Over the Garden Fence - Gardening Forums

iMAC EXPERT NEEDED!!!

Pull up a chair and grab a cup of Java for a cozy chat about what's on your mind and what's happening in your neck of the woods. This is a strictly for fun non-gardening topics.

Re: iMAC EXPERT NEEDED!!!

Postby Heidi S » Nov 14, 2012 7:51 pm

See, Kelly, I have worked for almost 25 years with PC's, and have found them even worse. I have never had this problem that Dave and Mare are talking about, but I have had plenty of blue screen of death on PC's, and just wouldn't purchase one for home. Most of my 'computer' problems are of my own doing, which my guys fix immediately (software-user interface issues, they call it) - In the 24 years Mike and I have been married, we have had one computer fail on us, and the only problem with that was he forgot to back up the photos from the harddrive - so it wasn't MAC's fault - just the operator!

My hubby's work just purchased his school PCs to replace their aging MAC computer lab, which was still running fine, and now they have 10-15 of 30 computers out of service each week. The only reason the school district went all PC, was because the lab technician staff insisted it was much easier to manage - these computers were installed in September, and they have yet to have an entire lab working at once. It certainly has been a make-work project for the Techies, and has ensured they have secure, long term employment, but it didn't make anything better for the teachers or students!

Sadly, the educational software programs for PC are poor quality compared to the things that could be done on the old MACs. Because my hubby was the head tech teacher on staff before this change, the rest of the staff keep calling him to ask how to get something they used to have back - his answer - you can't - doesn't exist on this platform.

Cost-wise, they work out to about the same - MAC's include most needed software, and equipment, PC's are mostly sold in separate pieces. This district has not saved any money going PC by their own admission - they just decided to do it on the Techies' recommendation of labour savings - which have certainly not materialized.

I will continue to buy MAC, until I have more evidence that PC would work better for me. I even found the service at the Apple store to be exemplary - on time, considerate of my specific time needs, and they made sure to keep the costs down, even doing a recall replacement of my laptop's case, although it didn't technically qualify for the program due to my purchase date.

I groan when I have to use the PC at work - although I will say this, the software looks more and more like MAC's every time there is a change!
Heidi S,
Prince George, BC
Zone 3!

Master Gardener in Training....
Heidi S

Postby kelly_m » Nov 14, 2012 7:58 pm

Wasn't me Heidi!! That was Dave! LOL

Have a PC..it does what I need

Have an Ooooollllldddd Macbook, i book whatever. Works fine for what I need.

I don't complain much about my stoopid computer, except when it is about to die!~!LOL

But then I always do the right thing and call the expert before trying to fix xomething I know I can't fix!!LOL
Kelly
Zone 5a/b

OLD GARDENERS NEVER DIE. THEY JUST SPADE AWAY
kelly_m

Postby Heidi S » Nov 14, 2012 8:08 pm

so SORRY, Kelly - another operator error - DAVE, you were the object of my rant!

Maybe I will just head back to the kitchen and work on that apple/rhubarb/cranberry crisp I was going to make.....
Heidi S,
Prince George, BC
Zone 3!

Master Gardener in Training....
Heidi S

Postby MsMew » Nov 14, 2012 8:26 pm

Formidably Fabulous has same initials as Fire Fighters, don't it? nyuknyuk K, when I concernedly crinkle, it's only with left brow. Now, how can I learn to spend the next few decades of my Life crinkling the right solely to create pleasing brow balance, do you know? 8)

Good news is that, in beginning to clean up chases of paper in basement as I'll be putting homestead on market sooner than expected, I finally came across invoice for "MacJack" and he's actually 4 years and 3 months young. Called the retailer and the oldish tecky who sold me the cherished machine said he'll remedy the password nightmare for a modest sum. A few weeks ago, Fido "gave" me a Sumsang smart phone and I've been using it circumspectly until I can go online via iMac to read its freakin' manual. K et al, I have been e-whelmed! :!: :!:

Super Dave and Heidi, I've been using Macs happily and yeah, a little smugly, since 1988 and sorry to have slammed PCs, but I always have and...ummm, once my Mac is up and running....I'll most likely continue to do so. Just cuz it's become second good nature. harhar [patting PC's maligned dashboard apologetically]

Seriously, thanks for C&Ping that info, Dave. You're a gent. Always have been. Good thing I didn't do what I'd thought to do from "memory" which was to hold down the C key while installing the Install/Restore CD.

