Over the Garden Fence - Gardening Forums

What's Happening ....

Pull up a chair and grab a cup of Java for a cozy chat about what's on your mind and what's happening in your neck of the woods. This is a strictly for fun non-gardening topics.

What's Happening ....

Postby Laura » Dec 02, 2012 7:09 pm

Well just thought I would play catch up here.Brian,Sarah and I are all well.We have had a few things going on,nothing very important but took me a while to take care of them.The latest thing that occured was Brian's dad fell and cracked a bone near his hip replacement and is awaiting reports from the doctors to see if he will be ok to head south.He and my mil were packing the car to head out when the fall happened,they usually leave in october.

I am still eating carrots from the garden,I planted so many this year it seemed but they are really tasty at this time of year.The Patch is not cleaned up yet because I have been otherwise occupied lately but hopefully I can get to it this week.We had a great feed of greens this season too .. not B's fav but I love them.The beans did not do much just a bean here and there and Sarah ate them ... who knew schnauzers liked beans ... lol.The hedge that we hacked off last fall grew up bigger and better this season.I had been afraid to cut it but I shouldn't have.It was six feet tall again by mid summer.

I did have some birds at the feeders but not too many.I think they stayed in the forest out of the heat.It was very dry this season.I did have chickadees,downy and hairy wp's on a regular basis.Occasionally some other song birds also.Now I am getting blue jays along with the chicadees and wp's.I did see a couple pine grosbeaks while out on walkies a few streets over so am hoping they might find me later on.

We have had a few flurries today but the rest of the week it will be in the pluses and a bit rainy.It does not seem like december.My christmas castus is blooming and I bought myself an amaryllis and started that also.So will have a couple blooms in the house.I did gather together a few sticks,twigs and vines and made an arrangement for the front step of the house.Not christmasy but festive anyway.

Well that is what is/has been happening out this way.I miss gardening and sitting outside on my swing but I will keep on digging til the ground is to frozen to do it anymore then ........I plan new garden for the spring ....lol.

Hope you are all doing well and keeping your gardening light shining !
Laura

Re: What's Happening ....

Postby Lulu » Dec 02, 2012 7:41 pm

Do you have a picture of your "not Christmasy, but, festive arrangement, Laura?

A birch fell in our front yard, so, was looking for ways to use it up in an arrangement for my front entrance.
Lulu

Postby Laura » Dec 02, 2012 10:24 pm

Lulu wrote:Do you have a picture of your "not Christmasy, but, festive arrangement, Laura?

No but can take one and post tomorrow ... and keep in mind it is the very first one I have ever done .... this is your warning NOT to expect much.
Laura

Postby Laura » Dec 03, 2012 12:36 pm

Here is your picture Lulu .... it is rather dull and misty today,it really looks better with the sunshine lighting it up.

The container is the one I have planted with flowers in the summer.I just cut off the flower stems and left the roots and dirt in the container.Then I stuck the things I had collected in the dirt.

The things I used are ....

Red dogwood ( my sister and her boyfriend got this for me while they were out at a friends cottage as he was trimming on his property )

Cedar branches ( Brian and I "rescued" this from the garbage )

A few fir spears ( this was the top of a tree in with the cedar we rescued )

Some sprigs from the bittersweet vine from our garden.

Three pine cones the grandkids picked up for me at thier other grandmothers garden.

I think some birch branches would have been nice in this but I didn't have any so this is my arrangment ..... best thing is I didn't pay anything for it !!!

100_5034pb.jpg

Good luck with your project and please post a picture for us.

Laura

Postby Rupietoot » Dec 03, 2012 4:06 pm

Your arrangement is lovely Laura! Really beautiful. From your description I certainly wasn't expecting this; you are far too modest! Very seasonal looking and the dogwood is certainly red.

Thank you so much for taking the time to take the picture and post :)

Susan
Rupietoot

Postby Lulu » Dec 03, 2012 6:21 pm

That is beautiful, Laura,,looks very "Christmassy" to me,,and gives me a good idea where to start with mine. Thank you so much for taking the time to post the picture for me.
Lulu

Postby bluewillow » Dec 03, 2012 6:23 pm

Love it Laura! All natural and could not be better. Thanks for the pic.
If dandelions were hard to grow, they would be most welcome on any lawn. ~Andrew Mason
bluewillow

Postby Katherine » Dec 03, 2012 10:06 pm

I love it! A bucket o Xmas. Very nice. Its also nice to see you posting again. I dont get on here too often. Darned ipad wont access CG and visa versa. And my laptop is kind of not reliable.

kat
Katherine

Postby Lizcordysmum » Dec 04, 2012 9:06 pm

Laura, I LIKE it!
Cordy's Mum, Liz
Rain Coast, BC Zone 7b/8a

Nae words, nae quarrel
Lizcordysmum

Postby orchidguy » Dec 04, 2012 10:00 pm

[quote="Lizcordysmum"]Laura, I LIKE it![/quote.......me too