Over the Garden Fence - Gardening Forums

Trying Everything Old is New Again...feedback required.

Pull up a chair and grab a cup of Java for a cozy chat about what's on your mind and what's happening in your neck of the woods. This is a strictly for fun non-gardening topics.

Re: Trying Everything Old is New Again...feedback required.

Postby B_BQ » Nov 17, 2012 4:15 pm

This is much more like the forum of old. Having a good old chat about all sorts of different subjects.
I agree Dan's life sounds very very busy, and rewarding. His place must be something really special.
It's so great to see you Lulu. You always had something interesting to tell us.
Scrap, I too need to get on the treadmill again. As we get older we need to keep our muscles active and moving around helps to keep the bones strong.

Liz: The cauliflower cheese can be eaten by itself. That's what we often had/have for lunch.

Another simple dish, which you probably would enjoy, (it's easy to eat!), would be potato, onion and cheese 'pie'. Not really a pie because it is only mashed potatoes, with finely sliced raw onion and a fair amount of grated cheese all mixed together, put into a casserole dish and sprinkled with more cheese/breadcrumbs, and bake in the oven until brown on top and bubbly. This is one of my favourites. We always have it with sliced pickled beets, but beets any which-way would be great IMO.

~BBQ
Zone 5b
South/Central Ontario

Every day may not be good, but there's something good in every day
~ Author Unknown
B_BQ

Postby orchidguy » Nov 17, 2012 8:49 pm

B_BQ wrote: As we get older we need to keep our muscles active and moving around helps to keep the bones strong.

No truer words could be spoken

I keep very physically active, not because I want to, but things need to get done. I also like good food, but up to this point haven't gained weight, so think this is part of the reason why. Another is 'everything and anything in moderation only"..... I wish I had the same outlook when it comes to plants....still obsessive

Something that I have noticed is I've woken up a few times this past year, with a small ache here and there, and still don't know where it comes from. Everyone is telling me, that age is finally creeping up on me....great....something else to look forward to

Scrap,
If you're looking for a good workout, there are still many acres of land that need landscaping here (wink wink) :lol:

Lulu
or do we have to call you Master/Mistress gardener Lulu now? :lol:
I am so proud of what you are accomplishing, and now know where to direct my many garden queries.
As always, I think of you and your mother quite often, and hope all transitions concerning mental and physical are handable

Liz
I feel blessed to be living where I am, but still sometimes think, a condo in downtown T.O. with a little balcony garden, just might be a simpler life
orchidguy

Postby Heidi S » Nov 18, 2012 1:44 am

Lulu - I am a Master Gardener in training - did my course at the University of Northern BC from Jan to April 2012 and am doing my 70 hours of volunteer work and education work - even did some today. Our chapter of MGs formed in 2008 sponsored by our local David Douglas Botanical Garden Society. We have 32 members and the next course is fully subscribed for 2013.

I have worked at community plant sales, garden tours, seedy saturday, participated in planting work bees at our botanical garden which is growing a lot now that we have most of the hardscaping finished. Check us out at: http://ddbotgarden.bc.ca

Other than doing the parent patrol down at the coast this summer looking after my frail and elderly Dad and Mom-in-law, I have been hard at work in my garden, kitchen and on the job. One of the kids at work today asked me if I had any kids, and I said I had one son, age 19. She said, you can't have a kid as old as her - I look too young, yeah Right, and I am almost 54, so I was not a young mom at all! Made me laugh!

I do lots of lights - more every year - I like lights particularly now that I live much further north than when I was young. Our town has quite a reputation for lots of lights and it really brightens things up at the darkest time of year.

I do some yoga for stress relief and walk my dear little dog, Molly for exercise. My son is busy at university and working, my hubby teaches grade 3 and always marking and working on school stuff and I read a great deal in the winter, visiting the library every 2-3 weeks.

Life seems to fly by, and I can't keep up, somehow. Knowing that our parents are in their last stages of life, makes me sad, and know I will be off and running at a moment's notice to deal with their next health crises. We are spending Christmas at the coast to be with both of them, with the thought that it will probably be the last one. My brother and his partner are getting married on December 27th so my Dad can be there for it. My husband and I are not ready to be the oldest members of our immediate families but we know it is coming soon. I feel like there is a major shift in our lives coming soon with that change, and the next phase without a child at home, and heading towards retirement is our next big focus.

So, the joy of being a gardener is very important to my life. It is something I do just for me. I like helping neighbours and friends with their little gardening problems, and teaching people about plants, pruning and what grows well here. Gardening is a big part of who I am!
Heidi S,
Prince George, BC
Zone 3!

Master Gardener in Training....
Heidi S

Postby Scrapinthehat » Nov 18, 2012 3:57 pm

Orchidguy....oh if only I lived closer! Don't know that I could keep up with you, but never really shyed away from hard work. I do know that I would love it there.
Simplier isn't always the solution...could get boring quick. You seem to thrive on all the "chores"....mostly self-inflicted...haha.

Heidi and Lulu....our Masters in trainig....good going girls!!!
"Better to be a silly girl with a flower, than a silly boy with a horse and a stick."
Jocelyn, a character from A Knight's Tale
Scrapinthehat

Postby Lizcordysmum » Nov 18, 2012 8:34 pm

What a pleasure it is to read this "chat" thread, read it and re read it. Catching up with many of my favourite folks.

