Over the Garden Fence - Gardening Forums

Saturday, 15 Sept

Pull up a chair and grab a cup of Java for a cozy chat about what's on your mind and what's happening in your neck of the woods. This is a strictly for fun non-gardening topics.

Re: Saturday, 15 Sept

Postby B_BQ » Sep 16, 2012 10:46 pm

Hi there RubyTuesday49, (that's quite the mouthful!).

Vindaloo is usually served with plain rice, but there's no reason not to serve a lovely Indian bread too, or instead of. We like Chapati, Naan, Puri, Paratha, all of which I used to make, but these days tend to buy the ready-made Naan, (they're available with different flavours), which is not too bad, and doesn't contain a lot of fat, whereas Puri and Paratha do, which is why they taste so good, as does Roti!

No, I'm not Indian, and have no Indian blood. Just a fair-haired, (now grey), green-eyed, English girl, (now Canadian), who thought she'd died and gone to heaven when she discovered 'spices'. Certainly didn't grow up with them, and was afraid of them at one time!

~BBQ
Zone 5b
South/Central Ontario

Every day may not be good, but there's something good in every day
~ Author Unknown
B_BQ

Postby RubyTuesday49 » Sep 16, 2012 11:05 pm

Thanks BBQ for the info on Indian breads. I never really thought about it - have eaten them without checking out the "fat content" (unusual for me) I have always bought the breads - and of course have always used Basmati Rice. Do you also make Butter Chicken? Another favourite of mine!

By the way - Ruby is fine!
Gardening requires a lot of water - most of it in the form of perspiration.
RubyTuesday49

Postby Ron Evers » Sep 17, 2012 3:46 pm

Brenda, I treat all winter squash alike; wash them let dry outside in shelter a few days & then put them in a cardboard box & place it in the basement which stays around 15C in winter. They are good until early spring usually.
Ron.

The wood is clear between the knots.
Ron Evers

Postby B_BQ » Sep 17, 2012 7:22 pm

Thanks Ron. Maybe I'll pick up a few more and do what you do, just to compare. I can afford another $4 or $5! :roll:
~BBQ
Zone 5b
South/Central Ontario

Every day may not be good, but there's something good in every day
~ Author Unknown
B_BQ

Previous

Return to Over the Garden Fence