Over the Garden Fence - Gardening Forums

Turkey Question ???

Pull up a chair and grab a cup of Java for a cozy chat about what's on your mind and what's happening in your neck of the woods. This is a strictly for fun non-gardening topics.

Turkey Question ???

Postby CdnChelsea » Dec 18, 2012 8:08 pm

Every year my husband receives a fresh organic turkey from his boss. Usually it arrives 2 days before Christmas.

This year, the fresh turkey will be delivered 6 days before Christmas. I'm worried that 6 days will be too long for it to sit in the refridgerator. I worry about bacteria.

My husband suggested to freeze the turkey for 3 days and then put it in the fridge to thaw.

What would you do?

"Those who dwell among the beauties and mysteries of the earth
are never alone or weary of life" ~ Rachel Carson
CdnChelsea

Re: Turkey Question ???

Postby B_BQ » Dec 18, 2012 8:21 pm

I would err on the side of caution. Freeze it for 2 or 3 days, put in the fridge for a couple of days and if it has not thawed fully then bring it into a cool room. Better to be safe than sorry.
Nowadays I buy a regular unadultered turkey, cheap as chips, and brine it for 24 hours. Our garage is unheated so that's where it's kept.
~BBQ
Zone 5b
South/Central Ontario

Every day may not be good, but there's something good in every day
~ Author Unknown
B_BQ

Postby CdnChelsea » Dec 18, 2012 8:39 pm

Thank you, BBQ. That's what I will do.

I've got another question for you. How do you brine a turkey and why?

Just curious. I have never heard of brining a turkey.

Thank you : )

"Those who dwell among the beauties and mysteries of the earth
are never alone or weary of life" ~ Rachel Carson
CdnChelsea

Postby Lizcordysmum » Dec 18, 2012 9:12 pm

I second BBQ's motion for freezing the bird for three days too.

(but, we thaw in the fridge for a day and a night, and then from early Christmas morning (depending on size of the bird) in cold water, with cold water running into the cavity.)
Cordy's Mum, Liz
Rain Coast, BC Zone 7b/8a

Nae words, nae quarrel
Lizcordysmum

Postby B_BQ » Dec 18, 2012 9:28 pm

I was getting tired and apprehensive about the 'butterball', fat injected, turkeys that have become so prevalent. I was pretty sure that the butterball was not being injected with butter and I didn't really want to know what type of fat WAS being used!

I came across an article about brining, and decided to give it a go a few years ago. The instructions were to absolutely not use a fat-injected turkey, but just a plain one.

Well, it turned out to be so moist and delicious, that I always use that method now.

There are many recipes on the net, but over the years I basically use kosher salt and about the same amount of brown sugar, (you could use molasses, treacle), and whatever else you feel like putting in. I use chopped unpeeled onion, garlic, fresh herbs if I have them, (sage, thyme, parsley), and/or dried, black peppercorns. Whatever you have around.

After dissolving the sugar/salt mixture, (usually at least a cup of each), in hot water, let it cool. Put the turkey in a large container and cover it completely with the dissolved sugar/salt/herb solution, cold water and ice cubes. The turkey has to be completely covered with the iced water. (I put a plate on top with a weight if necessary), cover and leave it for between 14 and 24 hours.

Rinse it, dry it, and go from there with whatever you normally do.

I can only say that my experience using this method has been great.

I also do it with extra lean pork loin, and also pork chops. Less brining time needed though. Works great.

~BBQ
Zone 5b
South/Central Ontario

~ Author Unknown
B_BQ

Postby Marsher » Dec 18, 2012 10:02 pm

Like BBQ I aways brine my turkeys. I am sure you will be pleased with the outcome.

After a couple of tries get creative .... add whatever you like to the brine.... Maple syrup instead sugar is a great addition...

chili pepper is also good...
Located Brantford Ontario Zone 5 B
Marsher

Postby Heidi S » Dec 18, 2012 11:39 pm

My 2 cents worth - I tried brining one year - didn't see much difference. I use regular frozen turkeys, and roast in a convection oven, which works very well. I stopped stuffing the turkey a few years ago and just make the dressing in a casserole. I get a lot of compliments on how moist my birds are, and have encountered lots of dry birds at other meals, so I know I am doing something right.

It's really not that difficult - I have never had any problems, and we always make our own bird if we are having the holiday meal at someone else's place!
Heidi S,
Prince George, BC
Zone 3!

Master Gardener in Training....
Heidi S

Postby orchidguy » Dec 19, 2012 12:06 pm

Marsher wrote:After a couple of tries get creative .... add whatever you like to the brine.... Maple syrup instead sugar is a great addition...

The maple syrup does make a difference.
I usually add dried cranberries and orange zest in the liquid for a bit of zing

I have had a butterball once....never again. The texture of the breast is like marshmallow and there is a unnatural "greasiness" to the meat, which does not please my palate in the least.

I belong to a co-op, and receive a years worth of meat, in exchange for 10 acres of hay, and all is grown organically, and it really makes a difference in the taste of the meat. If I didn't have this, my next choice would be a plain old utility turkey.

I have cooked turkey both at home and in restaurants, and have never had a dryness to it's meat.
I prepare the turkey the night before, and is usually in the oven by 11:00 pm, at 175 degrees. An hour before taking out the turkey from the oven, the next day, the lid/covering is taken off the bird, to let it finish browning. Once the bird is taken out, I cover with aluminum foil, and heavy towels/blanket, and is let sit for an hour or two before serving.
Everyone has their own method that they swear by, so whatever works for you, do it.

Just as a side-note.....I once asked the chef at school what the difference was between stuffing and dressing. He said, while in the bird, it is referred to stuffing, but when placed on the table, it is now to be referred to as dressing
orchidguy

Postby bluewillow » Dec 19, 2012 12:21 pm

I too purchased Butterball once and was not impressed. Belive that Maple Leaf is/was the only bird injected with butter. Butterball - oils.

Interesting comments on turkey preps.
If dandelions were hard to grow, they would be most welcome on any lawn. ~Andrew Mason
bluewillow

Postby B_BQ » Dec 19, 2012 1:57 pm

orchidguy wrote:.I once asked the chef at school what the difference was between stuffing and dressing. He said, while in the bird, it is referred to stuffing, but when placed on the table, it is now to be referred to as dressing

Not for me! Stuffing is what goes into the bird and is still stuffing when it is out of the bird!! :lol:

Dressing is what I make to put on a salad!

Not that what we call it really matters, just so long as it tastes good!

I have plenty of fresh sage still growing so will be using that when I make the stuffing!

~BBQ
Zone 5b
South/Central Ontario

~ Author Unknown
B_BQ

Next

Return to Over the Garden Fence