Over the Garden Fence - Gardening Forums

At what age did you stop giving allowance to your children?

Pull up a chair and grab a cup of Java for a cozy chat about what's on your mind and what's happening in your neck of the woods. This is a strictly for fun non-gardening topics.

Re: At what age did you stop giving allowance to your childr

Postby Dumbo » Sep 24, 2012 3:15 pm

Well at least the kid is responsible. Can't really say otherwise. Just expensive tastes like mom ;)

I see nothing different than here. The only diff here is the kids will lose the net if they get mouthy with mom. We pay her cell, so she would lose that too.

The other kid isn't like this. Just the older one. She's always been like this. Yours the eldest girl as well?

So I have no answer. In the same boat with one of them, and yeah, she gets her way regardless. But this seems to happen only every 3 months or so. It's like a cycle of gimme.
Gimme new iphone or you will ruin my life.
Gimme new 500$ fall jacket or you hate me and you're cheap.
My favorite: I demand croissants every morning. I no longer eat bread. If you don't do this for me then you don't love me. That one made my jaw drop and I laughed hard. It made her even crankier when I laughed at her. :lol:

Anyhoo, I chalk it up to a teen thing. Maybe they will grow out of it? Maybe not. But only the eldest is like this.

DonnaZn2SK wrote:Marc,
That disclaimer that is at the start of all your posts....is that the equivalent of being put in the naughty chair?

ah yes. I'm bad. I forgot. Thanks for reminding me. I was going to add the disclaimer to this post, but the guy next door filled me up with so much booze last night that I will heave if I see any big bold red warning at the beginning of any post today with the way I'm feeling. I don't even remember replying to this... and I see I have a message waiting... I don't want to know what I may have wrote to anyone in the condition I was in last night... I hope I was good at least.
The internet is a very, very, serious entity created solely for commercial gains.
Canadian Gardening made me a hardcore separatist
Dumbo

Postby Heidi S » Sep 25, 2012 4:56 pm

My boy just texted me to check if he could use his 'education fund account' to pay for some required photocopying on campus.

While I look forward to the day he makes this decision without doubting himself, he does know what he is doing - he just suffers from anxiety and needs to check in.

Yes, dear son, that is an educational expense and you can use that account for it. I am seeing great strides in his ability to identify wants and needs and how to manage the costs associated with real life.

YEA!
Heidi S,
Prince George, BC
Zone 3!

Master Gardener in Training....
Heidi S

Postby DonnaZn2SK » Sep 25, 2012 5:42 pm

It sounds like your son has a good head on his shoulders, Heidi. How does he like university? My daughter is doing alright but she wasn't expecting the massive amounts of math and physics homework every night. She still goes to school looking like a fashion model, not sure when she's going to say "heck with it, I need sleep more!".
DonnaZn2SK

Postby Dumbo » Sep 25, 2012 6:41 pm

Boys and girls are very, very different.

DonnaZn2SK wrote:not sure when she's going to say "heck with it, I need sleep more!".

Likely after your grandson is born. ;)
The internet is a very, very, serious entity created solely for commercial gains.
Canadian Gardening made me a hardcore separatist
Dumbo

Postby Heidi S » Sep 27, 2012 12:07 am

My son is fascinated and confused by university so far. His profs are 'interesting' he says - and odd! He is doing humanities, so the homework is less intense maybe, but also less cut and dried.

He uses words like existential, dystopian and Plato's 'Republic' most days, so I have no idea just what he is actually learning, hopefully something useful down the line.

This boy is interested in history, loves writing and is thinking about going into journalism down the line, so maybe these are important thoughts ' just confuses me!

He isn't a follower, never has been, isn't in the pub drinking, has a lighter schedule than some due to his disability issues, so he seems to be cruising along.

Good news today - he has signed on with Walmart as a grocery clerk, earning $0.35/hr more than his job at McD's which he hated. I do hope this one fits him better and he doesn't feel so clutzy. He's been driving alone for 3 weeks and no crisis yet!

Good thing, since I haven't been home for a week and will be here another 10 days to move Dad into the seniors' residence.

Glad I can leave the guys alone for now. Packing starts tomorrow - I haven't moved myself in 15 years, so I am just so excited to do it again, NOT.
Heidi S,
Prince George, BC
Zone 3!

Master Gardener in Training....
Heidi S

Previous

Return to Over the Garden Fence