Container Gardening - Gardening Forums

Put Some Seeds in Some Dirt Today - Vine Question

For inspiration and advice about gardening in pots and planters, gardening indoors and outdoors, from balconies to terraces, and everything in between.

Put Some Seeds in Some Dirt Today - Vine Question

Postby Elizabeth Ann » May 08, 2008 9:13 am

So I went out and got some Morning Glory seeds, some Moonflowers (Ipomoea Alba) seeds and some Scarlet Runner seeds and planted them in some long deep regtanglar planters to put at the bottom of the cris-cross thing in the below pictures to create some privacy.

So how crazy are these vines going to get?

Last year I only planted Morning Glorys and they really didn't fill out the way I wanted them too. Am I going to get full coverage this year (I planted A LOT of seeds)

(sorry, I am not sure how to add pictures here)
Elizabeth Ann

Postby kelly_m » May 08, 2008 9:19 am

Hi EA...You should get better coverage with both the vines...and the fact that you have planted alot.

I find MGs are great climbers but not the best in planters as vines.

Good luck...

K
Kelly
Zone 5a/b

OLD GARDENERS NEVER DIE. THEY JUST SPADE AWAY
kelly_m

Postby Eeyore » May 08, 2008 11:11 am

I found I had to use one of those super sized packages in my 1/2 barrel to get good coverage with the MG's. The runnerbeans I used 8 or 10 beans for a 1/2 barrel. They filled in much better. I've got pictures somewhere so I'll try to dig them up!
Lyn
AB, Zone 3A
----------------------------------
“Those who say it can't be done are usually interrupted by others doing it.” ` James Arthur Baldwin"
Eeyore

Postby evepet » May 09, 2008 9:21 am

Eeyore wrote:I found I had to use one of those super sized packages in my 1/2 barrel to get good coverage with the MG's. The runnerbeans I used 8 or 10 beans for a 1/2 barrel. They filled in much better. I've got pictures somewhere so I'll try to dig them up!

Eeyore's got a good picture of her scarlett runner bean here in the Container Gardening section... it's in a thread started by dj_backq and it's called 'Tomatoes in Pots'? On Monday May 5th Eeyore posted a picture of her tomatoes, but right beside them is a beautiful scarlett runner bean plant in a barrel. I remembered it because it impressed me so much I went and got some scarlett runner bean seeds to plant! LOL.
evepet

Postby Eeyore » May 09, 2008 11:06 am

Thanksevepet! I knew I had posted one recently.
Lyn
AB, Zone 3A
“Those who say it can't be done are usually interrupted by others doing it.” ` James Arthur Baldwin"
Eeyore

Postby evepet » May 09, 2008 11:16 am

Eeyore wrote:Thanksevepet! I knew I had posted one recently.

No problem. LOL.... as I said it impressed me so much I ran out and got some scarlett runner bean seeds. I don't know where in the world I'm going to find room for all this on my balcony! Now I'm going out to buy another big container. By the way, I'm using a 20" diameter pot/about 15' deep... I recall you said you used about 8 scarlett runner bean seeds in your barrel... can I put that amount of seeds in a container that size, and also get away with putting a dill and/or a pepper plant to the front of the scarlett runners??? And maybe a sweet pea ???
evepet

Postby Eeyore » May 09, 2008 12:06 pm

I'd go with about 6 beans, the dill and a few sweet peas. Let the peas hang rather than climb. That'll be awesome! And now you've given me an idea!
Lyn
AB, Zone 3A
Eeyore

Postby evepet » May 09, 2008 1:45 pm

Eeyore wrote:I'd go with about 6 beans, the dill and a few sweet peas. Let the peas hang rather than climb. That'll be awesome! And now you've given me an idea!

LOL. Always glad to inspire someone. Thx.
evepet

Return to Container Gardening