Over the Garden Fence - Gardening Forums

My Daughter is off on her first Adventure!

Pull up a chair and grab a cup of Java for a cozy chat about what's on your mind and what's happening in your neck of the woods. This is a strictly for fun non-gardening topics.

My Daughter is off on her first Adventure!

Postby kelly_m » Aug 31, 2012 2:47 pm

Well not her first...but her first Cool Teenaged Summer Adventure!!!!

She and 4 friends have headed off to New York....Syracuse....to the New York State Fair.

Paid for with her own $$$ (Whoot!)

Including Spending money (Whoot Whoot!)

They are going to see Jason Aldean and Luke Bryan (Country Artists) in concert at the fair tonight. Hit the Fair, go to the concert tonight. Over night then some shopping tomorrow.

Then Home.

Thank dog I am not the Mom who volunteered to take them......... :roll: :lol:
Kelly
Zone 5a/b

OLD GARDENERS NEVER DIE. THEY JUST SPADE AWAY
kelly_m

Re: My Daughter is off on her first Adventure!

Postby DonnaZn2SK » Aug 31, 2012 2:51 pm

What an exciting time, Kelly! Are you going to be a worried mama? Hope she has a great trip...
DonnaZn2SK

Postby kelly_m » Aug 31, 2012 3:00 pm

Nope... Not a worried Mama! I am soo excited for her! It is a great opportunity for her...to go with her girlies and not her family!

I remember small trips here and there...so I got them a couple of activity books for the trip.....they were actually excited and thanked me for them! I remember doing silly things like that at their age!

What a great age to be!
Kelly
Zone 5a/b

kelly_m

Postby Heidi S » Aug 31, 2012 6:35 pm

I get you there Kelly - my son is jazzed right up about starting at University on Tuesday. He was up there yesterday to pay his tuition and buy his first books and check out the facilities. There is a day long orientation for 1st years with a BBQ and door prizes on Tuesday and he is vibrating with excitement.

After all the trials and tribulations of his high school years - what a relief! Of course I am observing this excitement from Vancouver by Skype, as I am still down here with my Dad....
Heidi S,
Prince George, BC
Zone 3!

Master Gardener in Training....
Heidi S

Postby DonnaZn2SK » Aug 31, 2012 8:14 pm

Heidi S wrote:I get you there Kelly - my son is jazzed right up about starting at University on Tuesday. He was up there yesterday to pay his tuition and buy his first books and check out the facilities. There is a day long orientation for 1st years with a BBQ and door prizes on Tuesday and he is vibrating with excitement.

After all the trials and tribulations of his high school years - what a relief! Of course I am observing this excitement from Vancouver by Skype, as I am still down here with my Dad....

We went down to the university with the daughter to get her books, over $500 later... :shock:

Haven't paid the tuition yet, I think we're waiting on the amount of scholarship she earned. The university sure has changed in the almost twenty years since I was there.

Don't know how those children will manage to reset their body clocks to go to bed before midnight! I'm sure they'll be dragging their butts on Tuesday!
DonnaZn2SK

Postby hotsummerone » Aug 31, 2012 9:40 pm

What a brave girl she is! May she enjoy her trip.
hotsummerone

Postby Dumbo » Aug 31, 2012 11:29 pm

Ah the excitement of her first paid-for trip.

Wait till she gets her own car and takes off to NY for long weekends....
The internet is a very, very, serious entity created solely for commercial gains.
Canadian Gardening made me a hardcore separatist
Dumbo

Postby Eeyore » Sep 01, 2012 12:20 am

That's great! I hope she has a good time.
Lyn
AB, Zone 3A
----------------------------------
“Those who say it can't be done are usually interrupted by others doing it.” ` James Arthur Baldwin"
Eeyore

Postby kelly_m » Sep 01, 2012 4:10 pm

Gotta love Facebook!

BEST NIGHT OF HER LIFE!!!!!!!

according to her status! LOL

marc....I can't wait till she gets her first paid for car and takes herslef to the arena....to hockey games...to shopping...to whatever else she makes me take her to.
Kelly
Zone 5a/b

kelly_m

Postby mike in Ottawa » Sep 01, 2012 11:27 pm

Kelly i'm sure she will be fine, but i can understand that a mother will be extra worried about her daughter.
We have just gone through the same thing but with our 19 year old son. He has finished his first year of University (Carleton and did really well and has changed his program fro a 3 year to a 4 year program he works at Subway and has really never been a problem.

This summer he informed us he was going on a weeks trip to Calgary with 3 other guys for the stampede, about a week after this was arranged he informed us he was going with 3 other guys on a 5 week tour of the US.
He is now back from both trips and i'm pleased to say everything went well and we did'nt pay a cent.
His trip to Calgary was fairly easy as all he had to do was get their as they were staying with a cousin of one of the guys he went with.
But on the trip to the States they were on their own, one of the parents of the guys did all the flight and hotel arrangements, but the guys were on their own. They flew from Syracuse to LA, and from there went to SanDiego/Phoenix/Dallas?NewOrleans/Tampa/Orlando/NY and then back to Syracuse. They made all their flights/train and bus connections they played at least 5 rounds of golf, visited lots of bars beaches and had a great time.
In the 6 weeks they were gone we received a total of 4 e-mails, where we worried no but we were glad to hear from them, i think this was a great educational trip for them that they might not realise right now but it will be something they will remember for a long time.
Unfortunately as parents at some time we have to cut the cord and let them go.
It is a learning experience for everyone.
mike in Ottawa

Next

Return to Over the Garden Fence