Container Gardening - Gardening Forums

Cedar trees in containers

For inspiration and advice about gardening in pots and planters, gardening indoors and outdoors, from balconies to terraces, and everything in between.

Cedar trees in containers

Postby isabelbrinck » May 26, 2008 4:15 pm

Can I? Or do they have to go in the ground?
Isabel
Montreal, QC
Hardiness Zone 5a
isabelbrinck

Postby Jade » May 26, 2008 8:57 pm

I have often used small cedars in containers with great results. I get them on sale at places like Home Depot. They make a super filler or upright element in a large planter. At the end of the season I toss them as rarely do cedars do well here - too dry and too many chinooks during winter.
Jade

Postby seacat » May 30, 2008 2:47 pm

Isable,

I have not yet had success with shrubs in containers though they exist, for example on posh Manhatten terraces. Usually they are really large containers.

I've tried 2 years running now and haven't had cedars, mugo pine, or alberta spruce survive yet. THOUGH, I didn't insulate the containers, because I didn't know about that. Apparently you can use either 2 inch form insulation, stiff and blue, down here in TO for rectangular containers or carpet underpadding for round containers rolled to 2 inches and then plant shrub, and maybe it will survive the winter. I might have read this in 'Container Gardening in Ontario'.

I'm going to try this insulation method this coming winter and see whether my two newest shrubs make it through.

But like the previous respondent, I buy less expensive shrubs, about $7-8 each. That's about the cost of a bouquet of flowers from a grocery store so if I throw them away next spring, its not the end of the world in any sense.

Seacat
Women hold up half the sky.
seacat

Postby Lindamct » May 30, 2008 3:05 pm

Isabel, a friend of mine has a condo. He has his cedars in wooden insulated boxes on his patio. It kind of looks like foil chemistry. This is going on perhaps 7 years now. They look very healthy :) Your local box store should be able to recommend the right stuff to use.
Lindamct

Postby Lizzie » May 30, 2008 9:12 pm

Hi Isabel.

I've had a few cedars growing in pots for three years now... both the expensive ones ($25 each from Sheridan/18in tall when purchased) and the cheap ones (about $5 each from Home Depot/8in tall when purchased). And the funny thing is they're all almost the same size now!

The pots are the black plastic/resin type that look like cast iron. I didn't insulate them and I don't even think I gave them the greatest dirt when I planted them. I've heard that black pots are bad for plants because they heat up in the sun but I've been wondering if the black colour has been the secret to them surviving the winter. I pull them right up against the wall over winter on the south side and try to remember to water them a bit in late fall. I also sneak some moo poo into them in the spring.

This hasn't been a well researched method but its worked so far. Hope this helps.

Lizzie in Toronto
Work is for people who don't know how to garden.
Lizzie

cedars in pots

Postby Blade » Jul 14, 2008 5:01 am

Hi. I have 60 5-6ft. cedars growing in pots since early spring, and all are very healthy. Horticulturist advised me to water deeply for about 4 hours with a drip line. I re-potted them in larger black plastic pots which I purchased from another horticulturist who assured me that they could grow in there for years (without becoming very very tall). I'm in zone 8; not a mention of insulating for winter. Hmmmm.

Hope yours are doing well!
Blade

Re: cedars in pots

Postby Lizzie » Jul 14, 2008 1:33 pm

Blade wrote:5-6ft. cedars growing in pots

Wow! About how big are your pots? I'd love a couple more... and the bigger the better.
Work is for people who don't know how to garden.
Lizzie

pot size for cedars...

Postby Blade » Jul 15, 2008 11:58 pm

Hi again. My pots are 18 inches deep and 16 inches in diameter. Went hunting about until I found a nice gentleman in Chilliwack who owns a landscaping company and sold them to me at cost: $3 each. It was my lucky lucky day. Bought 50, one for each cedar. Went back the next day and bought a few more for my larger plants. Filled them with amender soil, water them about twice a week, and they're beautiful. Not sure if I mentioned that I'm in zone 8 in the Fraser Valley.

All the best on your potting venture!
'Blade
Blade

Return to Container Gardening