Container Gardening - Gardening Forums

My basil keeps dying!!

For inspiration and advice about gardening in pots and planters, gardening indoors and outdoors, from balconies to terraces, and everything in between.

My basil keeps dying!!

Postby Surly » May 29, 2008 4:21 pm

I'm not sure what the heck I'm doing wrong but I've tried to grow it inside and outside, from seed and from seedlings...lemon basil, Greek basil, spicy basil, purple basil...doesn't matter what I do it keeps on dying. I have it in full sun like the instructions say and I water every 2nd day or so.

What the heck am I doing wrong? Should I try planting it in my garden rather than the containers?
Surly

Postby countrychic » May 29, 2008 7:56 pm

I have always planted my basil seedlings in the ground in the herb patch or with my tomatoes. I have had no problems with mine. Not sure why yours is not making it.
countrychic

Postby B_BQ » May 29, 2008 8:10 pm

Hi Surly:
You're having the same problem that I have with Coriander which doesn't do well under my supervision!
I don't know what to tell you about Basil. In its' natural habitat it loves lots of sun, and presumably fairly dry conditions. (Think Italy!). So, maybe you're being too generous with the water.
I plant mine with my tomato plants, and it doesn't get watered that often as I water my tomatoes via spikes, which water the tomato roots.
I would suggest a bit of tough love!
~BBQ
Zone 5b
South/Central Ontario

Every day may not be good, but there's something good in every day
~ Author Unknown
B_BQ

Postby Surly » May 29, 2008 11:15 pm

Well BBQ, my coriander is growing like gang busters. Maybe if the 2 of us get together we can grow both.

Maybe I'll try the next batch in the ground instead and see if that's any better. Containers don't seem to be working for me.
Surly

Postby Pepper » May 30, 2008 5:36 am

I've always found Basil pretty easy to grow, so my hunch is that you're overwatering it. Mine usually gets a good soaking once a week but that's it, so maybe hold back on the watering and see what happens.

Pepper
Zone 5A
Pepper

Postby isabelbrinck » May 30, 2008 12:36 pm

I tried growing basil from seed once and it didn't work. My own investigations of why that happened (or, rather, didn't) showed that perhaps the depth of the containers wasn't enough. Apparently, basil needs a lot of depth for the roots, could that be your plants' issue too?
Isabel
Montreal, QC
Hardiness Zone 5a
isabelbrinck

Postby Surly » Jun 01, 2008 11:48 am

I don't think so. I've got it planted (from seedling) in a 1.5' deep pot. I think it's a water issue. I'm going to try it again in the garden and see what happens. I'll keep y'all posted.
Surly

Postby Surly » Jun 03, 2008 11:41 am

I just bought 3 new plants and put them in my garden. Time will tell...
Surly

Postby Hushypuppy » Jun 13, 2008 10:20 pm

Oh my God...too bad you are not closer to Montreal. The stuff is over running my garden. I planted it between my tomatoes and it is going nutz. I actually dug some out and gave it away. I started mine from seed and had 100% germination, and a set of mighty little plants.
I have also been able to grow it in a sunny window all winter long.
Basil thrives on neglect. Dry soil, lots of sun. No need to fertilize..just leave it be and it will grow like a weed. If all else fails buy a starter plant at the nursery. It is dead cheap and by the end of July you will have a healthy size bush!
Best of Luck

Kris
A Basset Is An Asset!
Hushypuppy

Postby Surly » Jun 14, 2008 11:06 am

Well, everything seems to be doing quite well now that it's in the ground instead of a pot. I'm going to try growing some inside again tho and I'll ignore it as you suggest. I guess I just watered it too much.
Surly

Next

Return to Container Gardening