Container Gardening - Gardening Forums

Ask a stupid question.... but

For inspiration and advice about gardening in pots and planters, gardening indoors and outdoors, from balconies to terraces, and everything in between.

Ask a stupid question.... but

Postby evepet » Jun 02, 2008 9:10 am

I'd appreciate some advice re watering of containered gardens. Obviously I don't want things to dry out, but I'm wondering if there is any sort of 'guideline'?? I have four 'over the railing' containers, planted quite heavily with plants in the (expensive) Miracle Gro soil that's recommended for containers. I put stryoform peanuts in the bottom, and the excess water drains through quite quickly. So far I've watered practically every morning. I stick my finger in and the soil is borderline damp prior to watering... I'm wondering if I'm overdoing it?? Should I be waiting until it feels distinctly dry??? I have eastern exposure - sunshine from sunrise until about 1pm on these 4 containers, but totally in shade after that. The main reason I water in the am even if the soil at that time is still a little damp, is because (especially on sunny days) I fear things will dry out by noon..... am is the only time I water. I've read that you should avoid watering mid-day when the sun is highest/hottest... and also to avoid watering at evening, to avoid possibility of mildew??? If anybody can confirm that I'm doing ok, or give me any other suggestions it would be appreciated.
evepet

Postby kelly_m » Jun 02, 2008 9:39 am

Definitely water daily....early morn is the best time, but as it gets warmer you may have to do 2 waterings. Yes evenings could cause mildew, but perhaps if you do a little less of a watering in the evening if you are worried.

Hot sun watering will cause scorching, again, though, you can get around it by making sure you water the roots only, trying to keep the water off the leaves.

Kwho forgets to water hers sometimes! :?
Kelly
Zone 5a/b

OLD GARDENERS NEVER DIE. THEY JUST SPADE AWAY
kelly_m

Postby Eeyore » Jun 02, 2008 10:09 am

Evepet, I add coir fibre to my soil mix. It helps hold water. In the hot days of summer you will likely have to water twice as Kelly mentioned. Don't allow the planters to dry out completely, especially if it is a soiless mix. When peat becomes dry it is sometimes difficult to get it to absorb moisture.
Lyn
AB, Zone 3A
----------------------------------
“Those who say it can't be done are usually interrupted by others doing it.” ` James Arthur Baldwin"
Eeyore

Postby evepet » Jun 02, 2008 10:25 am

Thx Kelly & Eeyore! Much appreciated. I'll continue as I'm doing, and keep an eye on things as the temps & sun get hotter. :D
evepet

Return to Container Gardening