Over the Garden Fence - Gardening Forums

Babble, babble, babble

Pull up a chair and grab a cup of Java for a cozy chat about what's on your mind and what's happening in your neck of the woods. This is a strictly for fun non-gardening topics.

Re: Babble, babble, babble

Postby Lizcordysmum » Dec 20, 2012 1:29 pm

I hope you realize that I am praying for a rainy weekend while you are travelling about Vancouver?

With sunny breaks for the wedding!

(love the idea of the sunflower!)
Cordy's Mum, Liz
Rain Coast, BC Zone 7b/8a

Nae words, nae quarrel
Lizcordysmum

Postby Heidi S » Dec 20, 2012 2:01 pm

Thanks for the driving wishes, Liz. We are now facing avalanche risks though, as I mentioned in my morning post 'driving complications' . Oh well, it may be a very long driving day. My hubby is a good driver, but conditions do make a difference.

The wedding, will be, ummm, interesting. Full catholic service at the bride's church, with our atheist family on the other side of the hall. I have no issues with being at a church wedding, and we are always respectful of others' beliefs, but I suspect it could be a bit dramatic as some of her siblings never fail to attempt to convert you in every conversation, every time. It wears very thin after a while.

We will be very under represented in the crowd, and will just have to go with the flow. But my brother is happy that they have made this commitment to stay together after some rough times and his compromise is the church wedding. They are both in their 50's so not without the ability to make their own decisions. It might have been easier to wait a few months, but with Dad's health declining rapidly, we risked not having him with us, which both the bride and groom couldn't have.

Anyway, time to get dressed and start shoveling, the snow is just hammering us right now, then down to -20 over night, so got to keep up the clearing before it solidifies beyond shoveling stage.
Heidi S,
Prince George, BC
Zone 3!

Master Gardener in Training....
Heidi S

Postby Lizcordysmum » Dec 20, 2012 2:57 pm

I have never felt the desire to steer people away from their personal faith, and I have no use for those who feel they have a right to attempt it with me.

I wish everyone was coming together to celebrate the folks' commitment to one another, to be joyful for them and wish them well. Maybe this WILL happen, I hope so!

I do not envy you the arduous drive, or the snow shovelling at your end. I will stop complaining about the rain (for about five minutes!)

I AM wishing you many truly happy moments throughout...hope you see sunshine, and see many beautiful vistas on your way down here...and on your way home again. (Natural beauty is a great comfort to me, you see. I hope it is for you, two...too.)
Cordy's Mum, Liz

Nae words, nae quarrel
Lizcordysmum

Postby Laura » Dec 20, 2012 9:49 pm

Well,got the baked goods all packaged up for B's boss and the grandkids.Even have enough left to take to the in-laws.Since they are home I thought they might enjoy a few treats.Next season I am going to try to find some recipes that freeze well so I can make treats ahead a bit.

Weather was so nice today but a bit sloppy,Sarah got soaked and salted on our walk and had to get practically bathed when we got home.Tired her out though so she will have good nappies tonight.Due for lots of rain tomorrow 15 mm they are saying.That will make a great dent in our snow I imagine.

Was day dreaming of the garden today now that it is covered with snow.Been toying with the idea of planting the Patch with flowers instead of veggies.Would be loverly to go out and pick bunches of colorful blooms instead of yellow beans .... hmmmm

I will probably just do the same as always and cram it all full of stuff and have a tangled mess ..... not very scientific but fun to do ... lol.I really do like my kitchen garden with a bit of everything in it.

I like this babbling thread .... thanks Liz for starting it ....

Laura

Postby Lizcordysmum » Dec 21, 2012 2:04 pm

I agree, Laura...the kind of Open Topic where someone can suddenly yell "Squirrel!" and everyone's head(s) turn that-a-way!

I hereby approve of both the mixed garden patch, OR the all flowery one. Whichever gives you the most Joy is what is important, but you already know this, Oh Smart One!

saw NB's snow on weather channel, and drooled, And then thought of how Sarah would be enjoying it! How very nice to know Sarah!

I have gull-coloured skies, and can see the ocean which is the same colour. It is warmish and calm enough to have a window open (and I do.)

