Over the Garden Fence - Gardening Forums

Rats....snowing & blowing

Pull up a chair and grab a cup of Java for a cozy chat about what's on your mind and what's happening in your neck of the woods. This is a strictly for fun non-gardening topics.

Rats....snowing & blowing

Postby LeeInEdmonton » Nov 07, 2012 8:22 pm

Already I'm tired of winter. So far today 6" of snow & still falling. Wind blowing pretty good as well. Simply refused to go outside being content to look but not touch. Will bundle up tomorrow morning & crank up the snowblower to clear the driveway and front walks then take the car & check the community mailbox to see if anything was left today by the mail person.Also to post a few bills. Good thing we did our grocery shopping yesterday.

Lee
LeeInEdmonton

Re: Rats....snowing & blowing

Postby Lizcordysmum » Nov 07, 2012 8:47 pm

Lee, would you consider adopting me? I don't eat much, and I am VERY quiet...I hope you live near a library tho.

Daughter One sent pictures from St. Albert today...and two of her family members made it to work, 2 hours for a 45 minute drive...son could not make it, highway cloesd. Her daughter gets off work at 8 tonight, and MUST get to HER home as boards dogs and they are waiting for her.

Her pictures were gorgeous...so are the ones on the Weather Network channel.

Hope you are safe, warm, and well fed.

Liz
Cordy's Mum, Liz
Rain Coast, BC Zone 7b/8a

Nae words, nae quarrel
Lizcordysmum

Postby LeeInEdmonton » Nov 07, 2012 11:58 pm

Hello Liz: Yup we are about 15 min. from two libraries. Not being able to work in my shop due to the sinus problems I literally inhale books. Usually go through 7 books in two weeks. I take out 8 because 1 often turns out to be a bummer. Being neighbourhood libraries they are about one step above being nursery schools. Pretty heavy on pre-teen & teen literature which means I really have to hunt & in most cases try new authors'. Have you noticed more than a few well known authors have started teaming up with someone you have never heard of & guess who actually wrote the book. It is something like Gen.Elect. selling a fridge with their name & logo on it but actually built by Amana in China. Close to being consumer fraud in both examples.

Lee
LeeInEdmonton

Postby Lizcordysmum » Nov 08, 2012 12:53 am

for me, 10 hardcovers since last Friday...(a couple are large print) and I have two pocketbooks for tonight...a Lee Child re-read, and a Jeffery Deaver. Louise Penny is excellent, gets better with every mystery.

I do wish Reginald Hill, and Ian Rankin could write with both hands...Martha Grimes too. Used to lvoe Dick Francis...son Felix not so much. James Lee Burke remains excellent...Elizabeth George has strayed from the path.

Absolely loathe noir mysteries...and a lot of new youngish writers go in that direction.

I have a ten minute drive to our small library...and the newish librarian is greatly in favour of e-books and believes everyone else is also. Pocket books no long on swinging racks, but on tall shelves, and all gendres are mixed together. This is rough on those with lame backs, or bad knees, eyesight...but there IS more room for computer setups now...and library book club discussions.

Despite a very ageing population, the aisle for the pocketbooks is too narrow for scooters/wheelchairs, and not that easy for walkers...ONE chair for those who need it. Must say large selection of Large Print books for those with difficult eyesight, large selection of magazines, music, DVDs, and even videocassets for those with only a VCR.

I agree about the new authors not being quite up to snuff, altho some DO show promise if only I hang in there. The library DOES get a lot of brand new books...and I bring my wheelie suitcase so I can load up. Our library is also for teens, large selection, and has a children's room...hugely popular altho only one circulation desk requires patience on the part of crabby old me! It makes good sense to avoid Children's puppet plays, special story-telling...but it IS so much fun, too...room is so small childlike adults cannot get in, sadly.

Nights when a story teller comes to amuse the adults, are very well attended.

Our library IS a lving place...big metal bowl filled with water on hot days, for accompanying dogs. Beautifully planted and maintained "flower" boxes near the doorway..."winter" greenery at the moment and some darned interesting stuff I must find out names of. A bouquet of things from someone's garden always on the front desk, year round. Tables and also comfortable easy chairs for those who like to read the newest issue of whatever magazine, or the day's newspapers, or have a quiet chat with like-minded souls.

And always, a smiling welcome from folks on the desk. I most always feel very good being there. Gotta love small cities!
Cordy's Mum, Liz

Nae words, nae quarrel
Lizcordysmum

Postby Rupietoot » Nov 08, 2012 8:59 am

Gotta love libraries! It is great that they are making them fun for the little ones and carrying books for the teens and "tweens" (is that a word?). It is lovely to see people introduced to the world of books early; reading is such an important thing and not as many people are doing it now...

Susan
Rupietoot

Postby CdnChelsea » Nov 08, 2012 10:10 am

Oh no...
Sounds like winter is early this year. Great.. :roll:

This morning I woke up to see some heavy frost on the ground. No wonder my old bones are aching.

In my next life, I would like to be one of my furbabies, little miss Chelsea. She has figured out the warmest spot to sleep; the gas fireplace.

IMG_0401.JPG

The pilot light keeps her nice and warm but when it turns on, she is outta there in a flash. The look on her face is priceless when the fireplace gets warmer then hotter.
She then retreats to her little cat bed, not as warm but pretty good.

"Those who dwell among the beauties and mysteries of the earth
are never alone or weary of life" ~ Rachel Carson
CdnChelsea

Postby Lizcordysmum » Nov 08, 2012 1:37 pm

Cdn. Chelsea: Hmm, in my next life, since Lee doesn't appear interested in adopting me in this one, I vote for being one of CdnChelsea's cats!

These aching morning bones of mine feel rejuvenated...I stepped outside this morning with Lily, 2 degrees out there...blue sky, bright sunshine, cold air...and inhaled...lovely COLD air...sure beats vitamins!

Ilove Chelsea's colours so much.)

Hamish loves the top of my computer tower (old fashioned here) One paw outstretched, on my knee as long as I type...when I leave, so does he.

Rupietoot: I can't imagine a world without libraries, book stores, used book sales....gee, maybe I'm addicted?
Cordy's Mum, Liz

Nae words, nae quarrel
Lizcordysmum

Return to Over the Garden Fence