BBQ ta for receipts, ALWAYS and ever. I also make a mean onion pie, with lots of bread, sliced onions, baked in the oven...it is to drool.

Orchidguy...I must warn you about that condo. I left my beautiful one 20 years ago...lovely place, huge balcony, nice sized fenced in patio.
So easy care...such a delight.
But while you can take the gardener out of the garden, you cannot take the gardens out of the gardener. We lived there for four wonderful years, and I had beautiful wisteria, roses, a water feature, many many many plantings, on the patio, on the balcony, and in the front divider outside the front door.

I did not keep chickens, or goats, tho! Just a Siamese cat, a calico, and a tortiseshell. And fish tanks full of African cichlids.

Heidi, you never ever know what delights will happen in your future...I am sure there will be more than a few for you. Chin up.

Liz
Cordy's Mum, Liz
Rain Coast, BC Zone 7b/8a

Nae words, nae quarrel
Lizcordysmum

Postby Lizcordysmum » Nov 18, 2012 8:50 pm

Today, I went to my first Craft Fair in two years...we are having a weekend of mighty wind storms here so I had that to look forward to, if the Craft Fair wasn't exciting.

But it was. Omigosh it was...99% of the follks are professionals...mine eyes have seen the glory!

I came home full of ideas. I also came home exhausted. But, I noticed the lady next door was outside, very busy making Christmas wreaths...120 of them. She will have a Decorate a Wreath weekend next, at the senior's centre. I am really lucky because I get to recycle her trimmings, long-needled pine, spruce, cedar...this saves Himself and me from having to drive far up and away in the mountains, and we don't have a 4 x 4.

So...out came my baskets...I have three hanging baskets, the kind with the rope going all around. Two rounds, and a pointy one.

I used up all the recycling in the first basket...chicken-wired in place, in a little bucket of water. Looks lovely as can be, (huge) on the table...and those winds are so fierce right now that if something isn't nailed down, it takes flying lessons. (has anyone seen my plastic tablecloth? and is that camoufllage-coloured tarp YOURS?)

The table is covered in trimmings...Hamish has been in 7th Heaven for the past two hours...the things to SMELL, the things to hide in, peek out at...it's almost as good as being allowed out into the garden to play!

That nice neighbour lady asked me if I wanted a wreath...(free) but I like to use my old handmade artificial ones, from many years ago...lots of memories tied up in these. HOWEVER, I did dig thru some boxes of Christmas stuff, and found a big grocery bag full of wired-Christmas ribbons...wide wide stuff, and slightly narrow-er - ribbons I will never ever use. All nice and clean, darn near given away at a going out of business sale years ago. I carried it over...her woman friend smiled and said "hello!" and said "DO I see RIBBONS???" and they were both as excited as puppies!

It is a really really feel good kind of a day here!
Cordy's Mum, Liz

Nae words, nae quarrel
Lizcordysmum

Postby Lulu » Nov 18, 2012 8:52 pm

Heidi S wrote:Lulu - I am a Master Gardener in training - did my course at the University of Northern BC from Jan to April 2012 and am doing my 70 hours of volunteer work and education work - even did some today. Our chapter of MGs formed in 2008 sponsored by our local David Douglas Botanical Garden Society. We have 32 members and the next course is fully subscribed for 2013.

I have worked at community plant sales, garden tours, seedy saturday, participated in planting work bees at our botanical garden which is growing a lot now that we have most of the hardscaping finished. Check us out at: http://ddbotgarden.bc.ca

So, the joy of being a gardener is very important to my life. It is something I do just for me. I like helping neighbours and friends with their little gardening problems, and teaching people about plants, pruning and what grows well here. Gardening is a big part of who I am!

Great website, Heidi! Read the section on MG's,,appears to be quite different here, and am wondering if it is because you attended the Univiersity, while I am doing it through distance learning? The 70 hours volunteer work is the same, though. There is one workshop that is held in Nova Scotia in the summer, but it is not mandatory for the Ontario students. I will, if possible, attend it, simply because I still have relatives there, so, accommodations will not be an issue for me, and it will be great to see my kin.

And, I totally get the "joy of being a gardener"; I tell folks I got started with brugs because I was housebound, (with my mother's elder care), but, now,,,the plants OWN me!
Lulu

Postby MsMew » Nov 18, 2012 9:03 pm

YHave yet to read whole thread but YES, everything OLD being NEW again is the ultimate solution to what ails this forum, dearest Tante. Spot ON!!

Yr forever Niece;o}
Last edited by MsMew on Nov 18, 2012 9:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MsMew

Postby Lizcordysmum » Nov 18, 2012 9:35 pm

Halo not crooked...is shining blindingly bright, Niece. I can see it gleaming from here.

Enjoy, darlin'.

Yr owd Tante
Cordy's Mum, Liz

Nae words, nae quarrel
Lizcordysmum

Postby MsMew » Nov 18, 2012 9:40 pm

OOOPS, edited out A LOT whilst you replied, Owd Tante. So difficult not to OFFEND these days, y'ken. Sheeeesh and why I oughta....

And I can't find my signature font colour!

Yr adorable Niece;o}

PS Truly am rusty with this keyboard. Have a pic of double rainbow to post....

MsMew

PreviousNext

Return to Over the Garden Fence