Container Gardening - Gardening Forums

My basil keeps dying!!

For inspiration and advice about gardening in pots and planters, gardening indoors and outdoors, from balconies to terraces, and everything in between.

Postby Greentomato » Jun 17, 2008 6:42 am

Hi Surly,
I keep having the same problem. I have tried growing Basil now for over 2 years and always get the same result. The leaves are a rich green to begin with then slowly they turn yellow and start to blacken around the edges. The whole stalk then toughens and the plant eventually dies off.

Doesn't seem to matter what I do here, less water, more water, trim dead leaves, moving the plant from full light to semi lite places ...nothing changes this process.

Initially I thought it was because I live in Ireland and the weather isn't exactly similar to Italy. So I moved them around finding the warmest place with the most light ...still no change. It's now early summer and one of my plants is already beginning to go through this process.

Maybe Im just not meant to have Basil :'S
Greentomato

Postby B_BQ » Jun 17, 2008 7:06 am

Hello Greentomato:

Are you really posting from Ireland? Great. Welcome. I'm from England originally, but have lived in Canada for many years.

Have you tried putting your basil into a large pot - with absolutely nothing else? This worked for me when I was growing it on a second storey deck. I had read somewhere that basil likes its' own space, and doesn't like to share! You could try this, which would also give you the ability to follow the sun with the pot! :lol:

~BBQ
Zone 5b
South/Central Ontario

Every day may not be good, but there's something good in every day
~ Author Unknown
B_BQ

Postby Surly » Jun 19, 2008 9:49 am

update...my basil is now doing wonderfully in the ground. Guess that's where I'll plant them from now on.
Surly

Postby Greentomato » Jun 19, 2008 12:46 pm

Hi BBQ,

Thanks for the reply. Yea I might try that. the plants are in their original "bought from store" pots. Though on the info label attached to them its says nothing about changing pots, but I guess I could try it.

I'll get back to ya with the results.

Thanks

p.s. Yes Im from Ireland ...Belfast to be exact.
Greentomato

Postby LinkCrim » Jul 11, 2008 2:27 am

hey guys, first post as nooby :p. I've just recently bought a sweet basil from nurseries and its been around 2 weeks since I've planted in my bed. Yesterday I noticed many holes on the leaves near the top and I'm very worried. I checked the underside of the leaves for excrements or bugs but couldn't find any. Who has any clue what to do?? Thankss!
LinkCrim

Postby Greentomato » Jul 24, 2008 7:15 am

Nope Surly, my plants are still dying.

They (leaves) are now light green in color and black at the tips ...the whole plant looks like this, its texture is rigid with almost wood-like stalks and thinning, the plants are not bushy.

Poor things.
Greentomato

Postby Surly » Jul 24, 2008 9:36 am

mine did the same thing in pots. I have no idea why it makes such a difference to them. They're huge and bushy and I've got more than I can use now that it's in the ground. Here's an idea...take your wilted plant, find a secluded spot in a park nearby and plant it. Only you will know what it is, it'll likely go unnoticed by passersby and you can go when you want and snip a few branches. They keep for a long time if you put them in a glass of water on the counter. I have some that's been there for about 2 weeks and it's still lush and green...it's even thrown off roots.

and yes, the wilted plant will regrow. I took 3 half dead lemon basil plants out of a container and put them in the ground. They're huge now.

Linkcrim...could be slugs. I find them on my basil (and everything else)
Surly

Postby isabelbrinck » Jul 25, 2008 4:27 pm

Guerilla gardening, love it :)
Isabel
Montreal, QC
Hardiness Zone 5a
isabelbrinck

Re: My basil keeps dying!!

Postby ladyisis » Aug 08, 2008 9:13 am

Hi Surly,

Saw your post. I have grown basil in a container on my balcony for the first time. It is doing really well.

I also have rosemary and thyme. Use them often.

When I seeded my basil I put them individually in a store bought container for growing from seeds, with a cover.

I sometimes have more seeds than containers so I put a wooden skewer for chicken breasts and cover it and don't touch them until they are 6 inches high; even when I uncover them I don't water them. What I do is I leave them for another week in the cotainers until the leafs open. Then I transfer them to a larger pot with earth and peatmoss. I then mix it up and put just a tablespoon of water right near the stem.

I thenk wait and wait and when I think it's big enough to take more water; then I will then water it very moderatly until it becomes much bigger.

I put only two plants in one pot. It has a lot of room to grow and become much bigger. The more you put small herbs together then take the nourishment from each other. Too much I think and slows down the process of growing and the leaves don't become bigger. It ends up being a small herb.

Hope this helps.

I am rambling on here, but I so enjoyed nuturing these herbs to full bloom.

Glad your basil is working out now.
ladyisis

Re: My basil keeps dying!!

Postby Greentomato » Sep 11, 2008 8:23 am

Hi there again, I have finally found out what my problem is ...Mealybugs. Any ideas on how to remove them? I found that squishing them is a never ending process, even though someone said they reproduce slowly, I squish all from the leaves and the next day they are all back again, is there a safe method of removing them permanently?

Thanks,
Sean
Greentomato

PreviousNext

Return to Container Gardening