Over the Garden Fence - Gardening Forums

For those gals with pc problems

Pull up a chair and grab a cup of Java for a cozy chat about what's on your mind and what's happening in your neck of the woods. This is a strictly for fun non-gardening topics.

For those gals with pc problems

Postby davefrombc » Aug 29, 2012 1:52 pm

A friend up north posted this on her Facebook .
No  Grandma.jpg
BC Fraser Valley zone 7/8
davefrombc

Re: For those gals with pc problems

Postby Eeyore » Aug 29, 2012 5:01 pm

LMAO!!!! That is hilarious!
Lyn
AB, Zone 3A
----------------------------------
“Those who say it can't be done are usually interrupted by others doing it.” ` James Arthur Baldwin"
Eeyore

Postby Heidi S » Aug 29, 2012 6:11 pm

Yeah, but it's not a gender thing - it's a generational thing! My dear old Dad is relatively computer literate, for his age of 81, but dear lord, teaching him to do internet banking as he is now a shut in, not sinking in! He wants to to bus to the credit union to get his balance information - ah Dad, just open the laptop sitting beside you, click on the icon we make for your bank account and log in with the saved info - all there, all the time.

Oh, yeah he forgot... again... Now he met his girlfriend through internet dating 17 years ago, reads the digital newspaper and plays endless games of Snood, so he has lots of experience on computer, but some aspects of it are still eluding him.

These kids are computer natives, having been born into a computer based society - like my 19 year old son was, so it is just normal stuff for them. Those of us in our 50's and younger have used forms of computers for most of our working lives, but those in their 60's and older have had less, or little exposure depending on their lives and opportunities. Sociologists refer to us older folks as the computer immigrants, because we had to learn to use them as adults - always harder to learn new languages and skills then - not impossible, but definitely harder.
Heidi S,
Prince George, BC
Zone 3!

Master Gardener in Training....
Heidi S

Postby Heidi S » Aug 29, 2012 6:15 pm

Yeah, but it's not a gender thing - it's a generational thing! My dear old Dad is relatively computer literate, for his age of 81, but dear lord, teaching him to do internet banking as he is now a shut in, not sinking in! He wants to to bus to the credit union to get his balance information - ah Dad, just open the laptop sitting beside you, click on the icon we make for your bank account and log in with the saved info - all there, all the time.

Oh, yeah he forgot... again... Now he met his girlfriend through internet dating 17 years ago, reads the digital newspaper and plays endless games of Snood, so he has lots of experience on computer, but some aspects of it are still eluding him.

These kids are computer natives, having been born into a computer based society - like my 19 year old son was, so it is just normal stuff for them. Those of us in our 50's and younger have used forms of computers for most of our working lives, but those in their 60's and older have had less, or little exposure depending on their lives and opportunities. Sociologists refer to us older folks as the computer immigrants, because we had to learn to use them as adults - always harder to learn new languages and skills then - not impossible, but definitely harder.
Heidi S,
Prince George, BC
Zone 3!

Heidi S

Postby Heidi S » Aug 29, 2012 6:16 pm

Sorry - double post - everything froze mid submit and it went twice!
Heidi S,
Prince George, BC
Zone 3!

Heidi S

Postby davefrombc » Aug 29, 2012 6:22 pm

We'll forgive you Heidi. We know about the age and computers thing :mrgreen:
davefrombc

Postby Dumbo » Aug 29, 2012 6:30 pm

Heidi S wrote:Sorry - double post - everything froze mid submit and it went twice!

davefrombc wrote:We'll forgive you Heidi. We know about the age and computers thing :mrgreen:

Epic.
The internet is a very, very, serious entity created solely for commercial gains.
Canadian Gardening made me a hardcore separatist
Dumbo

Postby Heidi S » Aug 29, 2012 7:04 pm

I did say I was in that 50's age range - but how am I responsible for my internet server from blinking when I hit submit...

I ain't no expert at anything, but knowledgeable in many and experienced in some....
Heidi S,
Prince George, BC
Zone 3!

Heidi S

Postby davefrombc » Aug 29, 2012 7:25 pm

Just a little teasing Heidi.. any of us that have been on here any amount of time have double posted at least once :oops: :lol:
The forum has been doing some odd things that can cause double postings, not your server. I can't count the number of times I've gone to post and my posting went to never never land, and a couple of double posts over the time I've been a member here.
I'll forgive you again youngster ...Just so's you know .. There's far more about computers and the internet that I don't know than there is that I do .... I'll be 69 in two weeks , and I'm not the senior member here.
davefrombc

Postby Dumbo » Aug 29, 2012 7:46 pm

What Dave said. I've seen the forum give database errors (SQL errors) leading to double posts.

Who knows, maybe they have an SQL injection hack on these forums. Seen some odd things.

EDIT:
davefrombc wrote:I'll be ♋ in two weeks , and I'm not the senior member here.

I only speak to people 68 and younger. So I'll have to ignore you soon. Sorry.
The internet is a very, very, serious entity created solely for commercial gains.
Canadian Gardening made me a hardcore separatist
Dumbo

Next

Return to Over the Garden Fence