointed that I had decided to turn them in due to poor results after 30 days. These people are very accomodating & the technician undertook to do more "tuning" with results that amazed me in performance improvement. Because of the unstable condition of my natural hearing they felt a longer trial period was warranted & extended same for another 2 weeks.
While some people may think that the persons with defective hearing become too dependent on aids, I can relate to that in that such persons simply want to be able to hear, & if aids provide that ability then I fall into that category.
The last few days I have not been able to use the aids because of the amplified distortion made them worse that my natural hearing & Myrt had to write notes to communicate with me. We can now talk to one another normally.
Will have to see what transpires over the next 2 weeks. It may be that if I keep the aids with my natural hearing fluctuating so much that I will as a matter of course have to have periodic fine tuning & that will be okay if that is what it takes to be able to hear.

Lee
LeeInEdmonton

Postby mebbie » Aug 31, 2012 3:18 pm

Lee, I'm so sorry to read about your ongoing problems. Sometimes you do have to go back several times for the fine tuning. Is that done on the computer by your technician?
Don't give up the effort as good aids are wonderful
However, I'm just back from theatre after seeing "Wicked". I couldn't understand a word of the dialogue or score. I knew some of the plot from a newspaper article, but my family had to fill me in after, about the story line. The orchestra and singing was particularly loud. Even my family agreed. Costuming and props were wonderful, so it wasn't entirely a lost cause.
mebbie

Postby LeeInEdmonton » Aug 31, 2012 4:32 pm

Yes...with the aids in the ears & connected to a computer the technician tunes the aid first in one ear & you respond as to clarity, then does the other ear the same way. Then disconnects the aids from the computer & the techie & I carried on with a conversation allowing me to adjust the volume controls.
It has occured to me that 2 weeks ago my session with the techie was on a day when my natural hearing was much better than it was today & perhaps when a few days later when my natural hearing started to"tail off" the aids settings were unable to deal with the change. I think the techie has a much better grasp on how my hearing fluctuates often from day to day & has modified the approach to what the aid settings should be in order to cope. Anyhow so far today the aids have been performing so much better.
One thing I like about both ears equipped sound direction or balance has been improved & without the second ear aid I had no idea where sound was coming from. Lastly, is the automatic telephone channel. When I answer a phone I hear a "ping" from the aid & immediately hear clearly what the person on the other end of the line is saying....a very big plus for me.We will see how the next 2 weeks go.

Lee
LeeInEdmonton

Postby agedgardener2 » Aug 31, 2012 4:45 pm

Lee is your hearing effected by changes in the weather? I have only and aide in one ear as I have some hearing in my left ear but I'm noticing that I'm having problems on the phone lately.I love to watch the bird but have no idea where the sound is coming from I think I may consider a different hearing aide.I had planed to redecorate my bathroom but you make a change very attractive.Joy
agedgardener2

Postby LeeInEdmonton » Aug 31, 2012 5:19 pm

My aid techie described sound direction as balance. My right ear is almost "dead" due to Meneir's disease(spelling ?) contracted approx. 30 yrs ago which commonly results in the right ear going almost dead. My left ear was described at the time as being equal to that of a healthy 90 yr. old which did little to impress me while in my early 60's.
However, my near dead right ear equipped with an aid provides me with a degree of balance which while driving tells me where to look if I hear a siren (police/fire truck) so if necessary I can get out of the way by pulling into the first space at the curb. I suspect that your ear without an aid does not hear well enough to provide balance. Next time you are having your aid tuned you could discuss the matter with your techie.

Lee
LeeInEdmonton

Postby LeeInEdmonton » Sep 11, 2012 5:44 pm

Here we go with another "blow by blow" update. Yesterday my hearing was one twitch better than stone deaf. Sooooo....I finally resorted to old home remedy...steaming.
Put a pot of water on a stove burner, turned on the vent fan & donned a long billed baseball cap to trap the steam close to my face. Steamed inhaling deeply through the snozz for 3 sessions of 5 min. on steam 5 min. off steam. A little discouraged because no sign of discharge. Went to bed. Woke up about 4 hours later....hearing restored except for mild tinnitus plus some distortion & a need to clear phlem from the back of my throat BUT fairly severely damaged balance as if my personal gyro's off kilter.
Staggered to the bathroom & coughed up lots of gunk. Balance a little less severe.
Sat on the bed for a while with a roll of paper towels & continued to cough up some
gunk. When that seemed done took a baby asprin & went back to sleep. Got up 4 hours later, hearing still improved, balance restored, & still some mild tinnitus. I plan to continue the same treatment before bedtime to see if I can dislodge & get rid of the rest of inner fluid that has not drained & causing the tinnitus. Anyone else that has sinus problems & hasn't tried steaming may want to consider same.

Lee
LeeInEdmonton

Previous

Return to Over the Garden Fence