Over the Garden Fence - Gardening Forums

US Election

Pull up a chair and grab a cup of Java for a cozy chat about what's on your mind and what's happening in your neck of the woods. This is a strictly for fun non-gardening topics.

Re: US Election

Postby A Closet Canuck » Oct 31, 2012 10:16 pm

LeeInEdmonton wrote:Well said Katherine. If I could be granted a wish it would be that more Canadians become passionate about their Country, especially the large numbers that fail to vote in Provincial & Federal elections. The similar frame of mind exists in those people who are too "nice" to call a spade a spade & fail to attend seminars held by their MP because they are just "too busy" or she/he happens to not be of their politcal persuasion.

Lee

People think freedom is free. They believe they can go about their lives without paying attention or making any investment in public issues. Then, one day, they wake up with policies they don't want, people in public office who are criminals, a war that is a quagmire, and a government that is a complete embarrassment.

The downside of freedom is that people are free to be as disinterested as they wish. Pretty sad, really.
Trish in Iowa -- -- ..zone 5b or 6a
------When your feet hit the floor each morning,
---------be the kind of woman about whom

---------the devil says, "[/code]Oh no! She's up!"
A Closet Canuck

Postby Katherine » Nov 01, 2012 12:19 pm

Trish I was hoping you would comment. I hope the storm has not totally messed up this election for the US. It is possibly one of the most important elections in US history. I have to tell you this. I rode up to Yellowknife in the plane with a hunter from Texas in September. He was positively vitriolic about the entire east and west coasts of his country. He talked very loudly about killing people, about civil war if Obama wins the election. He was just so filled with hate! He deeply resented that his son didnt have a job, after getting an advanced degree in wildlife management. Never mind his son lives in RENO because thats where his GF lives. Big surprise no WL jobs there. But he didnt see that. He blames his president for everything. This is just one person, but I see such division and lack of civility everywhere in the US.

Its downright scary. Up here, we have a right wing clandestine oil monger running the show, ready to sell our petroleum companies to CHINA. Go figure. George Bush was right, we are addicted to oil.

All the best and hoping for America. You guys are our friends, I hate to see people suffering and yeah people need to get out the vote. if you dont vote, you cant complain right? 8)

ke
Katherine

Postby davefrombc » Nov 01, 2012 1:36 pm

One forum I'm in has several far right wing US members. Their prejudices and biases are unshakeable in the face of facts. "Their minds are made up, don't confuse them with facts". I stir the pot occasionally when they start spouting false claims about our healthcare system, pipeline activity and oil markets, and other things they want to twist to try to support their views. They can't understand jobs can't come without markets for their products and it is international markets that are needed for more than limited recovery.
The worst for refusing to believe there has been any recovery from the disaster of the Reagan/Bush "trickle down" free wheeling years is a Nevadan... . LOL
He has some like minded allies in the deep south; but they are balanced by left and centrist members in Florida , California and New England states.
Personally , I think Romney's nomination was the best the Republicans had running for the nomination.... and he is a bad joke at best. I hope there's enough moderate Americans can see through the antics of the Republicans. The election's going to be close.
BC Fraser Valley zone 7/8
davefrombc

Postby A Closet Canuck » Nov 01, 2012 1:54 pm

Katherine wrote:.......I hope the storm has not totally messed up this election for the US. It is possibly one of the most important elections in US history.
Its downright scary................George Bush was right, we are addicted to oil.

All the best and hoping for America. You guys are our friends, I hate to see people suffering and yeah people need to get out the vote. if you dont vote, you cant complain right? 8) ke

I couldn't let this topic slide. LOLL LOL

The storm has not messed up the election for the U.S. Quite the contrary! To quote Dana Millbank, "It appears Mother Nature is voting Democratic this year." LOL And, the latest polling support that view. In the past few days Iowa went from tied to a nice lead for President Obama.

Of course, the Democrats now are running footage of Romney from last year saying he would privatize the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA). I'm pretty sure Romney will lose New York and New Jersey and he may lose Virginia for the same reason. Yee-hah!!

As for ugly, angry, loud-mouthed Texans, I'm sorry you had to sit next to it. it is interesting that he blames the president rather than taking personal responsibility. But, that is how some people are - my stupid decisions are the other guy's fault. Republicans are good at talking personal responsibility for the poor, women, etc. But, they can't seem to muster same for themselves.

