Over the Garden Fence - Gardening Forums

Babble, babble, babble

Pull up a chair and grab a cup of Java for a cozy chat about what's on your mind and what's happening in your neck of the woods. This is a strictly for fun non-gardening topics.

Babble, babble, babble

Postby Lizcordysmum » Dec 15, 2012 11:03 pm

So, I have been ill again for another week, but TODAY is a recovery day...Yahoo!

Am booked into local hosp. for Jan 16th to have all lower teeth yanked out. Husb. finally getting to see urologist on Jan 2nd on Vanc. Island for a recall.

Not a single snowflake has fallen here because you eastern bast*rds just won't share the wealth...and neither will my own Central Interior and Northern folks, but mustn't grumble.

Instead, we have WILD winds...100 kph last night, and more expectted...Lee? Otnorot? It surely do blow the stink off you! I'd have added JOY to this but I'm sure she just stinks pretty!

Well those 6 dozen cookies that got lost/held up by Greyhound DID get to D3 and family, and they have been eating them....I may make some Lemon-Lime cookies for husb tomorrow. Got the stuff for the cheese ball he loves too. Got ALL the pet presents today...even with HIM watching...he keeps saying "Lily has enough toys" b-b-but! Hamish got a mouse...of course...pull its tail and it dashes along. He will not be amused unless I play too, of course.

Today I bought what I said I never would again! A LIVE tree. Okay, it is a Norfolk Pine, 3 1/2 feet tall and bushy, in a 10" pot...let us hope I can treat her well and enjoy her every year. (I own a LOT of artificial trees, btw.)

Hamish is greatly enjoying the Norfolk tree, on the kitchen table (the only table)...I hope to decorate it tomorrow. Glass candy cane lights, so no heat on tender branches.

I gifted myself too...bought some lovely fine very soft white wool to knit a scarf...and with my # of purchases, got it for $11...so half price! All I gotta do is make these fingers work right!

LOADS of smiles in Safeway, huge grocery...loads of freindly chatter from everyone as I steered around with my high cart fulll of Norfolk Pine....and friendly happy cashier as well.

Going to try "TARNEX" on the silver tomorrow...the tv ads convinced me to give it a try. Gotta get lots more candles...smelly ones. Want very much to get beeswax ones for the table, if I can...and yes, folks do bees here. Just where?

A real treat driving home after dark, with Christmas lights everywhere I looked....the town's Christmas tree is gigantic, and overloaded with multicoloured lights and lit up candycanes...seeing it is as good as a big hug from someone who loves you very much!

So: FEED the BIRDS, folks.

And enjoy this wonderful festive season...we only get it once a year.

Love to All.
Lizzy
Cordy's Mum, Liz
Rain Coast, BC Zone 7b/8a

Nae words, nae quarrel
Lizcordysmum

Re: Babble, babble, babble

Postby B_BQ » Dec 15, 2012 11:46 pm

Whoa! Hold the candles! One sniff and I'd be laid up for a week!
No snow here, yet!
Much traffic, little merriment, but oodles of sighs looking at a possible replacement for my Mini, with another Mini! Nothing at all wrong with my present Mini - just 9 years old, 34 clicks, but hubby thinks I should be at least looking! Not unless it comes to me on a silver platter!

~BBQ
Zone 5b
South/Central Ontario

Every day may not be good, but there's something good in every day
~ Author Unknown
B_BQ

Postby Laura » Dec 16, 2012 12:00 am

... this forum is sooooooo slow tonight ..... ( pardon my complaining )

Ahem ....anyway sorry to hear you were feeling poorly Liz,so glad for your recovery day !!

Sounds like you had a great day.All the sights and sounds must have been lovely.We had a quiet day at home today,cleaning,hubby did the high parts,top of the media center,bookcase,and glass cabinet.It is great to have a tall helper when you are a shorty like me.

My son and his girlfriend came over to hide presents here for the kids.They both looked so tired ... I remember that and I feel for them.All I have to do is bake and for me that is trying enough.I sent out the christmas cards on friday.

I am looking forward to going for a walk to look at the lights.If it is too cold we drive but I prefer to walk.Love to go down Main Street where the city puts most of the christmas lights,all white but still pretty.There are colors in Victoria Park though.

