Container Gardening - Gardening Forums

Would you cut this leaf? (Amaryllis)

For inspiration and advice about gardening in pots and planters, gardening indoors and outdoors, from balconies to terraces, and everything in between.

Would you cut this leaf? (Amaryllis)

Postby isabelbrinck » Jun 20, 2008 1:19 pm

Sorry, I can't upload the photo (I have ranted about this before...) so please follow the link:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/isabelbrinck/2589705521/

I received this Amaryllis for Christmas, and it bloomed very nicely (I think 6 flowers, in total) and the leaves have been doing very well since then. There are 5 leaves measuring about 2 feet each, and the plant recently sprouted two more leaves, that quickly have reached half a foot and continue to grow.

The thing is, a couple of the long leaves have started to yellow. I have a theory, but I'm not sure it's relevant. The question I have is: should I chop off the yellowing bits?
Isabel
Montreal, QC
Hardiness Zone 5a
isabelbrinck

Postby sunkeeper » Jun 23, 2008 3:08 pm

Starting one month after planting, you should start feeding your bulb. Use a regular houseplant food (one with equal numbers) twice a month while the leaves are green.

The flower stem will shoot up and after the bloom is finished, cut off the stem as close to the bulb as you can.

The strap-like leaves should be grown in a bright light. Keep the bulb fed twice a month and damp but not soggy soil.

After all danger of frost, put the bulb (still in its pot) outside. Sink the pot into the soil for ease of handling or you can grow it as a container plant. I note that those big leaves tend to blow over quite easily so sinking the pot is far less work.

Bring the pot indoors in early September before the first frost.

Stop watering the bulb. When the soil is dry, put the pot (bulb and all) in a cool, dry spot for ten to twelve weeks. The bulb wants to be around 55 to 60 F. This cool temperature is critical to get the bulb to flower again.

Don't store in refrigerator

Do not store the bulbs in the refrigerator if you store fruit there as well. Ethylene gas is given off by fruit and this can damage flower development.

Repot using fresh soil. The bulb should be planted so the “shouldersâ€
Scarborough,Ont. Zone 6A Lorraine
Suburbia is where the developer bulldozes out the trees, then names the streets after them. ~Bill Vaughn
sunkeeper

Postby joan w » Jun 25, 2008 7:15 am

I would cut off the yellow leaves as they are finished and no longer productive.

Is the amaryllis outside Isabel? If not, I would put it in a shady spot and gradually move it into the sun. The new leaves will make food and help to strengthen the bulb.

Around Sept. 1 gradually withdraw water and let it dry. Then give it a rest period. Watch for frost.

Hope this helps.
Image Image
joan w

Postby dlb » Jun 25, 2008 7:15 pm

I have all of mine outside, and have been fertilizing lightly. The leaves are in much better condition. They just don't get enough light indoors to be happy.

I noticed today that one of mine (a Nymph) has a bud. I suspect the cool weather a couple of weeks ago set it off so its little time clock has gone wonky. It didn't bloom last winter, so I expect it had some extra energy as well.
Dora
dlb

Postby skwij » Jun 25, 2008 9:22 pm

Just testing something here....bear with me

GOT IT!!!!!!

Here's how:

Right click the picture, select PROPERTIES, then copy the line that gives the location.

Type [img*] PASTE the location you copied from properties[/*img]

Now, you need to edit that location, because it's been tagged wrong. Delete everything AFTER the letters jpg and it should show.

Also when typing this out, remove the * I inserted, to show what to type.
skwij

Postby isabelbrinck » Jun 26, 2008 4:48 pm

sweeeeeeeet! thanks so much! :D
Isabel
Montreal, QC
Hardiness Zone 5a
isabelbrinck

Postby isabelbrinck » Jun 26, 2008 4:50 pm

Oh yeah, I almost forgot: I took down all of sunkeeper's advice. Thanks, joan w, for adding the bit about putting it *gradually* in the sun. My new leaves had started to burn out there and I was too goofy to think of protecting them a bit more.
Isabel
Montreal, QC
Hardiness Zone 5a
isabelbrinck

Postby butterfly » Jul 02, 2008 1:13 pm

isabelbrinck wrote:Oh yeah, I almost forgot: I took down all of sunkeeper's advice. Thanks, joan w, for adding the bit about putting it *gradually* in the sun. My new leaves had started to burn out there and I was too goofy to think of protecting them a bit more.

If you repotted twice in a week, that alone is very stressful on the plant

it has to adjust

Pick the fruit off the plant. That is too much weight for a plant trying to adjust in new soil

Once the plant is settled, then it should be ok
Cheers Butterfly

Having a place to go - is a home. Having someone to love - is a family.
Having both - is a blessing."--Donna Hedges
butterfly

Return to Container Gardening