Container Gardening - Gardening Forums

Autumn Joy Sedum in pots

For inspiration and advice about gardening in pots and planters, gardening indoors and outdoors, from balconies to terraces, and everything in between.

Autumn Joy Sedum in pots

Postby haili » Mar 29, 2013 4:14 pm

My Autumn Joy sedum gets heavy and flops in the flower bed and I'm thinking of digging them up and putting them in clay pots with some trailing sedum hanging down. That way I could let them dry out and maybe they would stay shorter. Has anyone tried this?
haili

Re: Autumn Joy Sedum in pots

Postby CG admin » Apr 11, 2013 11:55 am

I haven't tried this, but some of my sedums in my previous garden - and my chrysanthemums - would flop, too. Recently I spoke to Paul Zammit (the director of horticulture at the Toronto Botanical Garden) for an article I was writing and he said:

Know when the plants flower and don’t be scared to prune or cut them back. He recommends staggering plants’ bloom times by trimming back a clump every ten days in spring. This works well with late-summer bloomers like rudbeckia, chrysanthemums, sedum and monarda.

I would experiment with one in a clay pot and see how it works for you this season!
CG admin
Site Admin

Postby haili » Apr 15, 2013 6:31 pm

Thanks Tara. I might try that and would cut them back hard in June.
haili

Postby CG admin » Apr 16, 2013 10:52 am

Let me know how it goes at the end of the season! :D
CG admin
Site Admin

Postby aiza » Aug 30, 2013 1:27 am

In my experience, winter is as hard on the container as the contents. Therefore choose both carefully but putting under your deck and covering with leaves should be OK for both.
pass4sure 220-702 pass4sure 220-702
Testking 640-802 braindumps Testking 640-802 braindumps
Testking 70-640 braindumps Testking 70-640 braindumps
aiza

Postby haili » Oct 19, 2013 6:49 pm

I didn't put it in a pot but did pinch it back hard in late May. They are still flopping but stayed upright most of the summer and early fall. Next year I may get rid of one or pot one up. The pot might be OK in the garage over the winter but if not I have plenty more that can be divided.
haili

Return to Container Gardening