Over the Garden Fence - Gardening Forums

Neighbors Nightmare

Pull up a chair and grab a cup of Java for a cozy chat about what's on your mind and what's happening in your neck of the woods. This is a strictly for fun non-gardening topics.

Neighbors Nightmare

Postby JosieO » Apr 23, 2014 2:55 pm

We purchased our very lovely home "site unseen" and Google showed a lovely forested lot. To our regret when we finally visited the home we found many new subdivisions built. My husband and I were standing in our kitchen when we noticed a couple digging in the yard of our property. My husband asked if he should go and find out what was going on. :o

He found our neighbors that lived below us (we live on a mountain) planting on our slope that borders their yard. They mentioned that the previous owners allowed them to do "whatever" they wanted. We explained that we were new to this house and would have to first see how things go before we could continue that open understanding. We were nice about it, but asked them not to dig on our property. The wife started becoming outraged noting the law etc. :twisted:

Shortly after this conversation, we got a visit from the ASPCA Canada that our dogs were barking. Yes they barked but every house around us have barking dogs and our dogs weren't barking much. The officer also noted that our dogs were not barking when she observed the property. A few weeks later, some very tall weeds started growing where the neighbors had been digging. They grew very large very fast, and were thorny and had thistles... My husband dug them up and was very cut up. He couldn't pull up all the roots as they were at least 4 inches thick in large moundings and we're afraid we may be stuck with some unknown weed. These neighbors have since put their house for sale. We should be super happy but it is hell. They also removed the property line markers that were placed by the surveyor for our property. :roll:

Anyone have suggestions on how to handle such issues? Do you think we were out of line to approach them? Their house has been on sale for at least 6 months. If they don't sell fast, we will have another summer with these people. :( :?
JosieO

Re: Neighbors Nightmare

Postby soccermomof3 » Apr 24, 2014 7:56 am

Of course you weren't out of line. How rude and inconsiderate of these people to assume they can continue the understanding they had with the old owners. I'm sorry you have to put up with this. We had a similar thing happen here. We live on a pond and a neighbour teen was allowed to cut through our yard by the old owners to go fishing. He has scared the crap out of me a couple of times when I've been out gardening. I don't mind terribly,but the polite thing would have been for him to ask if he could continue with this practice.
soccermomof3

Re: Neighbors Nightmare

Postby OGrubber » Apr 24, 2014 9:38 am

It's both enraging and frustrating when you have neighbours who think they are above everyone else's rights. I feel for you and hope they sell soon, for your sake.
... I just hope they don't relocate next door to me. :o
Market Gardening - Just another day at the plant.
OGrubber

Return to Over the Garden Fence