Over the Garden Fence - Gardening Forums

Pilot Bread. Three Grain.

Pull up a chair and grab a cup of Java for a cozy chat about what's on your mind and what's happening in your neck of the woods. This is a strictly for fun non-gardening topics.

Pilot Bread. Three Grain.

Postby Durgan » Oct 30, 2012 1:51 pm

http://www.durgan.org/URL/?ZXJXH 30 October 2012 Three Grain Pilot Bread.Wheat,flax,quinoa.
Pilot bread was made using whole grain wheat flour,flax,and quinoa. Called pilot bread, since it is very hard, with most of the moisture removed and has to be softened in a steamer,microwave,or dipped in liquid.This means it can be kept for long periods at ambient temperatures.(Hardtack) if you like)
The flour was made from whole wheat grains using a Wonder Mill flour grinder. The flax and quinoa seeds were beat in a blender with water.The mixture was kneaded into a ball, and rolled into a strip and cut into pieces. The pieces were placed on a teflon pan greased with butter.The pieces were cooked at 375 for 30 minutes, then flipped over and baked again at 375 for 30 minutes. This is to insure through cooking in the centre. The quantity depicted is about a 7 day supply for one person.The pilot bread is stored in the refrigerator or vacuum packed or frozen as desired.At room temperature, vacuum packed, it will keep about ten days or more before molding dependent upon the inherent moisture present. Pictures depict the process.
Zone 5 Brantford,ON
http://durgan.org/2011/
Durgan

Re: Pilot Bread. Three Grain.

Postby Katherine » Oct 31, 2012 12:34 pm

My bros are pilots (retired, but still). So is the hardness supposed to remind them of what it might feel like to crashland? :lol: Seriously thanks for posting Durgan, you havenae been aboot lately. We used to make stuff like this for when we were bouviacing into some god forsaken mountainside somewhere and had to take stuff that was light and sustainable over a ten day period. Hard on the teef.
Katherine

Postby Lizcordysmum » Nov 05, 2012 11:14 pm

I couldn't chew pilot bread if we soaked it in soup.

I DID find a receipt for soda bread...any one will do...and you wind it over and around a nice green stick and burn it over a roaring fire...a form of bannock!

It of course, will not keep like Durgan's hardtack!
Cordy's Mum, Liz
Rain Coast, BC Zone 7b/8a

Nae words, nae quarrel
Lizcordysmum

Postby Durgan » Nov 06, 2012 11:34 am

Heating one pilot bread paddy in the microwave, the pilot bread is about the same texture as a typical commercial bagel. My main purpose is the nutritional value, and the ingredients are varied from batch to batch for variety. I have conditioned myself to "eat to live not live to eat". This does not prevent me from partaking of the typical diet on festive and social occasions. Certainly the largest improvement has been the complete removal of added sugar in all its disguises from my diet.
Zone 5 Brantford,ON
http://durgan.org/2011/
Durgan

Postby Lizcordysmum » Nov 06, 2012 3:21 pm

Having become a toothless old crone, bagels and the likes are beyond me.

I have always eaten to live, and not "lived to eat" and I am happy to report I have FINALLY lost 25 ugly pounds this summer. It is amazing how much weight a person can lose, crawling on hands and knees to do gardening...and how much less it strains the back!

If I conquered my Coke habit, I could likely either keep it off, or lose another 20.

Bread...it IS the staff of life...nothing like the smell of it baking, is there?
Cordy's Mum, Liz
Rain Coast, BC Zone 7b/8a

Nae words, nae quarrel
Lizcordysmum

Return to Over the Garden Fence