Over the Garden Fence - Gardening Forums

Saying Goodbye is Hard Sometimes!

Pull up a chair and grab a cup of Java for a cozy chat about what's on your mind and what's happening in your neck of the woods. This is a strictly for fun non-gardening topics.

Saying Goodbye is Hard Sometimes!

Postby B_BQ » Sep 17, 2012 8:23 pm

The watch on the left is my Movado, 10 years old, and has served me well. After a new battery earlier this year it worked fine then just stopped. The battery was checked and it was still full.
I took it to a professional jeweller today. He said he could clean it for $150 but couldn't guarantee it would work. He also could replace the interior for about $100, but couldn't guarantee it would work, even if the parts were still available.
This watch has been perfection. I've swum in it, showered with it on, gardened, and almost never taken it off! I did have a new crystal a few years ago as the old one was so scratched.
I decided to say goodbye. I went and bought a Fossil to tide me over until I find another Movado I like. The Fossil was $100+ in rose gold colour.
My husband has been warned - I'll be needing a new Movado for my birthday or Christmas! :lol:

~BBQ
IMG_2932.jpeg
Zone 5b
South/Central Ontario

Every day may not be good, but there's something good in every day
~ Author Unknown
B_BQ

Re: Saying Goodbye is Hard Sometimes!

Postby Dumbo » Sep 17, 2012 8:54 pm

I don't know about you, but i'm fussy with watches.

Wifes computer died tonight, she says guess what I want. I said, a new leash for your 3000$ dog?
The internet is a very, very, serious entity created solely for commercial gains.
Canadian Gardening made me a hardcore separatist
Dumbo

Postby kelly_m » Sep 17, 2012 9:23 pm

I can only wear digitals. I make analogs die. But you can't find a classy looking digital.

so i just don't wear them!

One that lasts that long is definitely a good friend!
Kelly
Zone 5a/b

OLD GARDENERS NEVER DIE. THEY JUST SPADE AWAY
kelly_m

Postby Countryboy » Sep 17, 2012 9:39 pm

B_BQ wrote:I'll be needing a new Movado for my birthday or Christmas! :lol:

~BBQ

Humph! Not much of a good bye. How hard can it be, eh? :lol:
Adopt the pace of nature, her secret is patience.
.....Ralph Waldo Emmerson....

Frank . . ON5a
Countryboy

Postby DonnaZn2SK » Sep 17, 2012 11:26 pm

Brenda,

Your taste and mine are so similar, it's scary. I was eyeing up a Movado watch at the Nordstrum Rack in Honolulu a few months back...it was $600! I decided instead to buy a Seiko when I got back home, but that watch was sure nice...
DonnaZn2SK

Postby Heidi S » Sep 18, 2012 12:49 am

I lost my beloved citizen eco-drive watch last fall, knew it I had dropped in the garden while doing fall cleanup, but could not find it. I bought a cheapie at Walmart to get by with, but missed the good one terribly.

So then I was emptying out the compost bins this spring, screening out the lumps and sticks when I spotted something shiny - My Watch! Well the leather strap was toast, but the darn thing started ticking when the sun hit the solar face and hasn't stopped since. I got another strap - composting leather works quite well - but I am so glad to have it back! I've had this watch since a week before my dearest Mom died in my arms and love the dear little thing..

I understand how you feel about your dearly departed watch; I was miserable without mine, and still stunned it works after a winter in the freezing cold and mucky conditions.
Heidi S,
Prince George, BC
Zone 3!

Master Gardener in Training....
Heidi S

Postby B_BQ » Sep 18, 2012 7:50 am

Oh Heidi! From the depths of despair to the height of joy! Over a watch! Fantastic that you actually found it again, albeit without much of a strap, but that was pretty easy to replace. Nice story.

But I know exactly what you mean. There are some possessions we get very attached to. We have an unfinished basement in this house and one of these days I'm going to have to get into some of the boxes and start throwing stuff away that we haven't used for years. Just a lot a memories attached to them. (Is that called hoarding?!!! :lol: )

Donna: You should have snapped up that Movado in Hawaii! At that price it was a steal. Maybe next year? :P

I've started looking on the Net for a replacement and I'm looking at not much less than $900+ for the style I want, and those prices are deeply discounted. I have a highly polished stainless steel Movado that I wear when wearing silver jewellery. It's nice but I much prefer the gold. That one was close to $800. I probably won't buy on the Net but it gives me a good idea of what sort of money we're looking at.

Well, the Fossil is still ticking this morning. I just have to remember to take it off before getting in the shower!

~BBQ
Zone 5b
South/Central Ontario

Every day may not be good, but there's something good in every day
~ Author Unknown
B_BQ

Postby OGrubber » Sep 18, 2012 9:22 am

Nothing over twenty bucks for me.
I smash the watch faces off on a regular basis setting up canopies or folding leg tables so I go with whatever the drug store has in stock with a large easily readable face. .... I average five or six watches a season.
Market Gardening - Just another day at the plant.
OGrubber

Postby Heidi S » Sep 18, 2012 11:25 am

Hoarding, what's that? I have spent most of this summer looking after my elderly and frail Dad in Vancouver, and as we prepare to move him into a supportive living residence he has started talking about who gets what from his considerable collection of stuff. Uh, Dad, actually, my house is already full and I am not all that interested in most of the things you have been amassing over the last 25 years in this apartment. And my brother lives in Yellowknife in a 1 bdrm apartment, so no room there either.

Oh, and you think this stuff is worth something - maybe, but to be honest it will most likely go to an auction house to be gotten rid of, but I am not telling you that just now. I am not schlepping it 800 km to my home to sort it out and find somewhere to get rid of it there.

He will be taking a fraction of his stuff with him to the new residence - his new apartment is about 500 sq. ft. (1 bdrm) and his current one is 950 sq ft. (2 bdrm) So it won't all fit. We don't plan on selling the old place just yet, but by next spring, it will have to go. He can't afford to carry two places indefinitely.

I will do my best next week to help him choose his favourite things and try to get them into the new place, but after that - I don't have any idea!
Heidi S,
Prince George, BC
Zone 3!

Master Gardener in Training....
Heidi S

Postby davefrombc » Sep 18, 2012 11:30 am

I'm another that looks for the inexpensive watches. They keep as good time as the costly ones. I also regularly smashed crystals and watches when I was working; it's part of the hazards of the trades. Even in retirement, I'm hard on watches..
I really feel a lot less regret destroying a $5 watch than I would feel destroying a Movado.. LOL
BC Fraser Valley zone 7/8
davefrombc

Next

Return to Over the Garden Fence