Over the Garden Fence - Gardening Forums

When you encounter a product .....

Pull up a chair and grab a cup of Java for a cozy chat about what's on your mind and what's happening in your neck of the woods. This is a strictly for fun non-gardening topics.

Re: When you encounter a product .....

Postby Heidi S » Sep 10, 2012 10:30 am

Wow Lee, I get your comment about old unsold products being dumped in your market - that happens in the Winners store in PG all the time. We seem to get the absolute dregs from all the southern stores and the comparison when we go into stores at the coast is remarkable - actually that happens at the Bay in PG as well. We get the bottom of the barrel stuff for sure.

You couldn't pay me enough to be a retail store manager in an independent or chain. What a thankless job that is from my point-of-view! When the staff aren't griping about their shifts and personal crises, the customers are. We rarely hear about the things we do right, which is so disheartening and demoralizing. And that is why I feel the need to defend my company - just to get the view from the trenches out there. We all have lots to learn about doing it right, but at times the customers can be shockingly unreasonable too.

Just be glad you have a large enough market to have some choices - small communities rarely do without considerable travel.
Heidi S,
Prince George, BC
Zone 3!

Master Gardener in Training....
Heidi S

Postby LeeInEdmonton » Sep 10, 2012 1:38 pm

That's why they get away with it . PG & Edmonton are too far from the border unlike Vancouver & Toronto hence no opportunity for us to do cross-border shopping...especially with the Cdn. dollar at par or a little better. However, I have gotten pretty used to it but still rubs me the wrong way at times.

Lee
LeeInEdmonton

Postby DonnaZn2SK » Sep 10, 2012 7:42 pm

Heidi,
We get the most craptastic merchandise at our Winners too, so it's not just PG. The clearance racks really have me shaking my head...hootchie mama central.
DonnaZn2SK

Postby Dumbo » Sep 11, 2012 1:05 pm

I've never been in a winners. And I've never been screwed on tools like Lee has.

The last situation I had similar to lee was this past spring. Got an orbital sander for Xmas. The pad that the sanding disks stick to was defective when I opened it up in May (5 months after I got it). Called the company who in turn gave me the number to their repair place in Montreal, and they sent me a whole new part.

Didn't have to show a receipt. I didn't even have one since it was a gift.
Was 5 months after purchase.
Parts came priority post same week & with a letter of apology for the inconvenience.

Very good service.

Don't know why Lee didn't call the company who makes the tool he bought. Still not too late maybe.

Even if I had the receipt I doubt I would have went to the retailer 5 months after the fact just to get a run-around.
The internet is a very, very, serious entity created solely for commercial gains.
Canadian Gardening made me a hardcore separatist
Dumbo

Postby Countryboy » Sep 11, 2012 6:03 pm

I remember seeing "Do not return to retailer" notices coming with tools and appliances recently. They give u ALL the means of contacting the proper people. *Maybe some warehouse/repair set-up.* E-mail, postal address, tool-free number... all that stuff. Seems like the latest trend in after-market service.

Tho I just returned a lawn mower blade that mt DD picked up for me in the Spring. No invoice by now, of course. Home Hardware scanned it and could tell where and when she bought it . . . and if she had put it thru my discount. She hadn't... so they credited me with the full price. :)

PS... I will always slit the hard plastic along the top, and down one side, if necessary, to extract the blade . . . or whatever. If I have to return it, the store staff can easily reseal it and put it back on the shelf.
Adopt the pace of nature, her secret is patience.
.....Ralph Waldo Emmerson....

Frank . . ON5a
Countryboy

Postby Dumbo » Sep 11, 2012 7:05 pm

Countryboy wrote:I remember seeing "Do not return to retailer" notices coming with tools and appliances recently.

Yeah. You are right about that. When I called they asked where I got it, I said no clue and I don't have a receipt. Only had that "Do not return to retailer" and the phone number which came in the box. So I had to give them the barcode on the box (which I believe will show where in their system).
The internet is a very, very, serious entity created solely for commercial gains.
Canadian Gardening made me a hardcore separatist
Dumbo

Postby Heidi S » Sep 12, 2012 8:59 pm

Yep, that was what I was talking about - at the store we usually cannot order the parts to have them arrive immediately. But the customer can. However, you try telling them that, and you are the criminal who stole their money.

Customers ask me regularly why we don't carry all the bits and bobs, and replacement parts for lawnmowers, snow blowers, pressure washers, chainsaws etc. Yeah, we need 3 more warehouses to hold all those things, and if we haven't actually sold that item in 10 years, we probably wouldn't have the belt drive or oil filter for it either. We do carry universal parts, as does Rona, Canadian Tire and Home Hardware, but your particular chainsaw might just be so old no one has the replacement chain anymore!

I will call the company's 800 # for you and let you talk to them directly, if I can find it on line because you can't, but you need to know that it is x brand vs. y brand for sure. I have people telling me they have the wrong one all the time. I can only work with what you tell me, and sometimes that just isn't enough. Ah yes, I have missed my job while doing my tour of duty caring for Dad!
Heidi S,
Prince George, BC
Zone 3!

Master Gardener in Training....
Heidi S

Previous

Return to Over the Garden Fence