Over the Garden Fence - Gardening Forums

25 October

Pull up a chair and grab a cup of Java for a cozy chat about what's on your mind and what's happening in your neck of the woods. This is a strictly for fun non-gardening topics.

25 October

Postby B_BQ » Oct 25, 2012 7:33 pm

What a glorious day today. 20+ degrees and sunny. I mowed the back lawn and used the clippings to use as a mulch on one of my raised beds. I've just planted some garlic, German Hard Neck, there.

I also planted a number of Japanese Windflowers:
Pamina
Max Vogel
Prince Henry
Queen Charlotte

Hope they make it through the winter.

Supper: Atlantic Salmon Fillets with Israeli Couscous/Herbs and a salad of toms and cukes.

~BBQ
IMG_3170.jpg
Zone 5b
South/Central Ontario

Every day may not be good, but there's something good in every day
~ Author Unknown
B_BQ

Re: 25 October

Postby kelly_m » Oct 25, 2012 8:32 pm

was a busy busy day.....DD had football finals in Orillia, then went home...well took coffees to a friend then picked up daughter then skating.....but was abe to make a decent dinner of leftover steak stirfry over rice.....

Was a spectacular day....wish I could have spent it in the yeard/gardens!
Kelly
Zone 5a/b

OLD GARDENERS NEVER DIE. THEY JUST SPADE AWAY
kelly_m

Postby Countryboy » Oct 26, 2012 9:54 am

I finally got around to spreading topsoil down a short bank that drops to my 'sunken' patio. It's been the gkid's playground for the last year... but no more! ;) lol

Last Spring I transplanted a few Trillium roots high on the bank, so they may show next Spring. The addition of the topsoil and transplanted Sweet Woodruff will form the basis of this new sloping garden with FMN and early bulbs.

My biggest problem will be to keep kids and animals off this new bed. The dog is used to charging out the back door and up this bank to challenge any Squirrels that may not have fled already.

Adopt the pace of nature, her secret is patience.
.....Ralph Waldo Emmerson....

Frank . . ON5a
Countryboy

Postby mollyzone5 » Oct 26, 2012 10:24 am

I just got rid of all the stuff my grandkids had here to "play" with when they come over,but never played with at all.Got tired of all this stuff,the sandbox I kept to use for a pool for the geese I am getting in the Spring.It looks so much better,and I can put the area to much better use.The pool is gone and am working on the oval area where it was,turning it into a showcase flower garden.Lots of work,but well worth it.Cant wait until Spring!Yes these few nice days have been great,wishing for a few more,but have my doubts.
mollyzone5

Postby Northpine » Oct 26, 2012 12:29 pm

Yardwork is just a distant memory now in my neck of the woods.
I need to get the snow shovels ready for action. We have the kind of snow that appears to be determined to stay, so I think this is it.
I would like to feel hunkered down and cozy and warm in the house, but just before this snow hit, we had a rather heavy rainfall and discovered the roof is leaking. Now there's is ice and snow on the roof, and I can't see how we will be able to do anything about this at this time. It's not a good feeling to know that snow is going to pile up there, and eventually have to melt doing who knows how much damage. Why didn't this show up earlier is what we can't figure out.
I feel I am dogged by water problems. The night of the storm I had gone downstairs to check on the sump pump before bed (because of a previous bad experience) and instead discovered my ceiling falling down.
Marie
Zone 1b, Northern MB
One of the most delightful things about a garden is the anticipation it provides. ~W.E. Johns, The Passing Show
Northpine

Postby Countryboy » Oct 26, 2012 12:53 pm

Northpine wrote:I would like to feel hunkered down and cozy and warm in the house, but just before this snow hit, we had a rather heavy rainfall and discovered the roof is leaking. Now there's is ice and snow on the roof, and I can't see how we will be able to do anything about this at this time. It's not a good feeling to know that snow is going to pile up there, and eventually have to melt doing who knows how much damage. Why didn't this show up earlier is what we can't figure out.
I feel I am dogged by water problems. The night of the storm I had gone downstairs to check on the sump pump before bed (because of a previous bad experience) and instead discovered my ceiling falling down.

Ouch! Ceilings falling down is not good. :( OTOH, I've had it happen to me. And the upside is that they only fall down once. :) lol

As much as comes down, there would be no point to repair it 'til the roof is fixed. If it was me, I would probably plan on living with it 'til then. But also, there may be something u can do in the meantime.

If and when u can, take a walk away from the house and give the roof a good visual inspection. Sometimes a 'rather heavy rainfall' will cause a leak where a normal rainfall would not. But this kind of rain may also sluice something *normally leaves* down into a valley to form a dam. And that may be causing a sudden leak.

Regardless, when possible, keep that area of the roof as clean as u can . . of leaves, snow or ice . . for as long as it takes.

And best of luck with it!
Adopt the pace of nature, her secret is patience.
.....Ralph Waldo Emmerson....

Frank . . ON5a
Countryboy

Postby Northpine » Oct 26, 2012 2:36 pm

Countryboy wrote:

Ouch! Ceilings falling down is not good. :( OTOH, I've had it happen to me. And the upside is that they only fall down once. :) lol

As much as comes down, there would be no point to repair it 'til the roof is fixed. If it was me, I would probably plan on living with it 'til then. But also, there may be something u can do in the meantime.

If and when u can, take a walk away from the house and give the roof a good visual inspection. Sometimes a 'rather heavy rainfall' will cause a leak where a normal rainfall would not. But this kind of rain may also sluice something *normally leaves* down into a valley to form a dam. And that may be causing a sudden leak.

Regardless, when possible, keep that area of the roof as clean as u can . . of leaves, snow or ice . . for as long as it takes.

And best of luck with it!

Thanks Frank,

DH did get up on the roof and did an inspection prior to this snow and ice, and did find some cause for concern. It has rained again since, only lightly this time, and it leaked again. Yesterday he was going to get up on the roof again, and I wouldn't let him. I convinced him it was pointless with the ice and snow, not to mention downright dangerous. He didn't need much convincing. He did get up in the attic and can see where the water is coming in, but we all know that probably isn't the entry point.
And yeah, we won't be repairing anything until we figure this out. The damage is high up in the stairwell, so will be awkward to access.
Marie
Zone 1b, Northern MB
One of the most delightful things about a garden is the anticipation it provides. ~W.E. Johns, The Passing Show
Northpine

Return to Over the Garden Fence