Container Gardening - Gardening Forums

Pansies in pots

For inspiration and advice about gardening in pots and planters, gardening indoors and outdoors, from balconies to terraces, and everything in between.

Pansies in pots

Postby Surly » Jun 01, 2008 11:56 am

Hi there

I think there was a posting about pansies somewhere but I can't find it now so I'll start a new one. I have a big pot on my front porch with mostly pansies in it. I keep it watered and it was doing really great till just recently. It doesn't get a huge amount of direct light and altho the pansies are still blooming they're getting really long (is it called 'leggy'?) and I was wondering if I need to cut them back and let them grow again. I hate to cute off all the flowers but I don't know any other way to stop this crazy growth spurt. They're getting so long that they're flopping over.

Once I'm dressed (lazy start to my day :wink: ) I'll take a pic and post it so you can see what I mean.
Surly

Postby Eeyore » Jun 01, 2008 11:27 pm

Pansies are a cool weather plant and will get leggy and stop blooming if it gets too warm. cutting them back will encourage them to bush out and they should resume blooming.
Lyn
AB, Zone 3A
----------------------------------
“Those who say it can't be done are usually interrupted by others doing it.” ` James Arthur Baldwin"
Eeyore

Return to Container Gardening