G'nite all. Thanks for listening and assisting and being YOUs.
MareE in Hill O'FranticFileFolderFumblings;o}

Editing in @8:26pm: Sheesh. Not the first time that's happened, leaving the message window open while tending to a batch of Minestrone and missing the in-between convos before hitting Send. Was reminiscing to dog Jack that when I joined the CG forums around same time as BBQ the only other Mac users were Butterfly and someone else whose name I wish I could recall. Wonder what the ratio of Mac to PC users is today?
Last edited by MsMew on Nov 14, 2012 9:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MsMew

Postby davefrombc » Nov 14, 2012 9:27 pm

Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrr !.. I was typing a nice long reply to Heidi and hit a wrong key.. Poof ! went my reply.. Oh well. PC or Mac is a personal preference and there are fiercely loyal users of each . I've only been messing with PCs since '98 . First one was a Dell P2 450 running Windows 98..Before that I played with a Commodore 64 ( there was no internet or reason for me to go to a PC until I returned to the coast) Windows has come a long ways since those days. I'll stick with my PCs.. I can build them to my specs, and fix failed parts easily and relatively inexpensively . So far I have had 1 hard drive fail , one power supply, one motherboard and one video card go ... not all on the same machine .. LOL... The motherboard was because of failed capacitors and was covered under warranty. The power supply and video card both were victims of overheating from failed cooling fans on them. In that time I've had 2 monitors die .
I've blue screened many times...mostly my fault since I learned to use and service my machines by trial and error .. Heavy on the error. I've fixed PCs for a few friends .. mostly their deaths were from heat problems from failed fans in the case of hardware ( you gotta open them up and evict the dust bunnies on a regular basis or you're gonna get bit .) By far the biggest problems have been from Viruses and Trojans .. Something Mac users were real smug about until recently. With over 90 % of the computer market, Windows machines were the main target of the criminal element . Mac users have been learning to their dismay they are also becoming increasingly vulnerable. There's even been a few hitting Linux users.
There's no reason so many PCs should be down at Heidi's hubbies school district. Either the students have been doing something they shouldn't be on them, or the techies are falling down on their jobs .. Most educational and business software is ported to both PC and Mac now. A lot of todays software was developed on PCs and then ported over to Macs. Older software used in school Macs were pretty much Mac specific and the Macs shone mainly in their graphics handling . Such isn't the case now .. Nearly every software company has both PC and Mac versions of their programs out, and PCs don't need to take a back seat to Macs in video and graphics any more.
BC Fraser Valley zone 7/8
davefrombc

Postby MsMew » Nov 14, 2012 10:18 pm

davefrombc wrote:A lot of todays software was developed on PCs and then ported over to Macs. Older software used in school Macs were pretty much Mac specific and the Macs shone mainly in their graphics handling . Such isn't the case now .. Nearly every software company has both PC and Mac versions of their programs out, and PCs don't need to take a back seat to Macs in video and graphics any more.

8) :twisted: IF you say so, Dave. I'd been working as a "graphic artist" perfectly content with my drafting board, air brush, Mayline parallel rule, Rapidographs, darkroom Eskofot enlarger and other tactile tools when KLABOOM copyrite Trish in '88 our studio took on the horrid B&W Mac, Dave, and it wasn't developed from any PC. BUT, this is a very old argument and I'm glad everyone has video and graphics available on whatever machine they choose to use. For people (I knew) in the graphics industry of the mid-80s, there were mixed feelings about Mac or ANY computer replacing our hand-held tools. The learning curve WAS exciting and challenging tho', have to admit. Pay scale didn't suffer, anyhoo. ;o}

As much as I cringe upon hearing people using the term "back in the day", that's how I think of the graphics industry now, rather than the previous Before Computers = BC. Back in the day. [sigh]

Heidi, before that I was a graphic arts high school teach. I must be as fogey as you and your husband. laffs

Ramblin' MareE most likely missing a point or two but rusty at cyber socializing;o}
MsMew

Postby Lulu » Nov 14, 2012 11:40 pm

[quote="MsMew"]
Ramblin' MareE most likely missing a point or two but rusty at cyber socializing;o}
]

Hi, and welcome back, MareE/MsMew! Your cyber socializing has been sorely missed!
Lulu

Postby MsMew » Nov 15, 2012 12:39 am

Sniff. I've sorely missed you and many others here, too, dear LindaLu. I'm so sorry to report major neglect of gardening (especially of Brugs and Heirloom Toms) and in keeping contact with friends this Summer. My Mom was placed in an excellent Stouffville LTC Monday and up to that point it's been a relentless whirlwind to which you can relate. Will NEVER catch up HERE. Obviously I've missed my own puter for communicating. laff Hope your Mom and rest of family are doing well.

Anonst till Mac is back,
MareE
;o}
MsMew

Postby Lulu » Nov 15, 2012 1:06 am

♥♥♥
Lulu

Postby Lizcordysmum » Nov 15, 2012 1:15 am

Yikes, a difficutlt time, times a thousand, Niece.

Glad you have made it back home...there's no doubt you have been missed a LOT.

I date back to late-mid 1980...and Disk Operating systems...and absolutely horrible telephone modems...and I still love my windows XP...I do not know what I would do without internet access. Twiddle my thunbs, professionally?

I don't care how you achieve it, the "medium is the messaage" right? sorta, kinda.

Hope all is straightened out and easy peasy once more. YOU have been sorely missed in my life.

Yr owd Tante.
Cordy's Mum, Liz
Rain Coast, BC Zone 7b/8a

Nae words, nae quarrel
Lizcordysmum

PreviousNext

Return to Over the Garden Fence