Container Gardening - Gardening Forums

bird's nest in wall sconce

For inspiration and advice about gardening in pots and planters, gardening indoors and outdoors, from balconies to terraces, and everything in between.

Postby Eeyore » May 02, 2008 12:54 pm

She will haili, not to worry.

We have crows in the park across from us, Their morning song is a joy to wake up to. :roll: :roll:
Lyn
AB, Zone 3A
----------------------------------
“Those who say it can't be done are usually interrupted by others doing it.” ` James Arthur Baldwin"
Eeyore

Postby haili » May 07, 2008 7:14 pm

I thought it was safe to hang it back up again - but there were 2 more robins lurking and jumping on - so I had to take it back down!
haili

Postby Eeyore » May 07, 2008 9:24 pm

Pesistent buggers aren't they? :lol: It must be a really attractive wall sconce!
Lyn
AB, Zone 3A
----------------------------------
“Those who say it can't be done are usually interrupted by others doing it.” ` James Arthur Baldwin"
Eeyore

Postby haili » May 08, 2008 6:51 am

LOL. Robins are nesting on 2 different hydro meters here - so I don't think they care about esthetics. My ivy is surviving after laying on the ground where the birds can't see it.
haili

Postby Meggylou » May 08, 2008 10:56 am

Robins also nest twice in one season, though luckily they use the same nest twice...usually.
This sconce might have to stay done for a while yet.
Stubborn little birdies they are.
Meggylou

Re: bird's nest in wall sconce

Postby Justanotherider » Mar 04, 2014 8:35 pm

As I understand them, robins like to nest in places that offer a good view of an open area around their nests - on a wall, or in a shrub against a wall, facing an open yard. They are not cavity dwellers; but will use a nesting ledge, (like the top of an electrical meter), so putting up bird houses won't work; but a nesting ledge with a roof over it on a wall exposed to an open yard might attract them away from your deck furniture.
Just when you learn how to garden really well, you're too old to do it anymore...
Justanotherider

Re: bird's nest in wall sconce

Postby haili » Apr 23, 2014 7:34 pm

Last year I put ornaments and upright twigs in the sconce and it did the trick. When the plants filled in the robins had gone elsewhere and I took the sticks and ornaments out. I put an ornament on top of the hydro meter and that worked too.
haili

Previous

Return to Container Gardening