Container Gardening - Gardening Forums

Lobelia and Osteospermum woes.

For inspiration and advice about gardening in pots and planters, gardening indoors and outdoors, from balconies to terraces, and everything in between.

Lobelia and Osteospermum woes.

Postby Jade » May 25, 2008 11:33 am

I love the rich blue of lobelia in containers, but it always seems to fade out halfway through the growing season. Any suggestions? Ditto on the love of Osteospermum, which I have lots pf fun pairing with petunias to bring out the colour of the "eyes" but they close on cloudy days. How about it you experts out there!
Jade

Postby Sheikea » May 26, 2008 2:08 pm

I find the more i pinch back the more flowers i get especially with the Osteo's not so sure on the lobellia though
Sheikea

Postby Eeyore » May 26, 2008 4:46 pm

Lobelia should be sheared back partway through the season if it gets ratty. It does like to be kept moist too. Same with the Osteos. I gave up on Osteos because they would never rebloom for me. If all else fails, replace the lobelia in your baskets part way through the summer. Or replace the baskets. I did that last summer because I couldn't stand how overgrown and ratty mine were looking. I got them for 1/2 price around the 2nd week of August.
Lyn
AB, Zone 3A
----------------------------------
“Those who say it can't be done are usually interrupted by others doing it.” ` James Arthur Baldwin"
Eeyore

Return to Container Gardening