Over the Garden Fence - Gardening Forums

Drive complications

Pull up a chair and grab a cup of Java for a cozy chat about what's on your mind and what's happening in your neck of the woods. This is a strictly for fun non-gardening topics.

Drive complications

Postby Heidi S » Dec 20, 2012 1:35 pm

We are heading to the Coast on Saturday, normally a 9+ hour drive, not including bio stops (food/biffy) down through the Cariboo on Hwy 97 to Cache Creek and then down Hwy 1 through the Fraser Canyon - picturesque and challenging, especially in poor weather.

Today's morning news announced that Hwy 1 is currently closed from Lytton to Boston Bar for high avalanche risk in the Canyon. Oh Goody - the alternative route is to branch off at Cache Creek to Merritt and get onto the Coquihalla (Hwy 5) a well known dangerous road in bad weather. This route is almost 10.5 hrs without stops, and crosses one of the highest mountain passes in BC getting snowfall 12 months of the year. And there are few if places to stop that are not remote and unpopulated, if problems occur.

So, please cross your fingers they are able to clear the avalanche threats on Hwy 1 before Saturday, because I hate the Coquihalla route, even in the summer. Weather forecast for this weekend -20 C and windy - We will be taking food and emergency supplies, not because we have ever had a crisis on this drive other than spinning out on black ice on one trip, but you can never tell what is going to happen. We have studded snow tires on all four wheels, car was just tuned up, and we will make sure we have a full tank of gas at Cache Creek before hitting the mountain passes.

Oh for a Christmas at home one of these days!
Heidi S,
Prince George, BC
Zone 3!

Master Gardener in Training....
Heidi S

Re: Drive complications

Postby Laura » Dec 20, 2012 2:14 pm

Sounds like you are as prepared as you can be.Hope the weather and conditions favor you.

I will keep you and yours in my thoughts and prayers ... wishing you great travelling and a safe return.
Laura

Postby Lizcordysmum » Dec 20, 2012 3:16 pm

and I loathe the Canyon route and flatly refuse to ever take it...I prefer the Coke. Always truckers with warm cabs, if it becomes necessary!

Remember candles, a lighter...blankets, extra mitts/gloves. And chocolate!

Oh, and an umbrella for when you get here. With luck, you'll need it.

And I wish you the VERY best of luck...both ways.
Cordy's Mum, Liz
Rain Coast, BC Zone 7b/8a

Nae words, nae quarrel
Lizcordysmum

Postby Northpine » Dec 21, 2012 2:19 pm

I hope you have a safe trip, Heidi, though I don't envy you the drive under those conditions. Living where I do, I understand how these long drives complicate one's life. I'm already stressed about my DD driving home tomorrow from Wpg; only about a 6 hour drive, so comparatively much easier than yours. Road conditions should be okay, but it is a remote area and you never know.
Marie
Zone 1b, Northern MB
One of the most delightful things about a garden is the anticipation it provides. ~W.E. Johns, The Passing Show
Northpine

Postby CdnChelsea » Dec 21, 2012 7:23 pm

Have a safe trip, Heidi. You are very brave, much braver than me to travel such a long distance in winter time. I really dislike winter driving.

"Those who dwell among the beauties and mysteries of the earth
are never alone or weary of life" ~ Rachel Carson
CdnChelsea

Postby Heidi S » Dec 23, 2012 10:51 pm

We made it just fine - saw one overturned vehicle, but nothing too serious. We had snow from Williams Lake to Yale, but no white outs and the road crews were out and plowing. I got 3 good sized rock pings on my windshield though. We made good time with only a slightly longer trip than summer time, so all good.

Today we went to Vancouver airport to pick up Dad's love, Betty, coming up from Portland Or, tomorrow we head out there again to get our son who is working until 10:30 pm tonight at Walmart ('crazy place' he texted).

Meanwhile I am cooking a pot roast in the slow cooker for tomorrow's Family dinner with Dad, Betty, brother, his bride, and the 3 of us. Then I made a pot of orange/ginger-scented carrot soup for mom-in-law as she doesn't eat solids anymore. She is on her 2nd cup already, so must be ok.

Hope everyone is having a good last weekend before Christmas! Cheers!
Heidi S,
Prince George, BC
Zone 3!

Master Gardener in Training....
Heidi S

Postby CdnChelsea » Dec 23, 2012 11:58 pm

So happy to see you made it safe and sound ! Whew!

Enjoy your visit with your family!

Merry Christmas, Heidi : )

"Those who dwell among the beauties and mysteries of the earth
are never alone or weary of life" ~ Rachel Carson
CdnChelsea

Postby Laura » Dec 24, 2012 1:38 am

Thanks so much for taking a minute to let us know you arrived safely.

Have a Merry Christmas !!
Laura

Postby Big Smile » Dec 24, 2012 11:28 am

Heidi,
SO glad you made the drive safe and sound. I was praying for you !! We traveled across the rockies in summer of 2009 and again in northern BC coming back from Alaska and Yukon in 2011. I dislike mountain driving and would not do it in winter. I checked the map to see your route.

MERRY CHRISTMAS TO YOU AND ALL YOUR FAMILY AND ALL THE BEST IN 2013 !!

Clara
Big Smile

Postby Lizcordysmum » Dec 24, 2012 7:38 pm

Great news...and thanks for telling us all!

That ginger-scented carrot soup must be delicious...and you are a lovely thoughtful person!

Merry Christmas to all.
Cordy's Mum, Liz
Rain Coast, BC Zone 7b/8a

Nae words, nae quarrel
Lizcordysmum

Return to Over the Garden Fence