Over the Garden Fence - Gardening Forums

Where to buy a Water Wiggler & Bird Question

Pull up a chair and grab a cup of Java for a cozy chat about what's on your mind and what's happening in your neck of the woods. This is a strictly for fun non-gardening topics.

Where to buy a Water Wiggler & Bird Question

Postby HeelsDown » Sep 07, 2012 1:29 pm

Hi everyone,

This is how 'country' I've gone now...not only do I garden, I bird. LOL! Since I moved into my new place in March 2011, I've added 7 birdfeeders, and most recently a bird bath.

I would like to procure a water wiggler to move the water in the birdbath. To keep it from going stagnant and to attract more birds to it. I've had no luck with my area stores so thought someone on here might know? I'm close to KW so anything in that area would be grand.

http://www.forthebirdsnatureshop.ca/bir ... r-wiggler/

Also, anyone recommend a good bird forum? I googled a few, but the few I found seemed mismanaged and just messy. Plus, the layout of their sites made me anxious lol! I like nice, neat and organized. I can recognize most birds now like the goldfinches, cardinals, junco's, chickadee's, blue jays, and doves, but there are a few I'm not familar with so it would be nice to find out - or ask Santa for a bird book for xmas!

Thanks!!
Jenn
HeelsDown

Re: Where to buy a Water Wiggler & Bird Question

Postby B_BQ » Sep 07, 2012 4:35 pm

I've never seen or heard of a water wiggler!

A water heater yes. Some like to keep open water in their bird baths for the birds in winter.

I keep a bird bath going - and as I have to pass it each and every day to water annuals in planters I hose out the bird bath and fill it with fresh water every day. Takes just a few seconds with a good squirt from the hose.

I would definitely put a bird book on your Christmas/Birthday/Anniversary/Anytime list!! There are several really good ones. These are a few, but by no means all:

Peterson: 'A Field Guide to the Birds'
National Audubon Society Field Guide to North American Birds
Sibleys Field Guide to Birds - We have the one for Eastern North America
We also have a book on 'Warblers' - so many of the beauties.

And, we also have books to take with us when we go to another country, i.e.
Cuban Birds, Birds of the Carolinas, Birds of Mexico and Central America, and even a book on Birds of Ontario, (because that's where we live).

If Carol Edwards, (aka BB), pops in she can give you a good heads up too. She's very much a birder and regularly gets her bird photographs published in Birds and Blooms.

~BBQ
Zone 5b
South/Central Ontario

Every day may not be good, but there's something good in every day
~ Author Unknown
B_BQ

Postby Big Smile » Sep 07, 2012 6:47 pm

Hi Jenn,
I have never heard of a Water Wiggler but that doesn't mean they don't excist.
There is a really nice nature store in St Jacobs but I don't remember the name. If you are coming from Waterloo its on the left side of main street before you get downtown . I bought a neat thing with a waterfall at that store. They have lots of nice things,,,worth checking out.
Clara
Big Smile

Postby davefrombc » Sep 07, 2012 8:07 pm

There are two ways you can move the water that I can think of.. you can get one of the small fountain"spitters" (frog , gnome or whatever) or just the small pump that powers one, or you could use a small air pump and air stone like those used in aquariums. The air pump and air stones can be bought in pet supply stores that carry aquarium accessories. Most garden centres will likely have the water spitter and / or pumps and may also have the air pumps and air stones.
BC Fraser Valley zone 7/8
davefrombc

Postby Dumbo » Sep 07, 2012 9:30 pm

The issue there is maybe she doesn't have a power cord around for that... who knows.

I would go battery or solar.

And yeah most garden stores should have something kicking around that will do the job.
The internet is a very, very, serious entity created solely for commercial gains.
Canadian Gardening made me a hardcore separatist
Dumbo

Postby HeelsDown » Sep 10, 2012 10:05 am

And, the winner is....Clara! Good call on that store. We were in town on Saturday at the market, and I thought to check the thread to see if anyone had replied with some ideas so we weren't far from St. Jacob's anyhow. Found the store, which the name already escapes me - Artistic somethingorother maybe - and wandered in. Within 5 minutes, my hubby spotted the only water wiggler in the store! It ended up being the solar one so was a bit more than the other one, but I don't like ordering stuff online (how archaic of me eh?) and I could have it right away. And, really, at this point, what's another $40 lol

I put it in my bath on Sat afternoon and moved the bath to the very outer edge of my deck. Not sure which of these two ideas made the difference, but it's been a full house ever since! Sunday was a VERY busy day at the feeders with actual line ups at all of them lol! It's quite entertaining (this is where the 19 yr old me laughs at me)! I'm thoroughly addicted. Now I think I need a different h-b feeder...maybe a jay and woodpecker feeders....start thinking about winter feeders and food...houses....I can literally hear my bf roll his eyes in surrender hahahaha!

Thanks so much BBQ - those books are officially on my list for Xmas! As well as some binoculars so I can see and identify them a bit easier rather than spooking them - the doves and the chickadee's are the only one's who don't really give me pause anymore haha!

Thanks again all!
Have a good day :)
Jenn
HeelsDown

Postby kelly_m » Sep 10, 2012 8:58 pm

Oh! I know the store!! Forgot about it...the one by the mill.....
Kelly
Zone 5a/b

OLD GARDENERS NEVER DIE. THEY JUST SPADE AWAY
kelly_m

Postby Dumbo » Sep 10, 2012 9:05 pm

HeelsDown wrote:but I don't like ordering stuff online (how archaic of me eh?)

I'm the same.

They also sell small heating elements, or heating blocks, for bird baths for winter time.
The internet is a very, very, serious entity created solely for commercial gains.
Canadian Gardening made me a hardcore separatist
Dumbo

Postby Big Smile » Sep 11, 2012 7:50 am

[quote="HeelsDown"]And, the winner is....Clara! Good call on that store. We were in town on Saturday at the market, and I thought to check the thread to see if anyone had replied with some ideas so we weren't far from St. Jacob's anyhow. Found the store, which the name already escapes me -

Congrats Jenn for for finding a Water Wigler. Glad I could help!
Clara
Big Smile

Next

Return to Over the Garden Fence