As for George Bush's comment, we wouldn't be "addicted to oil" if his adminstration had been behind wind and hydro energy. An Ivy League education at Yale and Harvard certainly didn't help him. LOL LOL

A Closet Canuck

Postby A Closet Canuck » Nov 01, 2012 2:06 pm

davefrombc wrote:One forum I'm in has several far right wing US members. Their prejudices and biases are unshakeable in the face of facts. ...........

Welcome to America, Dave. LOL LOL When door knocking, I hear the same thing. American public education has failed us. Students don't learn critical thinking and the schools no longer teach civics (constitution, etc.)

Then there is organized religion. Your comment about conservatives from the south is a symptom of this. More and more people belong to "independent" churches where ministers (many never having been to seminary or even college) peddle whatever brand of right wing theology and/or hate they choose. Remember Terry Jones, the guy he wanted to burn the Quoran?

Pastoring these churches is a business - you grow a flock so you can have a job and support your family. And, if keeping the job means being hateful and outrageous that's what they do.

The ecumenical movement among religions that started in the 1960's is dead because of the lack of participation of these independent ministers. I have heard some truly crazy stuff from residents who belong to these churches - parishoners are encouraged to be intolerant of others and to remain isolated to their little group. It is eating away at our larger sense of community.

A Closet Canuck

Postby Katherine » Nov 01, 2012 5:30 pm

Interesting comments, and I got a real laugh out loud at the concept of Mother Nature voting Democrat. I guess the scary thing is NO ONE is really paying attention to global climate change in North America. MItt Romney scares me but his running mate scares me even more. I am hoping you are right Trish.

k
Katherine

Postby A Closet Canuck » Nov 01, 2012 8:57 pm

Katherine wrote:......I guess the scary thing is NO ONE is really paying attention to global climate change in North America. MItt Romney scares me but his running mate scares me even more. I am hoping you are right Trish. k

What you say about climate change is so true. We will be very sorry for our inattention, I'm afraid.

As for Paul Ryan, they need to send him back to Mother Russia (or was it the Middle Ages? I can't remember). LOL LOL Wouldn't he be a FUN date? LOL LOL

A Closet Canuck

Postby Lizcordysmum » Nov 03, 2012 11:13 pm

have spent a lot of time on a lot of newspaper sites, following this election lead up. Don't want to step on any tender tootsies here

I firmly hope Obama gets in, and is able to stop being the good community organizer he wanted to be, and starts laying down some oresidential edicts.

I never dreamed that having fought the fight for my daughters, I would have to fight again for granddaughters, and one day, great granddaughters. It is a RIGHT to choose what happens to our female bodies, and well worth fighting for.

And YES, I hate the thought of abortion being used instead of self control. I don't live in a perfect world and I know it.

As is medicare a RIGHT for everyone who needs it...hang your head in shame if your country doesn't provide it for all...except for the very rich...Yup, the very rich, who do NOT need our help in any way, shape, or form.

God help America. Please.
Cordy's Mum, Liz
Rain Coast, BC Zone 7b/8a

Nae words, nae quarrel
Lizcordysmum

Postby A Closet Canuck » Nov 04, 2012 10:11 am

Hello, Lizzy. You are so right about Barack Obama. He has spent too much time trying to play nice in the snake pit. Here, people say he needs to grow a pair but I doubt he will ever be as tough or ruthless as, say, Bill Clinton.

Obama has gotten us out of Iraq, is getting us out of Afghanistan, dealt with bin Laden, gotten the country back to the jobs numbers that existed at the start of the recession, and has made the right choices for appointments to the Supreme Court. For these actions alone he deserves a second term.

As for women's rights, I also thought we didn't have to fight that one again. Alas, younger women take so much for granted, probably the way we took the right to vote for granted. Two more appointments to the Supreme Court by a thoughtful Barack Obama will take care of that issue for years to come. I'm hoping the Democratic president (maybe Hillary?) after Barack Obama will appoint Barack Obama to the Supreme Court. He's probably going to live a very long time.

A Closet Canuck

Postby Lizcordysmum » Nov 04, 2012 6:26 pm

Lots of private comments going on in my head...likely best place for them.

Will say that cleaning out that snake pit is the Real task...and methinks it would take a miracle.

I would very much like to have President Obama for a close personal friend. (and NO, I am not on Facebook!!! don't want those kind of "friends"!)

Best of luck to you, Closet Canuck...and all the others like you.

Sincerely,
Liz
Cordy's Mum, Liz
Rain Coast, BC Zone 7b/8a

Nae words, nae quarrel
Lizcordysmum

PreviousNext

Return to Over the Garden Fence