Over the Garden Fence - Gardening Forums

Apple Picking Time

Pull up a chair and grab a cup of Java for a cozy chat about what's on your mind and what's happening in your neck of the woods. This is a strictly for fun non-gardening topics.

Re: Apple Picking Time

Postby Dumbo » Sep 04, 2012 12:45 pm

kelly_m wrote:If you can get tarts locally why bother with us??????? 8) :twisted: :lol:

I'm not into the whole "buy local" thing. As you get older you come to realize the further the better.

countrychic, I want homemade pies.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VvcohzJvviQ
The internet is a very, very, serious entity created solely for commercial gains.
Canadian Gardening made me a hardcore separatist
Dumbo

Postby countrychic » Sep 04, 2012 2:07 pm

Can't believe I just sat watching that link. All of it. From beginning to end. Was waiting for the catch. But nah. It really is about peaches. Only peaches. Millions of them. In the country.
countrychic

Postby Dumbo » Sep 04, 2012 2:43 pm

haha suckah.

Take a little nap where the roots all twist
Squished a rotten peach in my fist
And dreamed about you, woman,
I poked my finger down inside
Make a little room for it to hide
Nature's candy in my hand or can or a pie

Millions of peaches, peaches for me
Millions of peaches, peaches for free

Now I got that song stuck i my head....

countrychic wrote:It really is about peaches

Of course! Did you expect it to be about raisins?

I have apple pie recipes, now I need a peach recipe before Quebec starts the separation process from Canada today after the vote. HURRY! And from now on, you have to write in french. I will allow english, but it has to be 2 font sizes smaller than french text. Thanks.

Squished a rotten peach in my fist...

EDIT:
countrychic wrote: Only peaches..... In the country.

Country Chick is starting to catch on...
The internet is a very, very, serious entity created solely for commercial gains.
Dumbo

Postby davefrombc » Sep 04, 2012 3:22 pm

If the PQ win today and the separatistes want to force another sovereignty referendum, all I can think of is to quote a famous Trudeau dietary suggestion to them .
BC Fraser Valley zone 7/8
davefrombc

Postby Dumbo » Sep 04, 2012 3:42 pm

It's all a game.
Besides, Quebec is the most anti-harper anti-conservative prov there is, so it makes sense in a way how people are voting. They did the same for the Fed election. It's a message, not a sign of support for that kook-lady.

When you come down to it, there isn't much of a choice. You have the corrupt liberals which people see as a prevention of separation *only* and nothing else. The unknown CAQ, and the PQ who will makes waves.

There is no peoples party w/o the rhetoric, and no party w/o the mob pulling the strings here. Maybe this is why so many are changing to the unknown CAQ. Which is likely the case.

Even I prefer the PQ and the waves they will make over the other 2. There is no real choice. But with the PQ comes the bullshit language police and their 1970's mentality. It's only fossils in the PQ living in the past and not in the present.

*shrug* it's all a game.
Dumbo

Postby Ron Evers » Sep 04, 2012 4:58 pm

It matters little Marc which party wins, they will still want Canadians to keep dumping money into Quebec. Sorta like pouring booze down a rat hole.

BTW, my wife is from Quebec, went to high school in Montreal, Westmount.
Ron.

The wood is clear between the knots.
Ron Evers

Postby Dumbo » Sep 04, 2012 7:44 pm

ah, I lived in Westmount for a little while when I was younger. Right near where the party is. Nice English girls there... ;)

When you look at the numbers, Ron, Quebec isn't the one taking all the money. On a per capita basis there are others soaking you more than what Quebec is. But the media likes to play the hype. It makes headlines, but in all honesty you may want to look at the actual numbers and not a media headline. I believe they can be found on wiki. One needs to only do the math. Other prov's would suffer and your burden will go up. Same will happen if the PQ get their way and handle U.I. themselves, which will be a condition before any separation rhetoric starts.

U.I. alone makes an interesting topic. Quebec and Ontario are roughly the same. Ontario has a slightly higher unemployment rate, but a slightly larger pop, so check & balances. Quebec and Ontario carry a lot of the other prov's... now imagine one prov that is no longer paying into U.I.. Again, if I'm not mistaken, Quebec gives more than it receives... who is going to carry the burden of the other prov's? Like the transfer payments you are going to have to pick up the slack for the ones who are really sucking on the welfare teet, on a per capita basis.

Maybe other prov's will start to tax their people like they do in Quebec? They will have to. You hear all sorts of rhetoric about how transfer payments pay for daycare and so on. It's all baloney. QC is the highest taxed population there is. Who's paying what? One of my paychecks comes from Ontario, at the end of the year when I have to do this income tax transfer mumbo-jumbo between prov's I am in the red for a couple of grand compared to an Ontario co-worker living in Ontario. Do you honestly and actually believe the media hype & Wild Rose hype about how you are paying for my 7$ daycare? Seriously? If so, then I think you have a tax and a transfer payment education ahead of you and you need to review the actual numbers and not a media headline.

EDIT:
Or... all my money is going in some Liberal politician mafioso's pocket and to make end's meet we rely on payments from the other prov's... But seriously.. look at the actual numbers. Not a headline.
Dumbo

Postby Ron Evers » Sep 04, 2012 9:16 pm

Well Marc, you may be correct, none of Jeanne's eight siblings still reside in Quebec, despite the fact that electricity is so damn cheap.

The media may well play into the general opinion of Canadians that Quebec is the spoiled child of confederation.
Ron.

The wood is clear between the knots.
Ron Evers

Postby Dumbo » Sep 04, 2012 10:39 pm

We lose whatever savings there is in electricity & beer to income tax. *shrug* :P
Dumbo

Previous

Return to Over the Garden Fence