Container Gardening - Gardening Forums

did i overfill it?

For inspiration and advice about gardening in pots and planters, gardening indoors and outdoors, from balconies to terraces, and everything in between.

did i overfill it?

Postby Surly » Jun 06, 2008 11:38 am

my biggest pot outside is about 2' across and 2.5' deep but I think I have too much in it. I put in 3 cherry tomato plants (I ran out of pots and garden space and didn't want to throw the plants out) and some nasturtium seeds. The seeds have all sprouted and there's about 11 8" tall plants growing. Everything seems to be doing really well but I'm wondering if it'll all get root bound and die.

Should I try to thin out the nasturtiums or remove a couple of the tomatoes? I think I may damage roots moving the toms tho.

or should I just leave things be and see what happens?
Surly

Postby Eeyore » Jun 06, 2008 12:55 pm

If you have lots of other toms elsewhere I would just leave it. Your toms may not be as prolific in such crowded quaters but it's am interesting combination. I'd love to see a photo later on when it's blooming.
Lyn
AB, Zone 3A
----------------------------------
“Those who say it can't be done are usually interrupted by others doing it.” ` James Arthur Baldwin"
Eeyore

Postby Surly » Jun 06, 2008 6:42 pm

Yeah...I've got another cherry tom in another pot with some herbs and a whole whack of beefsteak and reg tomatoes in the garden.

I'll post a pic as soon as it blossoms. I took some shots the other day of most of my plants but I've just been so busy with work I haven't had time to process any yet.
Surly

Postby Eeyore » Jun 06, 2008 9:52 pm

That sounds familiar.... I took a bunch of shots last week, I just have to find my camera now....
Lyn
AB, Zone 3A
----------------------------------
“Those who say it can't be done are usually interrupted by others doing it.” ` James Arthur Baldwin"
Eeyore

Postby isabelbrinck » Jun 20, 2008 6:49 pm

Surly, did you ever post those pics? I received a cherry tomato plant at my house/terrace-warming party yesterday so I'm curious to learn all I can about them!
Isabel
Montreal, QC
Hardiness Zone 5a
isabelbrinck

Postby Surly » Jun 20, 2008 8:33 pm

no...I haven't yet. I'm kinda waiting till things bloom. it's all just a big mass of green right now...but things are still growing really well. I thought I'd have problems cuz the pot's so full but so far so good.
Surly

Postby isabelbrinck » Jun 20, 2008 10:14 pm

oops! i didn't notice how recent your post was :oops:
Isabel
Montreal, QC
Hardiness Zone 5a
isabelbrinck

Postby Surly » Jul 01, 2008 4:14 pm

well...I finally have one nasturtium bloom and a few wee green tomatoes so I guess I didn't overfill the pot after all :D
Surly

Return to Container Gardening