Container Gardening - Gardening Forums

Fabulous containers

For inspiration and advice about gardening in pots and planters, gardening indoors and outdoors, from balconies to terraces, and everything in between.

Fabulous containers

Postby Venice » May 18, 2008 3:21 pm

I want to make my containers show stoppers this year.

Usually they just end up with whatever's left over from the beds, and never look too exciting. This year I want to make them pop.

I have some fragrant Freesia's. Will these do good in a pot, I would think so. And I want to add some of my sweet peas, to hang down. Most of my pots will be full sun. With about 4 in shade in the front. I'm not worried about the front shade ones, they seem to turn out nicely.

I'm wondering if I should put the 'Wave Petunia' in one pot, or if I should put it in the yard, and see it's real potential hmmmm.....

could I put glads in pots??? or is that a waste hehehe. A lot will depend on how much room I end up having for everything. and bloom times. Ohh my I'm so confused ehehhe.

and I'm most excited about my 'mini landscape' I have some small stones and tiles from my vase that I want to use as a hardscape. I'm thinking and upright Fushia will make a nice flowering 'tree', and there's some moss growing in the front I'll pop some of that in there as grass, and I bought a bloodgood sedum, and I have some bright green ones too. I might add a colus in the back like a lil forest. The hardest part will be keeping it from overgrowing the seating area hahaha.

Ok I'll stop rambling..

Ven
Last edited by Venice on May 18, 2008 3:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Venice

Hi Venice...

Postby evepet » May 18, 2008 3:26 pm

You've been gardening for a while, so this may all be stuff you already know...? but I found it helpful in thinking about 'planning' containers:

http://www.demesne.info/Garden-Help/Window-Boxes.htm
evepet

Postby Stonetown Gardner » May 22, 2008 7:41 am

Someone gave me a great tip about putting Lamium in your planters... I'm going to give that a try this year and see what happens.
Stonetown Gardner

Postby isabelbrinck » May 22, 2008 7:54 pm

Thanks for sharing the great link, Evepet.
Isabel
Montreal, QC
Hardiness Zone 5a
isabelbrinck

Postby evepet » May 22, 2008 8:43 pm

isabelbrinck wrote:Thanks for sharing the great link, Evepet.

No problem. I found it useful, getting some idea of the types of plants, foliage, textures, etc., that might combine well together in a container. Glad you enjoyed it. :D
evepet

Postby Venice » May 22, 2008 9:37 pm

I bought a new pot today for the front yay.

Great tips everyone. I know I want some coleus in mine, they did so well in the front last year. This new pot will be in full shade on my front porch.

I'm planting up my toms, and greenhouse stuff tomorrow and this weekend. Not sure when I'll do my planters.... I'm so excited!!!

Ven
Venice

Postby bluewillow » Jun 01, 2008 6:05 pm

I'm finding the container plants very costly. Each small annual is $2.81 (includes tax) ... and these plants add up in $'s. Think I'll check out the annuals as these were selling for the same price.

Is Lamium a perennial and sun loving?

bw
If dandelions were hard to grow, they would be most welcome on any lawn. ~Andrew Mason
bluewillow

Postby evepet » Jun 01, 2008 6:36 pm

Lamium is a perennial. It is supposed to be ok from full sun to partial shade. I bought mine at CT about a week ago... I think they were $2.49 each.
evepet

Postby TrailBlaze » Jun 04, 2008 9:14 am

No, don't stop rambling, Ven...I enjoy your posts, feel like I'm right there with you as you ponder your next gardening move.
Diane zone 5a
TrailBlaze

Return to Container Gardening