Container Gardening - Gardening Forums

What would you do if you had burnt your dracaenas?

For inspiration and advice about gardening in pots and planters, gardening indoors and outdoors, from balconies to terraces, and everything in between.

What would you do if you had burnt your dracaenas?

Postby isabelbrinck » Jun 07, 2008 12:50 pm

A couple of weekends ago, I moved to a new apartment and didn't pay attention when someone placed my dracaenas outside, in full sun. A few hours later, they were pretty much burnt to a crisp (see photos*). I cut off the burnt parts of the leaves, which seemed to increase in the next few days (that is to say: parts that had been green even after I broght the plants in started turning brown and wrinkly a few days later) . The plant isn't taking in as much water as it used to, I think. Not that either of these guys was very thirsty before "the accident", but I feel that the soil has drained even more slowly.

Anyway, what would you do? I'm hoping for leaf renewal... :shock:

* ok, I am getting annoyed at this "you are not allowed to post files with the extension jpg within this forum"... :x Why not?? Here are the photos on my Flickr account: http://flickr.com/photos/isabelbrinck/
Isabel
Montreal, QC
Hardiness Zone 5a
isabelbrinck

Postby bluebird » Jun 07, 2008 2:29 pm

They will slow down the moisture intake due to the loss of viable leaves which is sort of like the "factory" for plants. Check the moisture levels in the soil carefully before watering and only water once they have dried down about half way. Then water them so it goes right down to the bottom and don't water again until they are partially dried down. (Shallow watering encourages roots at the top rather than nice even roots top to bottom.)

Don't fertilize them until you see good active growth at the top.

As your plants have been grown in low light conditions the leaves cannot tolerate full outdoor sun. Best to put them in full shade when outdoors in the summer.

The leaves that have been damaged won't come back, but you can expect new growth from the top and as the new leaves come in, then just remove the damaged lower leaves. You should eventually have a nice plant again. :)
bluebird

Postby isabelbrinck » Jun 07, 2008 5:46 pm

Phew! Thanks for the hope, bluebird!
Isabel
Montreal, QC
Hardiness Zone 5a
isabelbrinck

Return to Container Gardening