Happy Day to you, Laura!
Cordy's Mum, Liz

Nae words, nae quarrel
Lizcordysmum

Postby agedgardener2 » Dec 21, 2012 3:01 pm

I wanted to go to "Victory" to replenish my supply of tropical fruit supply but there is a red screen on the TV...better stay home.Snow ,freezing rain then rain r snow again.Everyone is so busy I can't ask anyone to get stuff.The season at our store started slowly but once there was snow business picked up and my son is working until eleven at night.
I don't envy you folks out there who have to drive in the mountains.
Liz can you eat fruit and vegetables on your diet?I bought half papaya last week and find it just as sweet and satisfying as any cookie.
It may have been the full moon....dear old willow got me up 3 times last night.I wonder if he has arthritis too.He loves the heat of the electric blanket.I just wish he wouldn't "sing" so loud...wakes the whole house and then knocks down the nick knacks on my bureaus.He is lucky I love him! Joy
agedgardener2

Postby Lizcordysmum » Dec 21, 2012 4:05 pm

Stomach doesn't tolerate fresh fruit or fruit juices very well. Blueberries are okay, some grape juice. Have never liked fruit all that much, and cannot tolerate whole wheat breads, either.

I don't much like cookies...altho I love the IDEA of cookies!

But, I do love cooking, baking, and the idea of food...I am finding it hard this Christmas Season when I must avoid so much in foodstuffs...just right now, that is. Cooking and baking, trying out new recipes, these took the place of a lot of other former activities...I feel rather lost, frankly.

But, my good spirits have returned...I have got everything medical and dental out of the way, all blood tests done, pre op for surgery. There sure was a huge bunch of stuff to do and it feels so good to have it done. I will NOT think about next momnh until I have to!

As for pussy cats and making noise in the middle of the night...from the start Hamish was told "NO" "Go to SLEEP." and so he is a Good Boy, mostly. But, Lily responds to things that go bump in the night and wakes me growling, and gruffly barking in a soft voice. She also will come back to bed, and will settle down. Still, I get wakened.

YOU are sure getting your Christmas snowfall! We are back into the Rainy Season. I MUST get to the library again...they'll be closed for several days and I don't think they'd be very understanding if I broke into the building!

I'm feeling a desire to re read The Scarlet Pimpernel, the Three Musketeers, Dickins, Sir Walter Scott...if only the font sizes were larger in those old dears. One gets spoiled with computers...I keep wanting to click on something on tv, and go to "full screen"...my telly is 10 years old...large enough screen for size of the bedroom/computer area.

Merry Christmas, Joy!
Cordy's Mum, Liz

Nae words, nae quarrel
Lizcordysmum

Postby agedgardener2 » Dec 21, 2012 8:04 pm

Liz , go to the Kindle store.You could probably get those books free....or the reader store.Get them and read them on the computer.You can pump up the letters for sure.With my one eye problem......that's how I read now.I have a Sony Reader but you can get stuff on the computer ..no need for a reader .Try it You'll lie it. Kindle will send you daily Emails about their freebies.. Joy
agedgardener2

Postby agedgardener2 » Dec 21, 2012 8:14 pm

Liz you could also google
Pixel of Ink Daily Email Joy
agedgardener2

Postby Lizcordysmum » Dec 21, 2012 9:29 pm

Was to be a present for Husb. but he said he didn't want it.

I WILL look into the sites you both sent...thank you! You never know, he might change his mind!

As for me, I read too fast...went to Library today and brought home 18 books, had two unread at home, and bought a Maeve Binkey at WalMart, 40% sale.

And husb. changed his mind about cell phone too, so he got one of those...he wanted one like mine, one basic charge for phone included 365 days of use, no connect charges...$39 plus change...got it at 7/11. I don't text, and I rarely talk...I spend all my time being told to charge my phone. Haven't used mine yet.

And ALL stocking stuffers are bought...(I am exhausted) and I think Santa is going to have to put them in a pair of pantyhose. I MUST have a pair of pantyhose somewhere.

Thank you both for tips!

sleepy time now.
Cordy's Mum, Liz

Nae words, nae quarrel
Lizcordysmum

PreviousNext

Return to Over the Garden Fence