Over the Garden Fence - Gardening Forums

Cedar Waxwings are stripping my Mountain Ash tree

Pull up a chair and grab a cup of Java for a cozy chat about what's on your mind and what's happening in your neck of the woods. This is a strictly for fun non-gardening topics.

Cedar Waxwings are stripping my Mountain Ash tree

Postby Heidi S » Oct 31, 2012 9:20 pm

cedar waxwings stripping mountain ash berries.jpg

There were at least 50 birds in this tree grabbing berries. The top half of the tree is now empty, but they haven't noticed the bottom half has berries too!
Heidi S,
Prince George, BC
Zone 3!

Master Gardener in Training....
Heidi S

Re: Cedar Waxwings are stripping my Mountain Ash tree

Postby Eeyore » Nov 01, 2012 11:58 am

Beautiful!

I hope they find mine soon. The tree is loaded and those birds would be so fat they couldn't fly!
Lyn
AB, Zone 3A
----------------------------------
“Those who say it can't be done are usually interrupted by others doing it.” ` James Arthur Baldwin"
Eeyore

Postby Katherine » Nov 01, 2012 12:22 pm

Very cool photo, Heidi! I love it when the swarm all over the mountain ash, like that. I have a bunch in my yard too. And I notice that one day the tree has a bunch of berries, and the next....nada. So I missed it again. lol

k
Katherine

Postby B_BQ » Nov 01, 2012 7:15 pm

We've started seeing the odd Cedar Waxwing in our garden since we planted a Mountain Ash and a Serviceberry. Yes!
I am in awe of these beautiful birds. There was an unfortunate window crash at our last house, and unfortunately a Cedar Waxwing didn't survive. It did give us a chance to have a closer look at this lovely bird. Incredibly beautiful, with its fine dusting of what looks like face powder.
~BBQ
Zone 5b
South/Central Ontario

Every day may not be good, but there's something good in every day
~ Author Unknown
B_BQ

Postby Lizcordysmum » Nov 04, 2012 6:34 pm

Beauty photo, Heidi!

For many years they came for the berries in the Hawthorn tree here...this year, not one showed up.

Robins and Starlings LOVE the Mountain Ash berries here...well-fermented...the Robins also devoured the Hawthorn berries this year.

I have approx. 50 little birds...chickadees, sparrows, juncoes coming for my feeder...their chorus begins around 3 p.m. until I give in and fill it around 4 p.m. The minute I appear all goes dead silent...fill the feeder, put it back up...step back and say "Seeds, guys...SEEDS!:" and before I get five steps away, the feeder is covered in fluttering wings.

What a Gift they give me!

(Dinner will be early today...heavy rains, 58 kph wind gusts...glad the feeder is in the most sheltered place I can find. Of course I still have to go thru the wet and wind to get to it, but I guess that's MY job!)
Cordy's Mum, Liz
Rain Coast, BC Zone 7b/8a

Nae words, nae quarrel
Lizcordysmum

Return to Over the Garden Fence