Garden Seed Exchange - Gardening Forums

Looking for non-purple coneflowers for fall seeding

Forget the seed catalogues. Trading seeds is a great way to expand your garden with new plants, flowers, fruits, vegetables, shrubs, and trees.

Looking for non-purple coneflowers for fall seeding

Postby Elena Zimmerman » May 23, 2012 9:42 am

Hi good folks! I am encouraged this spring by coneflowers coming into their 2nd year for me from seed, so I was wondering if anyone saw orange and/or red coneflowers on sale, or will be collecting seeds for exchange?
Thank you in advance!
Gardening in Calgary, AB, Zone 3, Chinook conditions
Elena Zimmerman

Re: Looking for non-purple coneflowers for fall seeding

Postby Mostly Weeds » May 23, 2012 1:40 pm

Love me some Coneflowers!!! I don't have any of the funky newer varieties, only various purples and whites. How many of them besides these super common purple and white ones are actually OP? I had always thought flashy orange and purple ones were not true to type seed. If they are then add me to this list! =)
“The average person is still under the aberrant delusion that food should be somebody else's responsibility until I'm ready to eat it.” - Joel Salatin

Veggies & Perennials 6A
Mostly Weeds

Postby Elena Zimmerman » May 23, 2012 2:03 pm

Oh, shoot, you are probably right. I found this page though, some of them are not as fancy as the reds and oranges, but whites and pinks. Hmm, I will keep looking....

http://www.swallowtailgardenseeds.com/p ... nacea.html

okay, this will probably worth trying as well:

http://www.thompsonmorgan.ca/product/Ec ... acea_Seeds
Elena Zimmerman

Postby Mostly Weeds » May 24, 2012 4:54 pm

Oooh, those are some beautiful colours you've linked for sure. I wonder if the 30 seeds in T&Ms packet would truly give you a mix like the picture hehe, but it's worth a try! I've never saved seed from any of the fancy ones, but maybe I should see what I can collect. I love a good surprise and something tells me you're bound to end up with something funky.

I especially love the all-green varieties, especially the one which has no petals really called Green Wizard? It's so unique looking. I guess I might need to hit a nursery this weekend but I've been so good at resisting urges this spring so far lol.
“The average person is still under the aberrant delusion that food should be somebody else's responsibility until I'm ready to eat it.” - Joel Salatin

Veggies & Perennials 6A
Mostly Weeds

Postby Elena Zimmerman » May 25, 2012 8:14 am

Whoops, sorry to be a bad influence! I can never resist trying new plants. I hope you will find a beautiful green one. I am probably going to wait till July-August to canvass the sales and get the seed mix as well. Dunno what will come up, but the worst thing, I will end up with more purple coneflowers, heh.
Elena Zimmerman

Postby Mostly Weeds » May 28, 2012 12:42 pm

Well I stopped into the seed store this morning and a packet of Aimer's Paradiso Mix Echinacea jumped into my basket. I told it to get out, I wasn't interested, but it insisted. The packet says 10 seeds but there are 17 inside which is nice I guess. Then I caved and also threw in a packet of White Swan coneflowers too, sigh.

Since they are so limited and special do you have any tips for increasing my germination success? I have only ever started the odd purple common ones from seeds and they're so plentiful that I just stick in mix and let em go. I'm sure I get lousy rates this way but when you get 100 in each packet who cares.

I will probably want to scarify these right? Do I snip off a tiny bit of the tip of each seed before planting? Or run them along some fine sandpaper? Any advice would be awesome. If I can manage to not kill them all I will be sure to update with all kinds of beautiful colours =)

Cheers,
Adam

Veggies & Perennials 6A
Mostly Weeds

Postby Elena Zimmerman » May 28, 2012 1:00 pm

Adam, those seeds can be real jumpy! I checked the seeds out too this weekend, but only saw the purple ones :)

I seeded my purples in the fall, in the 3rd week of September directly in the garden, without any pre-treatment, watering once at seeding time and 1 week after. I generally get better success rates with direct seeding in the fall than with in door starts on my perennials. Spring seeds I do soak.
Elena Zimmerman

Postby sofiazoe » Jan 27, 2014 7:40 am

especially love the all-green varieties, especially the one which has no petals really called Green Wizard? It's so unique looking. I guess I might need to hit a nurser....................... :) :) :)
You can easily increase your proficiency level in your HOBET admission test with the help of 646-206 dumps this main site visit CCNA Dumps is a Beautiful this page ECCouncil and more visit this page Youtube and more detail this work Infosys,Best Wishes.
sofiazoe

Postby socialbutterfly » Jan 30, 2014 10:14 am

I found some at Lowes last year and hoping to buy a plant this year. I also have the pink/purple one. :)
socialbutterfly

Postby tricone » Jul 31, 2014 12:32 pm

I planted a new coneflower bed with reds and yellows this year. They were pretty common in garden centres round my way.

The reds are beautiful, the yellows are a bit pointless since Black Eyed Susans already fill that niche in my garden!
tricone

Return to Garden Seed Exchange