Over the Garden Fence - Gardening Forums

Mr.Pheasant Returns ....

Pull up a chair and grab a cup of Java for a cozy chat about what's on your mind and what's happening in your neck of the woods. This is a strictly for fun non-gardening topics.

Re: Mr.Pheasant Returns ....

Postby Eeyore » Jan 08, 2013 11:18 am

We have 2 HBC and the birds don't bother with them. Weird! They love the saskatoon though. We rarely get any of the berries. I'm not a big fan of them anyway but hubby loves them.

After looking into the bittersweet a bit more I am going to pass on the cuttings. Seems they can be quite invasive and 2 are needed to produce berries. At the moment I use the sapace by the garage for garlic and onions and other veggies I can squeeze in there.
Lyn
AB, Zone 3A
----------------------------------
“Those who say it can't be done are usually interrupted by others doing it.” ` James Arthur Baldwin"
Eeyore

Postby Laura » Jan 08, 2013 12:40 pm

Eeyore wrote:We have 2 HBC and the birds don't bother with them. Weird! They love the saskatoon though. We rarely get any of the berries. I'm not a big fan of them anyway but hubby loves them.

After looking into the bittersweet a bit more I am going to pass on the cuttings. Seems they can be quite invasive and 2 are needed to produce berries. At the moment I use the sapace by the garage for garlic and onions and other veggies I can squeeze in there.

Funny,I heard HBC are bird magnets.Haven't heard much about saskatoon here.

Yes,I did read that bittersweet is invasive but the part about having to have two did not apply here,I have just the one.I will enjoy it until the new garage gets built then I will have to remove all the gardening things on it because we are expanding it ....

..... note to self .... start a new veggie patch this spring ....
Laura

Postby agedgardener2 » Jan 08, 2013 3:17 pm

Laura High Bush Cranberry is easy to get from the wild.I have a bush that was given to me by my former neighbor when I moved to this house in 1966.I've allowed it to get awfully big but plan on cutting it way back in the spring.I love the jelly with any bird...cooked that is! The birds like them too but later in the winter.We moved away from this house for many years then bought it back 20 years ago and I was so pleased to find my HBCranberry still here.Joy
agedgardener2

Postby Laura » Jan 08, 2013 3:47 pm

Thanks Joy ... I will keep that in mind,may be just the thing and I do like the fact it is a native plant.
Laura

Postby Heidi S » Jan 08, 2013 5:10 pm

What a pretty bird! I have never seen one in real life. I have seen partridges and grouse, but I don't think partridges live this far north in BC, anyway. Your first shots looked like a made ornament to me, such lovely colours!
Heidi S,
Prince George, BC
Zone 3!

Master Gardener in Training....
Heidi S

Postby Eeyore » Jan 08, 2013 7:26 pm

HBC are very easy to start from seed as well, I'm forever yanking out seedlings! I'll send some seed if you can't find it in the wild there.
Lyn
AB, Zone 3A
----------------------------------
“Those who say it can't be done are usually interrupted by others doing it.” ` James Arthur Baldwin"
Eeyore

Postby Laura » Jan 09, 2013 7:36 am

Eeyore wrote:HBC are very easy to start from seed as well, I'm forever yanking out seedlings! I'll send some seed if you can't find it in the wild there.

I am sure I can find some HBC here but if not I'll holler.
Laura

Postby Laura » Jan 09, 2013 4:20 pm

Heidi S wrote:What a pretty bird!

Not trying to brag but today he came back again .... and brought a friend !!

100_5063pb.jpg
Laura

Postby OGrubber » Jan 11, 2013 9:44 am

Laura wrote:
Not trying to brag but today he came back again .... and brought a friend !!

What a lovely couple, Laura.

Just as an aside; this forum seems to be crashing in on itself. Has anyone been able to contact admin?
Market Gardening - Just another day at the plant.
OGrubber

Previous

Return to Over the Garden Fence