Container Gardening - Gardening Forums

bird's nest in wall sconce

For inspiration and advice about gardening in pots and planters, gardening indoors and outdoors, from balconies to terraces, and everything in between.

bird's nest in wall sconce

Postby haili » Apr 29, 2008 12:20 pm

I have a wall sconce type container hanging on the fence planted with ivy. I thought it was looking a bit sick and discovered a robin's nest! I took it down and hid it as I really don't think that's a good nesting place. The bird came back with more dried grass or something and looked puzzled, then flew away. I hope it finds a better, safer spot and I haven't ruined its life!

I'm wondering if that's one of the robins that hatched last year and the young ones fell out of the nest and into my yard - just learning to fly. Eventually, after a yard full of guano, I lifted it on a shovel over the fence. The mother was very distressed through all this so I don't want a repeat of the situation this year.
haili

Postby Eeyore » Apr 29, 2008 1:54 pm

As long as there were no eggs it will be fine, the robin will find another place to nest, but don't be surprised if it is nearby!
Personally, I would be delited to have a robin nest on my property!
Lyn
AB, Zone 3A
----------------------------------
“Those who say it can't be done are usually interrupted by others doing it.” ` James Arthur Baldwin"
Eeyore

Postby Meggylou » Apr 29, 2008 3:32 pm

ooh I love robins, had it been in a decent less disturbed location of the yard I would have left it. No worries though the Robin will find a new place.
We've always had robins nest on our property, as a child growing up it was a favourite pastime of mine to watch the babies, from a distance of course.
Meggylou

Postby haili » Apr 29, 2008 5:18 pm

I like robins too - but a bit farther away. My yard is very tiny and the mess they made last year was unbelievable for such tiny things - plus I don't like dealing with the babies falling out, etc. There are lots of trees around and one that almost covers the yard - which is where they nested last year but I get tired of cleaning the mess off the furniture, plants etc. every day. I do love to see them digging up the worms after the rain and watering.
haili

Postby Eeyore » May 01, 2008 12:12 am

I can understand that haili. They are beautiful and I would love to have one around, but like you say, a little further away!
Lyn
AB, Zone 3A
“Those who say it can't be done are usually interrupted by others doing it.” ` James Arthur Baldwin"
Eeyore

Postby LeeInEdmonton » May 01, 2008 10:14 pm

One year we had a barn swallow that decided that the top of our front entry light would be a good place to build her nest. Each evening I would step out of the front door & quietly talk to her. She would look at me & cock her head to one side(yeah I know, goofy bugger talking to a bird). She hatched her eggs,& did not take fright while feeding the young throughout the entire process. Kinda missed them when they were gone.

Lee
LeeInEdmonton

Postby Eeyore » May 01, 2008 11:26 pm

We haven't had mch success with birds nesting in our yard but there is always hope!
Lyn
AB, Zone 3A
Eeyore

Postby haili » May 02, 2008 12:09 pm

The robins don't seem to mind people being close; one made a nest on top of the neighbour's hydro meter. I didn't want them nesting in my yard when the cat went outside but don't think she'll be out this year as she is blind now. Anyway, I haven't seen the robin since I took down the planter and have kept it down to give her a chance to nest elsewhere and I hope she found another good sheltered spot.
haili

Next

Return to Container Gardening