Over the Garden Fence - Gardening Forums

Deception

Pull up a chair and grab a cup of Java for a cozy chat about what's on your mind and what's happening in your neck of the woods. This is a strictly for fun non-gardening topics.

Deception

Postby Ron Evers » Sep 04, 2012 10:28 am

This should be healthy eh.

P9040009-Edit.jpg

You are led to believe the margarine is based on olive oil but when you get home & read the fine print you discover it is 84% canola oil made from rape seed.

Seems there is no honesty in advertising.
Ron.

The wood is clear between the knots.
Ron Evers

Re: Deception

Postby B_BQ » Sep 04, 2012 10:49 am

And you're surprised?
They probably can get away with it because presumably there's a little bit of olive oil in the mixture to flavour it, and let's face it who would buy a tub of margarine labelled "Finest Canola Oil Non-Hydrogenated Margarine"!!
I understand that Canola Oil is a 'good' fat too, as is Olive Oil, so it's going to be just as healthy, but spread sparingly! ;)
~BBQ
Zone 5b
South/Central Ontario

Every day may not be good, but there's something good in every day
~ Author Unknown
B_BQ

Postby Eeyore » Sep 04, 2012 11:05 am

Hmmm, I thought it should say made with Olive Oil but the way it is presented may be a violation of marketing ethics....

My dietician advises whipping 1 pound butter (yes, butter) with about a cup olive oil and making what she calls "better butter". It will stay soft in the fridge. I use grapeseed oil because it doesn't have the strong flavour olive oil does.
Lyn
AB, Zone 3A
----------------------------------
“Those who say it can't be done are usually interrupted by others doing it.” ` James Arthur Baldwin"
Eeyore

Postby davefrombc » Sep 04, 2012 11:42 am

A good reason to read the list of ingredients..Margarine made with non-hydrogenated canola oil uses a small amount of tropical oils ( usually palm oil) to harden it. It is normally a soft margarine. The olive oil in that brand is there more for marketing than flavour..
Don't worry Ron.. Margarine made with canola oil is about as healthy as margarine gets. It's still a fat , and has some saturated fats in it from the tropical oils used to harden it though, so use it in moderation.
You can make your own "Olive oil margarine" by whipping a bit of olive oil into some softened canola oil margarine. It will be even softer in the fridge and very soft if it comes to room temperature. You'd have to experiment to see how much you could mix in before it becomes too soft .
I take regular canola oil margarine and mix in about 1/3 pureed garlic that I microwave cook in a mixture of olive and canola oil. The margarine becomes quite soft and has a mild roasted garlic flavour. I save the oil I cooked the garlic in for other cooking and for making salad dressings.

Rape that was modified to reduce the erucic acid in it to make it edible was renamed Canola; mainly for marketing .. Canola (Canadian Oil Low Acid) oil sounds much better than Rape oil to consumers :lol:
BC Fraser Valley zone 7/8
davefrombc

Postby Dumbo » Sep 04, 2012 12:30 pm

It wouldn't surprise me if the Canadian gov allowed margarine containing 0.000001% Olive oil to be allowed to be called Olive Oil margarine. Canadian food labeling is the worse and most deceptive in existence.

The whole concept of Canadian food labeling is based on deception.

If this was the states there would be a 500-million dollar class action.

However, why not file a complaint with Ad Standards Canada and see what they say? Nothing lost except for maybe 20-minutes of time writing up the complaint. http://www.adstandards.com/en/index.aspx
The internet is a very, very, serious entity created solely for commercial gains.
Canadian Gardening made me a hardcore separatist
Dumbo

Postby LeeInEdmonton » Sep 04, 2012 4:42 pm

All this crap about food & it's shady list of contents makes me glad that Iam of an age
that it probably wont make one iota of a difference to my life exectancy no matter what I eat within reason. If I want to scan print in great detail I'll go to the library where the reading can be enjoyable.

Lee
LeeInEdmonton

Postby Dumbo » Sep 04, 2012 6:49 pm

When I was at Walmart earlier to get some dog treats, I went to pick up some Becel.

I saw the exact margarine Ron pasted, right next to the "Olive Oil" Becel. It's the same colour container and I almost mistook it for Becel. When I compared them the Becel labels states "With Olive oil". The one Ron pasted doesn't.

So Yeah, I would make the complaint Ron. Very deceptive practice.
The internet is a very, very, serious entity created solely for commercial gains.
Canadian Gardening made me a hardcore separatist
Dumbo

Postby bluewillow » Sep 04, 2012 7:35 pm

Dumbo wrote:When I was at Walmart earlier to get some dog treats, I went to pick up some Becel.

Dumbo, I had to read twice and don't think my eyes deceived me. You've been broken in and that is indeed a good sign.
If dandelions were hard to grow, they would be most welcome on any lawn. ~Andrew Mason
bluewillow

Postby bluewillow » Sep 04, 2012 7:38 pm

Dumbo wrote:When I was at Walmart earlier to get some dog treats, I went to pick up some Becel.

Dumbo, I had to read twice and don't think my eyes deceived me. You've been broken in and that is indeed a good sign.

Yes Ron, I hope you do lodge a complaint as others have suggested.
If dandelions were hard to grow, they would be most welcome on any lawn. ~Andrew Mason
bluewillow

Postby Katherine » Sep 04, 2012 7:42 pm

Blue, your post was the best thing Ive read all day, and thats sayin sumpin.
:lol: :lol:
kat
Katherine

Next

Return to Over the Garden Fence