Container Gardening - Gardening Forums

Scarlet Runner Bean (Phaseolus coccineus) leaves drying...

For inspiration and advice about gardening in pots and planters, gardening indoors and outdoors, from balconies to terraces, and everything in between.

Scarlet Runner Bean (Phaseolus coccineus) leaves drying...

Postby isabelbrinck » Aug 31, 2008 5:17 pm

Beginning a few weeks ago, the leaves of my Scarlet Runner Beans have begun yellowing around the edges, then drying completely. Not all the leaves are affected, but the number of those has increased. Could this be due solely to under-watering or could it be something else?

I admit, I wasn't able to fertilize the soil as much as I read I should. Shortly after the plants starting flowering, I used Shultz Expert Gardener Bloom Plus (10-60-10) because I read at http://www.gardenersnet.com/flower/scarletrunner.htm that they needed a high phosporous nutrient. I didn't notice any improvement after that feeding.

The plants are still producing some beans, although some small pods also dried up. It still has maybe a bloom here or there, and there several healthy leaves, as I mentioned.

Thanks for the help!
Isabel
Montreal, QC
Hardiness Zone 5a
isabelbrinck

Re: Scarlet Runner Bean (Phaseolus coccineus) leaves drying...

Postby earwig » Sep 02, 2008 8:29 am

I find runner beans will quite often do that and I don't know why. I find they do that even when planted in the ground.

Have you ever tried Hyacinth Beans? I had very good luck with them this year and find they grow better in containers than runner beans.
Betty
"The most serious gardening I do would seem very strange to an onlooker, for it involves hours of walking round in circles, apparently doing nothing." --Helen Dillon
earwig

Return to Container Gardening