Over the Garden Fence - Gardening Forums

How to celebrae Christmas when you are

Pull up a chair and grab a cup of Java for a cozy chat about what's on your mind and what's happening in your neck of the woods. This is a strictly for fun non-gardening topics.

How to celebrae Christmas when you are

Postby Lizcordysmum » Dec 19, 2012 8:58 pm

a Muslim, living in Great Britain.

This is a very nice read...on the U.K. Guardian newspaper.

I hope you'll enjoy it as much as I do.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree ... y-top-pops
Cordy's Mum, Liz
Rain Coast, BC Zone 7b/8a

Nae words, nae quarrel
Lizcordysmum

Re: How to celebrae Christmas when you are

Postby Lulu » Dec 19, 2012 10:54 pm

Great article, Liz,,thanks for posting.
Lulu

Postby Lizcordysmum » Dec 20, 2012 1:26 pm

Good Morning, Lulu! I'm glad you enjoyed it...made me feel warm and fuzzy!

Happy AND Merry Christmas to you!
Cordy's Mum, Liz

Nae words, nae quarrel
Lizcordysmum

Postby Lulu » Dec 20, 2012 1:42 pm

Same to you, Ms. Liz!

Running late, but,,almost ready here,,just decorated the tree & put the giant wreath outside, yesterday! Meat pies have been made for a few weeks. Presents are mostly wrapped and/or delivered.

Just have to clean my office now! I keep my Christmas decorations in the closet in here, so, I created lots of mess, digging thru the boxes. I have a ton of St. Nicholas figures, but went thru them, and only took out the animated ones that my almost 3 year old grand daughter will get a kick out of. Making a lasagna for the freezer for company later today.

Helps when hubby brings home tons of baking from his customers! Got a tray of fancy Greek pastry, a big container of baklava, a tray of regular Christmas cookies, and a huge gift pack from Starbucks, including coffees, chocolates, and biscotti! Biscotti is the only sweet that I like, and it has to have NO chocolate on it! Yum!
Lulu

Postby Lizcordysmum » Dec 20, 2012 2:47 pm

and once again, you are on top of it all! Kudoes to you!

It is strange how we pack away everything, but make/have so much mess to clean up after we get the decorating done, isn't it?

I love the idea of fresh baking, shared, exchanged...at Christmas time. (I am cherishing some rather interesting-looking gingerbread men, some decorated by 8 yr old grandson. I feel very close to him at the moment.)

I'm thinking that George and Gracie are wondering what's going on, and have very happy tails!
Cordy's Mum, Liz

Nae words, nae quarrel
Lizcordysmum

Postby Lulu » Dec 20, 2012 6:12 pm

G&G are a little curious about all the Christmas stuff and preparation, but so far so good. Was a little nervous leaving them yesterday to go feed my mom; wasn't sure what they'd do with all the St. Nicks, @ eye level,,but, it was all good.

They are still going to the dog park every single day, including in a blizzard today, and that is making them a whole lot more content, and less cantankerous! Although, I swear they want to socialize more with the folks than the dogs lately! It's taken me two years to stop them from jumping on people, now they're doing it @ the dogpark! Especially George, and he's huge now! Everybody seems to like them and pet them a lot, so, they've somehow got the message that it's all of a sudden ok to jump on folks who show them some affection. Where's Caesar when you need him???
Lulu

Postby Lizcordysmum » Dec 20, 2012 7:15 pm

I have to switch Casaer off if Lily is watching...she is particularly interested in the very worst behaved dogs. Don't need any moe bad habits!

They used to teach us to knee the big dogs in the chest, for jumping on us...if you could surprise them and knock them off their feet, the instructor said "WELL Done."

I must confess I would still do this, as a large dog would knock me down now...

Another way...you may prefer this! have the dog on a leash, held tightly in your hand, but with your foot firmly on the leash itself, so that the dog cannot leap up.

The first method takes once or twice. The second may go on for a few years...

I bet that Georgie and Gracie are really loved, at the doggie park...they are truly loving puppies (still!)
Cordy's Mum, Liz

Nae words, nae quarrel
Lizcordysmum

Postby Lulu » Dec 20, 2012 10:34 pm

Yes, Liz,,everyone seems to really like them; they call them the Walmart greeters!
Lulu

Postby Lizcordysmum » Dec 21, 2012 2:04 pm

LOVE it!
Cordy's Mum, Liz

Nae words, nae quarrel
Lizcordysmum

Postby LeeInEdmonton » Dec 23, 2012 11:40 pm

Hey Lulu: Hope that batch of Greek pastry included some Greek shortbread cookies. They are made with salt free butter & stick to the roof of your mouth but mmmmmm good.

Lee
LeeInEdmonton

Next

Return to Over the Garden Fence