The bit of snow we got the other day has stayed and the wind is blowing a bit but it was a sunny day and the sky was a lovely blue.This coming week we are forcasted to be in the pluses.Liz, I would share my snow but after the snow came freezing rain and the snow is now ice .... still looks good but you can't make snow angels or men with it.Sarah loves it though and she must stick her nose in each footprint and inhale deeply before going on to the next one .... it takes forever to get anywhere with her.

I did empty the bird feeders,washed and refilled them all,had a Mr.Downy and a Mr.Hairy visit today but that was all the feathered guests we had.I do miss the birdies when they don't come.Maybe I should stop singing when I am out in the garden ... THEY do it so much better than I ... lol.

Laura

Postby Lizcordysmum » Dec 16, 2012 12:27 am

Hello my fellow women! Good to hear from you both!

BBQ...I do hear you on the smellies...I have had to walk out of lovely shops because of too too much. But, I can do lavender (real stuff) and I can do Fr. vanilla candles, and I consider myself blessed.

If you get another Mini, I hope she will be a red one. I have never lost my love for bright red cars...until this poor aged Dodge Intrepid 96, I always had a bright red fancy lass.

alas!

Ms. Laura...any story you tell me that includes beloved Sarah, is a Good un. I canna walk to town to see the displays, it is well over 3 km...and husb. and I are both "hippies" in the older sense, not the pot-smoking, flower-children sense!

I am including a link here...something soft and gentle, at the UK Guardian newspaper...about The Snowman, and the Snow Dog.

Dream along with me.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/tv-and-radio/ ... og-remakes
Cordy's Mum, Liz
Rain Coast, BC Zone 7b/8a

Nae words, nae quarrel
Lizcordysmum

Postby B_BQ » Dec 16, 2012 12:10 pm

Lizcordysmum wrote:If you get another Mini, I hope she will be a red one. I have never lost my love for bright red cars...until this poor aged Dodge Intrepid 96, I always had a bright red fancy lass.

This is the one! :lol:
~BBQ

6155607209.jpg
Zone 5b
South/Central Ontario

~ Author Unknown
B_BQ

Postby Laura » Dec 16, 2012 12:55 pm

That is a sweet ride !! ..... please come east in the summer and Sarah and I will take you on a tour to Fundy National Park .
Laura

Postby jazz » Dec 16, 2012 1:13 pm

Sorry yu have been under the weather. We have snow here and 40 cm mon and tues.

I too am making cookies, fudge sugar pie and coconut pie.

And btw i bought tarnex 20 yrs ago. And it did not work. STill have the stuff in basement. Will try it to see that maybe the yrs have transformed it.

jazz
jazz

Postby B_BQ » Dec 16, 2012 8:22 pm

I have quite a lot of silver unfortunately! Most of it was won by beautiful doggies in the show ring, and Mama had to polish it! Not a job I enjoy.

I've tried many silver polishers over the years.

These are three I have in the house at the moment.
IMG_3327.jpeg
IMG_3327.jpeg (70.75 KiB) Viewed 3332 times

The one I ALWAYS go to is 'Twinkle'. It is easy, does a good job, and doesn't take much time.
~BBQ
Zone 5b
South/Central Ontario

~ Author Unknown
B_BQ

Postby davefrombc » Dec 16, 2012 10:50 pm

Have you tried the mad chemists way of polishing silver? Line a large glass baking dish with aluminum foil; fill with hot water and add between 1 tsp and 1 Tbsp each of salt and baking soda. Submerge your silver in the solution and in contact with each other and the aluminum.. Remove , rinse and buff when the tarnish is gone .. It doesn't take long , so don't leave the silver in too long or it could thin out plating on silver plate.
BC Fraser Valley zone 7/8
davefrombc

Postby B_BQ » Dec 16, 2012 11:08 pm

Dave: Yes, tried that. Even bought an aluminium plate for just that purpose, but it didn't really work satisfactorily. At this point in time 'Twinkle' is my go to! :)
~BBQ
Zone 5b
South/Central Ontario

~ Author Unknown
B_BQ

Next

Return to Over the Garden Fence