Over the Garden Fence - Gardening Forums

sunrise

Pull up a chair and grab a cup of Java for a cozy chat about what's on your mind and what's happening in your neck of the woods. This is a strictly for fun non-gardening topics.

sunrise

Postby Katherine » Oct 14, 2012 6:15 pm

We dont get em like you prairie and Ont folks do, I dont think. But this was a good one. 5:30 Am the other morning getting up early to meet a deadline...

sunrise_MG_4749.jpg
Katherine

Re: sunrise

Postby CdnChelsea » Oct 14, 2012 6:19 pm

Beautiful.
What a "picture-perfect" way to start the day.

"Those who dwell among the beauties and mysteries of the earth
are never alone or weary of life" ~ Rachel Carson
CdnChelsea

Postby bluebird » Oct 15, 2012 6:42 pm

That is a stunningly beautiful image Kat.
bluebird

Postby davefrombc » Oct 15, 2012 8:16 pm

We get them too Kat.
DCP_0647.JPG

DCP_0649.JPG

DCP_0650.JPG
BC Fraser Valley zone 7/8
davefrombc

Postby kelly_m » Oct 15, 2012 10:32 pm

Nice......
Kelly
Zone 5a/b

OLD GARDENERS NEVER DIE. THEY JUST SPADE AWAY
kelly_m

Postby LeeInEdmonton » Oct 15, 2012 11:02 pm

Here's an oldie for you Katherine:

Red skies in the morning....sailors take warning. Red skies at night...sailors delight.

Good grief....but I'm getting old & entitled to some allowances :roll:

Lee
LeeInEdmonton

Postby B_BQ » Oct 16, 2012 2:12 pm

Stunning sunrises.

Lee: Across the pond it was, and still is: "Red sky in the morning Shepherd's warning" "Red sky at night Shepherd's delight".

I wonder why it's 'Shepherd' in Britain and 'Sailor' in North America.

~BBQ
Zone 5b
South/Central Ontario

Every day may not be good, but there's something good in every day
~ Author Unknown
B_BQ

Postby Eeyore » Oct 16, 2012 4:09 pm

That is stunning Kat! Not too shabby Dave. Maybe we should do a sunrise thread? YOu show me yours I'll show you mine! I'd have to actually be at home at sunrise to get a shot though.....
Lyn
AB, Zone 3A
----------------------------------
“Those who say it can't be done are usually interrupted by others doing it.” ` James Arthur Baldwin"
Eeyore

Postby Katherine » Oct 16, 2012 11:29 pm

I remember this, Lee and every time I see a red sky I think of it. My mother was a Scot and she used to say it was Sailor take warning. So I dont know about the whole shepherd thing. Is it an ENGLISH thing Brenda, or a Great BRitain thing, hmmmm??? LOL!

However, as a kid I used to take this whole thing literally plan not to be out in the boat on a day when it was really red like this, and I do believe it has some basis in meteorology. This is from about 50 years of planning outdoor excursions when the weather can really bite.

kat
Katherine

Postby davefrombc » Oct 17, 2012 1:07 am

I don't know where the saying originated, but it dealt with the weather patterns of the area. Generally the storms moved from west to east . Red skies (sails) in the morning meant a storm was approaching and would likely hit later in the day .. Red skies (sails) at night generally meant that the storm had passed and the morning promised fair weather returning. My Irish grandfather quoted the adage as Red sails in the morning , Sailor take warning ......
Here is a better explanation of the the saying "Red sails in morning, sailor take warning. Red sails at night, sailors delight" that I got by doing a search on it .

If the sun is setting (W) and it's rays are filtered through high, thin clouds (or atmospheric dust) in an otherwise clear atmosphere, the effect is a deep red tinge. That means that there are no major clouds (weather systems) to the west to block out the sun for several hundred miles. No bad weather is expected during the night.
If, at sunrise, there are high, thin clouds that cause the red, then this often is the leading edge of an approaching weather system. (Low pressure system overriding a high pressure system.) This approaching weather system may include high winds, gales, and heavy rain or snow, none of which a sailor would like.
BC Fraser Valley zone 7/8
davefrombc

Next

Return to Over the Garden Fence