Over the Garden Fence - Gardening Forums

It's raining again...

Pull up a chair and grab a cup of Java for a cozy chat about what's on your mind and what's happening in your neck of the woods. This is a strictly for fun non-gardening topics.

It's raining again...

Postby conniepr » Jun 01, 2013 7:43 pm

Raining and pouring and thunder and lightning. BUT... the good news is I did get a lot done in the yard today before the rain started. I transplanted many of my perennials that survived their first winter in spite of the fact that I just threw them in the ground last fall not expecting them to. Now that I know they can survive our winters, I have moved them to better places where they will show up better. I also extended the bark mulch area under a tree that grows bigger every year. I added new bark mulch to a number of areas (after weeding first) and cleaned up those areas. I added composted manure to many of the plants that I am happy about and encouraging to grow. So, over all, I've been a busy girl! But it's going to rain all day tomorrow again... :(
conniepr

Re: It's raining again...

Postby conniepr » Jun 01, 2013 8:29 pm

Oh, and I also FINALLY planted my four hanging baskets. But I'm not happy with them yet so I didn't take pictures.
In the rain 004b.jpg
Where I extended the area of bark mulch. There are helleborous under this hawthorne bush and columbine. Oh, and that's maltese cross to the far right that will flower red in July some time.
In the rain 004b.jpg (95.73 KiB) Viewed 14683 times
In the rain 006b.jpg
My new freckled violets that I thought wouldn't survive the winter, but did! I moved them here beside the ligularias and the summerwine yarrow that has such an awesome red wine color when they bloom. The color of the violets are not showing up. Probably because I forgot to turn the flash off. And it's raining of course, while I'm taking this picture!
In the rain 006b.jpg (104.02 KiB) Viewed 14683 times
In the rain 008b.jpg
One of my treasured key lime heuchera's in front of the gerbenias that are so encouraging in the spring when everything else is still brown. Oh, and the poppies are just starting up and their colors seem so brilliant this year! They are gorgeous!
In the rain 008b.jpg (95.43 KiB) Viewed 14683 times

I think I'm crazy. I'm 53 years old and I've only been gardening for the past four years. Crazy time to get into such a strenuous hobby!
conniepr

Postby Knitwitch » Jun 15, 2013 8:34 am

I love your pictures! I am 45 and started gardening as a little kid but got obsessed about...oooh..20 plus years ago? Its strenuous whenever you start but thats why we have bigger stronger people in our lives to "do me a favour? Move that big....?" LOL I am generally a sore critter in the spring. I've gotten quite fat and out of shape over the years and that is NOT helpful. :roll: My gardening projects and expansions usually hinge upon money and when my energy finally gives out after the first fever of spring.
We've been getting a large amount of rain over the last couple of weeks. Great for the newly planted stuffs but kind of crappy for the seeds I put in. May need to replace them because they might have started rotting instead of sprouting.
Alison, in zone 5b Nova Scotia
Knitwitch

Postby conniepr » Jun 15, 2013 9:11 am

Yah, I'm out of shape and have never been very strong. I find some of the work very difficult, but... when something needs done, you gotta do it. I can sometimes talk my husband into helping me. Usually only for a few minutes though. He's allergic to anything that even slightly resembles hard work! :P

We've been getting a lot of rain here too. I'm glad I managed to get most of what I wanted to do done. I do have three evergreens I bought a couple weeks ago, though and they are not in the ground yet. Was supposed to get done today, but we're headed to Red Deer and will be visiting a beautiful greenhouse, Parkland Nursery I think it's called. Will likely be coming home with something new, maybe a weeping crab apple tree. :)
conniepr

Postby Knitwitch » Jun 15, 2013 3:21 pm

Oh I have a cousin in Red Deer. Small world isn't it? I was so excited for sunshine earlier that I planted out my tomatoes! Also, my purple pole beans have sprouted!! Yay. and now its pouring with thunder. Good ol' Canadian weather. :roll:
Knitwitch

Postby lilybulb » Jun 15, 2013 6:24 pm

We have been getting our share of rain here in Ontario.Get the grass all cut and neat looking and then the rains come and then I have to wait for it to dry out,just to have to cut again.I haven't had to get the hose out too much though.I remember last year I had to water every day.
lilybulb

Postby conniepr » Jun 15, 2013 9:53 pm

Well, I came home from Red Deer with quite a few new plants. 3 more ferns for the shade garden, a black Cimicifuga (found out it's common name is bugbane, a stunning plant for the shade garden!), the taller day lillies, and lots of Victoria Blue Salvia (even my husband loves this one, such a beautiful blue! They performed so well for me two summers ago!) And all at a steal of a price at Costco! (Sales, yeah!) Oh, except the Cimicifuga, that one was an "ouch" at the Parkland Garden Centre. No one else has them, though. Bought some trailing stuff for the planters and hubby bought some herbs (he's a chef). 2 hr drive there, 2 hr drive back. Went for a screen door at Home Depot and ran into sales there too! Cold day, but a good day. :)
conniepr

Postby Knitwitch » Jun 16, 2013 3:21 pm

Awesome haul! Lilybulb, last years hot dry spring and summer was hard on a lot of folks here too. Wells going dry etc. Unusual here on the East Coast but oh it was GLORIOUS for beach going. i try not to whine about the rain toooo much because the water sources do have to be replenished, and yet.....
I bought NO plants this weekend..or soil. But this coming Thursday is pay day and bags of compost and some plants will be bought. I wanted to start a shade garden out back under our ash and maples but I think it shall have to wait until I can cultivate some raised beds back there. The tree roots are such I can't plant directly into the soil, such as it is. I like the looks of your shade plant Cimi- (all hail mighty Google!). Delicate .
Knitwitch

Postby weathervanes » Jul 12, 2013 9:55 pm

Brilliant colors of the plants. They look so fresh and vibrant with all the rain drops. You did a splendid job! I wish i could say the same in my own backyard but all that is alive and well is my copper rain chains. It makes such a relaxing sound that i forget everything.
weathervanes

Postby conniepr » Jul 13, 2013 10:04 pm

Thanks! Everything does seem to be doing really well right now.
conniepr

Next

Return to Over the Garden Fence