Garden Seed Exchange - Gardening Forums

Planting Echinacea (Cone flower) Seeds

Forget the seed catalogues. Trading seeds is a great way to expand your garden with new plants, flowers, fruits, vegetables, shrubs, and trees.

Planting Echinacea (Cone flower) Seeds

Postby old_Lavender » Aug 04, 2008 11:29 am

Hi - I would appreciate some advice about cone flower seeds.
I just purchased 50 mixed cone flower seeds from e-bay. Supposedly they are a mixture of many type of coneflower including green envy, razzmatazz, jade etc. I have read many articles on growing plants from seeds - some say the new cone flowers are very difficult to grow from seeds. I would like
to know should I grow them inside over the winter? Plant them outside right now? Any advice would be appreciate. It would
be such a shame if none of these seeds survived because of something I did wrong. Thanks so much. hugs Cathy
old_Lavender

Re: Planting Echinacea (Cone flower) Seeds

Postby cyd170 » Aug 14, 2008 9:48 pm

Hi Cathy...when I planted cone flowers, I planted the seeds out in the spring and they were fine. You might not get flowers the first year, but the 2nd year you will. I've never planted seeds in the fall, so not sure how they would do. Maybe you could try half & half? Have fun! Cyndi
Cyndi
Zone 2b or 3a in a good year!
cyd170

Postby Lindamct » Aug 17, 2008 3:28 pm

Hi Cathy! Coneflower Seeds are very tough when it comes to sowing. Spring or Fall, in the house, or whatever. They are very hardy Perennials. Mine self seed year after year. I am always giving them away! :-)
Lindamct

Postby lavender13 » Aug 27, 2008 3:40 pm

Hi cyd170 and lindarct - thanks so much for your replies. I am still
so undecided as to when to plant these seeds. I suppose if I hadn't spent money on them, I would not be so worried. We have many squirrels in the area and a few rabbits. They seem to love the small cone flower plants. Whatever I decide, if I am fortunate enough to grow these flowers, I will have to protect them until they reach maturity.
hugs Cathy
lavender13

Return to Garden Seed Exchange