Over the Garden Fence - Gardening Forums

Noisy Neighbourhood

Pull up a chair and grab a cup of Java for a cozy chat about what's on your mind and what's happening in your neck of the woods. This is a strictly for fun non-gardening topics.

Noisy Neighbourhood

Postby B_BQ » Oct 31, 2012 2:13 pm

Well, fairly noisy.
Yesterday both next-door-neighbours were having trees that were too large taken down, (unfortunately the biggest one, which is the one that causes me palpitations as it overhangs our roof is being left until spring), so there was the noise of the chainsaws and the smell of newly cut wood. Not unpleasant.
Today, again, there was lots of activity in the cul-de-sac. Large trucks and a crane came in and proceeded to take down a massive and magnificent blue spruce on another neighbours' property.
When we want to have trees removed the individual home owner would have to pay.
These trucks and cranes that came in bore the Belleville Utilities emblem on the side.
I'm thinking that maybe the owners felt bad about cutting down the spruce, that had grown far too large on their front lawn, and was dwarfing their 2-storey home, and offered it to the City. I'd like to think that was the case and that it will end up being the Christmas Tree outside City Hall!
That would be a good give and take situation. The owners would save about $700+ and the City would be out for the cost of the crew to take it down and transport it.
~BBQ
Taken from our property:
IMG_3193.jpg
Zone 5b
South/Central Ontario

Every day may not be good, but there's something good in every day
~ Author Unknown
B_BQ

Re: Noisy Neighbourhood

Postby Heidi S » Oct 31, 2012 2:23 pm

It seems to be a sign of a neighbourhood's age when mature trees have to come down. That is happening here in my area too.

This subdivision was built starting 1972 and all the houses are having their roofs replaced, siding and insulation updated, and big trees brought down.

For a while it was because of the pine beetle infestation which killed over 90% of Prince George's urban forest of mainly pine trees, but it also includes very large cottonwoods, birches and poplars which are all very weak trees and break when they get too old.

Nature's renewal urban or not!
Heidi S,
Prince George, BC
Zone 3!

Master Gardener in Training....
Heidi S

Postby B_BQ » Oct 31, 2012 5:57 pm

You're right Heidi. This subdivision is around 20 years old. There are many very mature trees in this area, including, thank goodness, in our own back yard. We have several very large spruce and fir trees, and we love them. They're not in the way at all, and provide us with great privacy and an abundant number of birds who enjoy the safety within them. It's those trees that were originally planted too close to homes that become such a problem. We have a beautiful weeping beech at one of the corners of our house. It is huge and gorgeous and we cannot bring ourselves to remove it, but it is too close to the house, as are a couple of very majestic columnar maples that frame the house. I always dread Fall when the massive leaves from them start to fall! So much work.
~BBQ
Zone 5b
South/Central Ontario

Every day may not be good, but there's something good in every day
~ Author Unknown
B_BQ

Postby LeeInEdmonton » Oct 31, 2012 7:17 pm

Yup...our home is 21 yrs old & we had it reshingled back in mid-year. Trees !!! When we bought & moved in there was the house & bare lot. Planted trees with much enthusiasim. After all they were little bitty samplings & despite knowing how large they would grow we ignored that because I was gonna retire in 5 yrs & of course we would be moving to a milder climate than Edmonton's. It didn't happen & 4 years ago we had
the lot reworked to low maintenance. Five trees came out of the back yard alone. Still made me sad despite knowing that it had to be done. Still have enough trees to give us pleasure when looking into the backyard from the sunroom & kitchen.

Lee
LeeInEdmonton

Postby Ron Evers » Oct 31, 2012 7:21 pm

Unfortunately to many new home owners plant inappropriate trees on small lots as well as too close to the building. I have seen such beautiful trees like Weeping Cyprus planted next to houses as in a foundation planting only to have to be cut out in about 10 years - damn shame.

My spreading Junipers planted next to the house were offset 12' from the foundation & looked rather silly for a tree of about a foot across. For the last few years I have been cutting them back from rubbing on the house.
Ron.

The wood is clear between the knots.
Ron Evers

Postby Katherine » Nov 01, 2012 8:30 pm

I really hate to see big trees come down too. I have had a few come down on their own though. One very large white pine totally crushed the neighbours hedge and left a huge dent and big gouges in the lawn, if it had landed on the house...matchsticks. This happened when we had taken Jane to Mexico to go diving. It missed her room by several feet.

Then another white pine (they get white pine blister rust girdles in the midsection....) BOOM right through the birches narrowly missing the house car, etc. Another series of dents and gouges in the front lawn this time. It ripped out the power to three houses. Jane and I were out that time and came home to this huge mass of live wires so its a good thing for cell phones. we could not get into the house for an hour.

Jane lives in Kelowna now. :shock: :lol:
Katherine

Return to Over the Garden Fence