Over the Garden Fence - Gardening Forums

Saying Goodbye is Hard Sometimes!

Pull up a chair and grab a cup of Java for a cozy chat about what's on your mind and what's happening in your neck of the woods. This is a strictly for fun non-gardening topics.

Re: Saying Goodbye is Hard Sometimes!

Postby Ron Evers » Sep 18, 2012 2:32 pm

I bought a new watch @ Walmart last year because it was cheaper than a replacement battery for the one I had. I too have smashed a few over the years, one I really liked that I got @ a flea market for $10. :cry:
Ron.

The wood is clear between the knots.
Ron Evers

Postby B_BQ » Sep 18, 2012 5:54 pm

Seems as though some people use a watch for telling the time!

Others use a watch for not only telling the time but as a fashion accessory, or a piece of jewellery.

Some buy a watch strictly on price.

I like a watch that not only tells the time accurately, has the sort of face that I can see without my glasses on, but is also moisture proof. The Movado fits the bill beautifully. It's been a long time since I had to worry about taking my watch off before a swim or shower!

We have all sorts in this house, some going back 25 years or more. We've got Wittnauer, Gucci, Jean Claude, Timex, Seiko, all still working! DH has an expensive watch, a Rolex, which was given to him as a very special present many many years ago. He works in the garden with it on, he sleeps with it on, he swims with it on, he showers and bathes with it on - the only time he ever takes it off is when he is performing part of his job one day a week.

Some amusing reads!

~BBQ
Zone 5b
South/Central Ontario

Every day may not be good, but there's something good in every day
~ Author Unknown
B_BQ

Postby DonnaZn2SK » Sep 18, 2012 6:50 pm

My late father-in-law had a Rolex watch. He used to bet people who doubted its indestructibility - made some good money too. I think he lost it inside a cow while doing a procedure of some sort (he was a farmer and a rancher), but that's a story for another time... :lol:
DonnaZn2SK

Postby jazz » Sep 18, 2012 9:06 pm

well that makes me remember something. I had bought an omega tissot watch for my then to be husband for our engagement. It no longer works and we cant find anyone that will even look at it. my hunt on the net to tissot was a big zero. Anyone out there that can help. thanks jazz.
jazz

Postby Dumbo » Sep 18, 2012 9:28 pm

I see they still sell that black watch of yours that is broken. Nice price tag on it too. ~$1200-1500. I think I would toss the approx 300$ at it to try and fix it, but I would send it to the manufacturer to get it done since the guy you spoke too rubbed me the wrong way (or it's maybe the way you stated it).

I'll admit, I like your broken black one a bit better than your replacement one.
The internet is a very, very, serious entity created solely for commercial gains.
Canadian Gardening made me a hardcore separatist
Dumbo

Postby Katherine » Sep 19, 2012 12:57 pm

Interesting thread, and I especially loved Heidi's story. I have found all kinds of wonderful lost items in my compost bin as well.... but never a treasured watch and found it still working. Made my morning....

I have a watch that my older sister gave me. My only sister actually, and as she died back in 1981, when I was 27 and she was only 34. I treasured this watch as it was pretty much the only jewelery that she gave me that i still had, but the metal strap that was shaped like butterflies linked together had broken, then the mechanism just siezed up, but I kept it all these years. Finally a couple of years ago, I took it in to have the mechanism replaced, behind the mother of pearl face, and have the jeweler build part of a butterfly so I could wear it again. I wore it a few times, but it died. I took it to a jeweler in Nelson, who called me in and solemnly told me that the band of butterflies was actually nickel coated lead, very soft lead, and that it was NOT safe to be wearing, as the nickel was very thin and worn off in a few places.

I have an academic background in heavy metals and work on them in my job, but I am blessed if I can tell you if there is a risk to wearing a lead strap around my wrist or not, really, but Im not taking any chances. I dont know what to do with the poor thing. Seeing this thread by Brenda reminded me that watches can take on the meaning of the person who gave it to you, or the significance of what you did when you were wearing them (Heidi), and I really think I ought to do something with this kind of pretty metal butterfly watch made of lead that reminds me of my beautiful sister... but I am not sure what.

I have lots of watches, I tend to not smash them but they do take a beating. My current favorite is a Timex with a leather strap and a light with glowing hands. Its not my sister Sheena to me, but Im fond of it.

Kat
Katherine

Postby davefrombc » Sep 19, 2012 1:17 pm

Keep the butterfly watch on display in a knick knack stand or hutch .. It doesn't need to be worn to be appreciated.
BC Fraser Valley zone 7/8
davefrombc

Postby OGrubber » Sep 19, 2012 2:47 pm

Katherine wrote:....... and I really think I ought to do something with this kind of pretty metal butterfly watch made of lead that reminds me of my beautiful sister... but I am not sure what. ......Kat

Try checking with a chrome or metal plater to see what they can do for you.
Market Gardening - Just another day at the plant.
OGrubber

Postby B_BQ » Sep 19, 2012 6:17 pm

Oh Kat! That is a very special watch you have.

Would it be possible to find a jewellery designer who would be sympathetic to the watch's history. Maybe make it into a brooch or a pendant. Certainly worth investigating.

Don't you just love those 'experts'.

I posted a story a long while ago about having dinner at the Fairmont Banff Springs and the waiter telling us that the chef did not recommend that we drink regular tap water as it had too much 'minerality' in it!!!! Two of the three of us are scientists and were a bit gobsmacked at such a statement!!! We played along and had a bottle of water, refilled without asking, and then presented with the bill that included 3 bottles of water at $15 per bottle!!!!!!

I wrote to Fairmont and relayed the story - they immediately sent a cheque for $45 + tax with apologies!

~BBQ
Zone 5b
South/Central Ontario

Every day may not be good, but there's something good in every day
~ Author Unknown
B_BQ

Postby Katherine » Sep 20, 2012 12:06 am

Thanks Dave, Inge and BBQ. I guess I could also paint it with several coats of clear nail polish on the bottom surface. I have had to do that with gold rings for my DH, hes too sensitive! :)

And yes I often hear and read a lot of stuff about toxicities, and the worst I think is nutritional fanatics who read popular literature on the web, get a few half developed ideas on things, and make a lot of noise. Sometimes they can be dangerous. I am getting too old to make a fuss about stuff.

Ok well may sometimes.

I should photograph this watch for you guys.

Kat
Katherine

Previous

Return to Over the Garden Fence